Blue to purple on your own?

tudor_bjj

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I'm a blue who is self-trained (no instructors in the whole country). Got it in less than 1 year. I train 95% of the time no gi. Do you think that it's possible to get to the purple the path I've followed till now in a decent amount of time (let's say - less than 5 years)?

If you have no instructors, how did you get a blue belt in the first place?

No idea, i dont think many instructors are going to be to happy about handing out a purple to someone theyve never met.

but if your mostly training no gi, then just keep doing what your doing... no belt there anyways.

If you can ge to a school, not only will you have better instruction but you will also have a better selection of rolling partners.

1st question is who gave the blue.
2nd question will be would be willing to give the purple.

I do know of a few representatives of different teachers that live in places like the philipines, europe, etc who train. They go around to different schools when they travel and even hit seminars. They buy tapes and honestly get pretty good.

Good enough to be a blue belt? Yes. Honestly blue belt means you know the basics. Good enough to be a purple belt? No. Not without being an exceptional student who is able to assimilate things visually that most people don't see. I would say something like 1 in 100 blue belts could do this. You really need the details. And the guidance of a qualified instructor who can give you the right direction.

Royce gave him his blue if i remember correctly.

It wont be easy..but with the right motivation and help(seminars, tapes, books etc) it is possible..dont let people tell you what you can and cant do.

Royce gave you a blue belt in 1 year, with only 5% no-gi training?

I think he made a mistake. More to Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu than just no-gi.

Hell Yeh !!! Just buy the damn thing and tie it on.

If you order it on the internet it will only be days before you receive your purple belt in the mail.

Commissar said:

Lol. Yeah you're qualified to critique Royce Gracie's promotions without even having rolled with the guy who made the thread.

With that said I actually don't agree much on seminar promotions when the guy isn't affiliated. However I do like the fact it takes out some of the bs politics.

Guys, I'm a blue under Royce. The fact that I train on my own (actually I have a class where I train some 10 - 12 guys; I don't charge them) made me develop a special "feeling" about the game. Cause I don't have anybody to ask "what should I do here?", I became very attentive on the details of the game and especially to the "Why?" I do that. I guess it's a slower process, but it's really helpful. My biggest concern is the training partners. Although they are very different phisically (some quick, some flexible, some powerful, some heavy), sometimes I just need somebody better than me to challenge me to my limits...
As for my level: I tapped 3 of the 4 blues I rolled at the seminar I got mine, 1 judo brown, all the whites I rolled with and I've got the chance to roll with Royce (the only white to do that). Didn't tapped him :) ! I swept guys from X-guard (right the moment Royce was watching), played a lot butterfly, even get back to half-guard after Royce side-mounted me (I know he was playing with me :)!) I'm not interested in actually getting the belt, but being at that level. DO you think it could be an impediment that I train almost only no gi?

I think it would be a long tedios task tudor to get to purple. There is alot of difference between a decent blue belt and a good purple belt. If you are ever away foreign at somewhere that has some purple belts, roll with them and you'll see for yourself.

Guys have done it in Europe. It is very hard to do if you have nothing to gauge yourself against though. Travelling and competing would be helpful in that regard. Also try and build up other areas of your game takedowns, standup etc.

John O'Brien said:
I think it would be a long tedios task tudor to get to purple. There is alot of difference between a decent blue belt and a good purple belt. If you are ever away foreign at somewhere that has some purple belts, roll with them and you'll see for yourself.
I watch a lot of footage from competitions, man. I know the differences between blue and purple... The problem is: I knew I can make it on my own to blue, but I don't know if I can make it to purple. That's why I've asked the question. Hope I'll be ready for the "long tedios task" :)

Commissar said:

show royce the $$$$$$$$$$$money and he will give you a Blue

dude just learn and practise much as you can from dvds and stuff.

a no instructor blue ????? are you kidding me. you must suck ......go to a real school and tell me your a blue ..........post results. poser

Throatyogurt said:
a no instructor blue ????? are you kidding me. you must suck ......go to a real school and tell me your a blue ..........post results. poser
I don't suck. Even if "throatyogurt" can make me think that you do, I'm pretty sure that you don't do it. You just take it up the ass. And with a good result, I bet!

i think the blue is attainable with mostly no gi experiance. the thing about purple is you have to know the pariculars of gi also.like spiderguard and mostly choking while using the gi.plus overall ability and knowledge.if yer a purple who doesn't know how to use th gi then yer going to run into a lot of problems.

I think it will be harder then blue, but why not?

If you do the same thing you do when you got your blue - which is train hard and think about your game then you might just succeed.

Just dont listen to the doubters and wankers and train hard.

Back