Blue to purple on your own?

tudor_bjj said:
Guys, I do have a gi. But I put it on only once every three month (maybe). But I'm trying to persuade my most advanced student to train more gi with me. I like more training with gi.

@ kimurense

Bro, I have to disagree with you. IF Royce awards the belts after other criteria than the other BB doesn't mean it's about money. He has too big of a reputation to be into the situation of awarding the belts just to make people come to his seminars.

The fact that no-one else wears a gi shouldn't stop you from wearing one.

tudor_bjj said:
Guys, I do have a gi. But I put it on only once every three month (maybe). But I'm trying to persuade my most advanced student to train more gi with me. I like more training with gi.

@ kimurense

Bro, I have to disagree with you. IF Royce awards the belts after other criteria than the other BB doesn't mean it's about money. He has too big of a reputation to be into the situation of awarding the belts just to make people come to his seminars.
you'r probably right, there is a reputation about this, but it is prob bs. I wasn't trying to imply that your blue wasnt legit

Cojofl said:
The fact that no-one else wears a gi shouldn't stop you from wearing one.
Yeah, but I'd wear one if I was in the situation of defending collar chokes etc. As they don't like the idea, I've never "taught" them (except from the guy I was reffering at) techniques that imply the gi. Also, I tried to promote BJJ in close relationship with MMA. Otherwise, It could have been harder to make them want to learn pure BJJ. But don't get me wrong, I enjoy more the gi stuff. There are times when I'm fighting one of the two biggest guys at the gym (110 and 115 kilos) when I really am at the point of choking them with their t-shirt (so hard to pull anything except leglocks or RNC, forget about triangles, guillotines, neckcrancks...) :D

tudor_bjj said:
Yeah, but I'd wear one if I was in the situation of defending collar chokes etc. As they don't like the idea, I've never "taught" them (except from the guy I was reffering at) techniques that imply the gi. Also, I tried to promote BJJ in close relationship with MMA. Otherwise, It could have been harder to make them want to learn pure BJJ. But don't get me wrong, I enjoy more the gi stuff. There are times when I'm fighting one of the two biggest guys at the gym (110 and 115 kilos) when I really am at the point of choking them with their t-shirt (so hard to pull anything except leglocks or RNC, forget about triangles, guillotines, neckcrancks...) :D

It's not just collar choke defence and that sort of thing that would make a gi worth wearing. The friction (even if the other guy isn't wearing) will mean you have to rely more on doing things in a technically correct way and less on slipping your way through things. It would be a good way of improving your technical skills given your situation.

question for tudor_bjj about self training, how many people did it require for you to practice on your instructionals in order for you to get good enough for blue belt. The reason I ask is with my work schedule, I think I am going to be unable to attend any classes in my area. I am thinking about studying some instructional videos and attending seminars when I can, but, I really only have one person willing to train with me. Is that enough?

triggertap79 said:
question for tudor_bjj about self training, how many people did it require for you to practice on your instructionals in order for you to get good enough for blue belt. The reason I ask is with my work schedule, I think I am going to be unable to attend any classes in my area. I am thinking about studying some instructional videos and attending seminars when I can, but, I really only have one person willing to train with me. Is that enough?

Truthfully I would recommend getting your technique from MMA fights and watching Submission tournies. The quality isn't always pure on a lot of instructionals.

Hey Semco went from purple to black by himself...with no one to promote him. Anything is possible. :eek:

Cojofl said:
It's not just collar choke defence and that sort of thing that would make a gi worth wearing. The friction (even if the other guy isn't wearing) will mean you have to rely more on doing things in a technically correct way and less on slipping your way through things. It would be a good way of improving your technical skills given your situation.
Oh, so you didn't see the "etc." after "defending collar chokes"?
ETC. Now you see it? :D

triggertap79 said:
The first six months two persons. Then 6 or 7. I guess you can get your blue, even by rolling constantly with only one person (if that person keeps progressing just or merely like you).

Ive had I dont know, something like 1 year of BJJ training on my own, with my friends and from instructionals and when I was on seminar with Edsons Carvalho BB, he said that he will promote me to blue in next 6 month. So.....its possible.

tudor_bjj said:

I suppose you could just wear the Gi every other week or so this way the people you're training will begin to get the feel of how you roll with the Gi and how you roll without the Gi. They'll become interested in wearing their own Gi because you'll be catching them in a lot of moves that they cannot use on you because they aren't wearing a Gi. Then after a few people catch on everyone else will follow. Then you can split your class up to Gi and no Gi weeks or weeks in a row. This should imrove everyone's game.

Cool that you do the stuff on your own. I think if you do enough competetions and continue to expose yourself to tough people every once in a while so you can reflect on that and continue to study tape and stuff you'll get there. Good luck.

anthony27 said:
I suppose you could just wear the Gi every other week or so this way the people you're training will begin to get the feel of how you roll with the Gi and how you roll without the Gi. They'll become interested in wearing their own Gi because you'll be catching them in a lot of moves that they cannot use on you because they aren't wearing a Gi. Then after a few people catch on everyone else will follow. Then you can split your class up to Gi and no Gi weeks or weeks in a row. This should imrove everyone's game.

Cool that you do the stuff on your own. I think if you do enough competetions and continue to expose yourself to tough people every once in a while so you can reflect on that and continue to study tape and stuff you'll get there. Good luck.
That's a very good idea. I wanted for a long time to pull the Shaolin choke on somebody... :D

Why do you want a purple belt? If you compete no-gi, nobody has a clue what belt you are anyway.

Is it to do more teaching bjj?

I'm sure your skills could improve to "purple belt level", by competing with tougher and tougher competition--though that might require traveling to neighboring countries (Czech Republic, Germany ... I'm just guessing).

Good luck, though. What you're doing takes a lot of initiative and drive.

judogido said:
LOL. Never post on forums while drunk. Even worse, never browse ebay while drunk or you'll wake up the next morning with some strange purchases...... (the complete season of "The Waltons" ...? in Norwegian ...? WTF.....!)

Thats funny and probally true!

FiendishOne said:
Truthfully I would recommend getting your technique from MMA fights and watching Submission tournies. The quality isn't always pure on a lot of instructionals.

Umm, how does that work ? MMA has many more variables and I doubt you could pick up much good BJJ technique from an MMA match.

SKD said:
Umm, how does that work ? MMA has many more variables and I doubt you could pick up much good BJJ technique from an MMA match.

Seeing the move succesfully executed in competition you see the true detail.. Even in MMA. Some individuals don't show the best technique on instructionals.. Can't quite remember but I believe there was mention of one of the guys he trains fighting MMA soon (which I probably wouldn't quite agree with).

Now I know some guys realize really good instructionals, but even BJJ black belts will tell you some of the guys teach the technique incorrectly on a instructional/don't give away secrets to the technique.

wOg said:
Why do you want a purple belt? If you compete no-gi, nobody has a clue what belt you are anyway.

Is it to do more teaching bjj?

I'm sure your skills could improve to "purple belt level", by competing with tougher and tougher competition--though that might require traveling to neighboring countries (Czech Republic, Germany ... I'm just guessing).

Good luck, though. What you're doing takes a lot of initiative and drive.
As I stated above I don't need the "belt". I was just asking if I can get to that level. As for travelling: I preffer to take a trip to train than compete. Competing it's a thing that I don't actually enjoy that much: too much stalling, limited time etc. Maybe the IGJJF rules :D ... And when you go for training you get the chance to roll with so many different guys.
Thanks for the kind words! It really helps!

FiendishOne said:
Seeing the move succesfully executed in competition you see the true detail.. Even in MMA. Some individuals don't show the best technique on instructionals.. Can't quite remember but I believe there was mention of one of the guys he trains fighting MMA soon (which I probably wouldn't quite agree with).

Now I know some guys realize really good instructionals, but even BJJ black belts will tell you some of the guys teach the technique incorrectly on a instructional/don't give away secrets to the technique.
I really don't think that MMA video is really the best place for him to find technique for BJJ, mostly because it is no-gi, but otherwise I do agree with your point mostly. I really do have a hard time believing that some black belts teach technique wrong on video to hold back secrets. Honestly when a technique video is bad I think it's more due to lazy production than an actual attempt to hold back. There are good videos though, and even in the bad videos there is stuff to be learned.

But as you said I have found some of the best stuff from competition videos. Get a video with a lot's of footage of the best in the world (I really like the 2004 Mundials video), go through and watch the best fights and best technique sections and make note of the names of guys that have styles and techniques compatible to your game. Then make an effort to get more videos with these guys and watch what they do.

A lot of times watching just the technique videos is good, but it's like looking at BJJ through a magnifying glass. Understanding the technique can be important, but often pulling back and seeing how techniques fit into an over all game is more important.

Ybot said:
I really don't think that MMA video is really the best place for him to find technique for BJJ, mostly because it is no-gi, but otherwise I do agree with your point mostly. I really do have a hard time believing that some black belts teach technique wrong on video to hold back secrets. Honestly when a technique video is bad I think it's more due to lazy production than an actual attempt to hold back. There are good videos though, and even in the bad videos there is stuff to be learned.

But as you said I have found some of the best stuff from competition videos. Get a video with a lot's of footage of the best in the world (I really like the 2004 Mundials video), go through and watch the best fights and best technique sections and make note of the names of guys that have styles and techniques compatible to your game. Then make an effort to get more videos with these guys and watch what they do.

A lot of times watching just the technique videos is good, but it's like looking at BJJ through a magnifying glass. Understanding the technique can be important, but often pulling back and seeing how techniques fit into an over all game is more important.
Cause most of the time I'm doing no gi, I'm really into the sub grappling competitions videos. I've got all the best of ADCC, ADCC 2003 and I hope I'll get the 2005, too. I've got plenty of gi competitions, but it's so annoying when you see an awesome sweep that depends on grabing a gi and you can't pull it cause you train only no gi... :(
*reminding himself to train more gi*

Back