Blue to brown in 30 days

Come on now.. I aint saying she's not earning her belts, I'm saying I need to figure out what I need to do to be as successful.

Train multiple times a day for hours at a time, drill like crazy, compete as often as possible. No "secrets" or anything - hard work pays off.

Lloyd Irvin is a master at trolling... This seems like a perfectly legitimate promotion, but he phrased his email like this on purpose to make people question his decision and generate controversy.

Lloyd Irvin is a master at marketing... This seems like a perfectly legitimate promotion, but he phrased his email like this on purpose to make people open, read, and discuss the content of the email.

fixed

Lloyd Irvin is a master at trolling... This seems like a perfectly legitimate promotion, but he phrased his email like this on purpose to make people question his decision and generate controversy.

I think it is a mix between this and Mikey's fix. He does things to get people to open, read, and discuss his email, but he does it by doing controversial things.

I think it is a mix between this and Mikey's fix. He does things to get people to open, read, and discuss his email, but he does it by doing controversial things.

There's nothing controversial about promoting a purple belt world champion to brown belt. of course he words it to sound crazy, but how many people do you think would read it if it wasn't extraordinary, or as you said "controversial"?

I think what she has done is awesome.

I also think the way Lloyd continues to market is also awesome.

Just like any products that are marketed brilliantly, more often than not, there are exaggerations out there.

According to Tracey's own website, she has been training since 2006. Additionally, she decided in July of 2008 to make BJJ her life, and to move to train at Lloyds.

Her accomplishments certainly are feasible within this time frame. Maybe the bigger question was why was she still blue belt when she had already trained for over 3 years, and by her admittance for over 1.5 years at a very intense pace?

3 yrs from white to purple is actually a pretty brisk pace. At that rate you would be looking to get your black in 6 yrs or less.

There's nothing controversial about promoting a purple belt world champion to brown belt. of course he words it to sound crazy, but how many people do you think would read it if it wasn't extraordinary, or as you said "controversial"?

There's nothing controversial about promoting a double gold medalist to the next belt. The controversy comes at him waiting to promote her to purple belt just before the competition after dominating blue belt tournaments for a year, perhaps just so he could market himself and Tracy as a quick promotion. Everybody is discussing the ridiculousness of 30 days from blue to brown, because it is a somewhat ridiculous scenario. The question is not to me, is she a well deserved brown belt? My question is why was she a blue belt for so long and a purple belt for so short a time? These are the questions that Lloyd wants us to be asking, because it gets us to see that she is winning and his system is working. He doesn't care that a random blue belt wonders what is going on with his promotions, but even though I'm not as good as him and haven't been around as long, I can still see a marketing ploy, and its not just in the wording.

I can see that BJJ evolves into more of the judo way.

A good competitor may be graded very early. I mean if a high level wrestler or judoka with a short period of BJJ training enters a white belt competition I mean wtf?

It should be clear from the get go that if they can hang and roll competitive with people of a higher grade then it is a waste of time and sandbagging if they entered WB comps

Sure they may not have a great number of techniques down but their other grappling experience and in many cases their superior athleticism gets them thru, nobody is pissed that Barnett enters black belt tournies right?

Many young judo guys get their blackbelt as soon as the rules allow them, now if they are strong competitors they have thier game down, but a very specialized game. I have been to classes held by such guys, not that fun. do this and do it alot you know. now we have some older blackbelts, that never really competed much (many of them started as adults) but they have a wast number of techniques down, sure against those young studs they can't really hang but they got the technique down

Good competitor doesn't equal good teacher

That's very true. I've been surprised to see BB in judo at my club telling me they have got holes in their game which were surprising. Simple technique they could not even pull out in training just because they couldn't do them in competition. All of them were competitors and I guess strong one. (one of them is a div II champ).

BJJ in France is miles away from that, but it sure seems like the U.S. is heading that way.

There's nothing controversial about promoting a double gold medalist to the next belt. The controversy comes at him waiting to promote her to purple belt just before the competition after dominating blue belt tournaments for a year, perhaps just so he could market himself and Tracy as a quick promotion. Everybody is discussing the ridiculousness of 30 days from blue to brown, because it is a somewhat ridiculous scenario. The question is not to me, is she a well deserved brown belt? My question is why was she a blue belt for so long and a purple belt for so short a time? These are the questions that Lloyd wants us to be asking, because it gets us to see that she is winning and his system is working. He doesn't care that a random blue belt wonders what is going on with his promotions, but even though I'm not as good as him and haven't been around as long, I can still see a marketing ploy, and its not just in the wording.

It still isn't controversial. She was a blue belt for a completely reasonable amount of time, and while she won many big tournaments she never did win the Mundials. If she was already a blue belt world champion or had been a blue belt for 4+ years I could see your point, but being a blue belt (even a very strong one) for 2-3 years is completely normal, and less than four years to purple is pretty fast. She just happened to win the mundials right away and get to brown CRAZY fast, but there's no controversy here since she took double golds at the worlds in a landslide. Just the way he worded it makes people feel things and talk about it; in other words, good marketing :)

I've gotta side with Mikey here. This is Marketing 101. Present a service via an outlandish claim, which upon closer inspection, is NOT a one-hit kill, but a prolonged system that changes multiple aspects of what you do.

"Go from Fatty to Fit in 90 days!" (Protip- You work out REALLY FRIGGIN HARD and change up your diet completely)

"Lose 1000 calories in an hour!" (Protip, that's only if you finish the workout, which is about 40 minutes anyway. The intensity may keep you from doing half of that)

Go from blue to brown in 30 days!" (Protip, you've already spent a significant amount of time at the blue belt stage and are putting in enough hours on the mat per day to double or triple the workrate of an average weekend warrior)

Hate on the guy shilling it, not the girl winning the medals. Or buy it if you're so inclined,

There's no doubt Lloyd can produce grapplers but they all specialize in one area, I rather see more well rounded guys and gals produced by him because soon or later, they need to be.

In order for Lloyd to back up the amount he talks every single person he trains would have to be a world champion black belt over the course of several years. He makes it sounds like everyone has what it takes if they just train with him or buy his DVDs. That just ain't so. He may be a good teacher but his marketing is just terrible.

terrible maybe, effective definitely, here we are 12 pages later still talking about it.

terrible maybe, effective definitely, here we are 12 pages later still talking about it.

And we all know who Tracey Goodell is know. How many other non black belt female BJJ players can people name?

Lloyd is extremely effective in getting the names of his team members out. His camp has yet to to produce a black belt world champion, but people can name a lot of the members on his team. There is definately something to be said for this.

And we all know who Tracey Goodell is know. How many other non black belt female BJJ players can people name?

Lloyd is extremely effective in getting the names of his team members out. His camp has yet to to produce a black belt world champion, but people can name a lot of the members on his team. There is definately something to be said for this.

his elite team members have an impressive medal haul across all belts at IBJJF tournies tho.

and to be honest the majority of all BJJ instructors haven't produced a black belt champion either, margin of error allowed for, of the 150 adult black belt mundials winners, i'd say at least 75% were [primarily] produced by just 6 men (Royler, Carlinhos, Perderneiras, Carlson Sr, Fabio Gurgel/Jacare).

Once again J sho, your stats information is outstanding!

In order for Lloyd to back up the amount he talks every single person he trains would have to be a world champion black belt over the course of several years. He makes it sounds like everyone has what it takes if they just train with him or buy his DVDs. That just ain't so. He may be a good teacher but his marketing is just terrible.

Have you ever seen a commercial before?

It looks like Lloyd Responded to this thread lol:

It seems that Tracey Goodells Brown Belt
promotion has caused some talk around
the grappling World. :)

She's been getting a crazy amount of
hits from people all over the World on
her facebook page and emails.

I told her that we might as well shoot
a video to set the record straight so she
doesn't waste to much time having to
respond to every single person.

So here is the video to address the most
FAQ

<CLICK HERE> TO WATCH VIDEO

If you notice, none of my top guys spend time
posting on internet forums. My position is that
if you have time to spend on forums listening
to people give their opinions on stuff that they
have no idea about, then you have time to do
more mental skill drills, more mental reps, more
video watching etc.

"Time Management" is a very important part in
our system that I teach, I just haven't been able
to get my guys off of Facebook yet! LOL I can't
even pull myself away from Facebook at times.

People think my system is all about hard training,
drilling etc. and yes it's true that they are very
important.

But there are so many other things that are
just as, if not even more important.

If you take 100 beta testers and put them in
an environment where all they had to do was
train, learn techniques, drill etc. but leave out
the other components that I'm talking about
you will have a flawed person, now don't get
me wrong, they'll get good, but nothing like
I'm talking about.(I'm going to prove this later)

Next I want to address one of the dumbest things
I've heard in a long time conceptually.

"Lloyd's guys are one trick ponies" LOL HAHHHAHA

Now if this was true and if it came from someone
that was in our gym training with us, then ok, they
could have a point.

But for an outsider to say we're one trick ponies
because my guys win tournaments with the same
stuff is CRAZY!

At the 'major' tournaments my guys will play their
A GAME, for example, Tracey's A GAME is simple,
"Pull Guard And Submit!", no sweeps, no coming up
for take downs, none of that, pull freaking guard and
work for the submission! PERIOD.

So the last 3-4 tournaments she's done exactly that,
pulled guard and has submitted 25+ people, 85% of
them with the Triangle.

As her COACH is she a one trick pony? HELL NO

Everyone in our GYM knows this.

Is her guard better than her top game? HELL YEAH

Does it mean her top game is bad? HELL NO

It just means her guard is better so when creating a
A GAME PLAN, she will be pulling guard.

Funny thing is that all of the people that people want
to call one trick ponies, have LOTS of tricks, it's just
that these bjj players just can't get past this one trick
at the particular level.

Anyone that goes to a major tournament and
strays away from the strongest parts of their
game most likely you can bet your life that
they won't end up on the medal stand.

Make sure that you watch this video, because
what Tracey did going from Blue to Black in
30 Days was simply amazing.

<CLICK HERE NOW> TO WATCH VIDEO

People that say she was a blue belt to long have
no idea what they're talking about and are just
stating their opinion based on no true facts, besides
them not thinking that it's possible to experience
the Grappling Phenomenon in short periods of
time.

JT Torres is going through it right now, the JT
Torres that just competed in the 2010 BJJ Worlds
is a completely different fighter now, There are
things that you can do to bring on this Phenomenon
and JT is experiencing it now.

I have another guy that also won the purple belt
Worlds with all Submissions that is going through
it as we speak. Actually it's kind of scary because
he's a different player every 2-3 days it seems.

He's been going through it for about 3 weeks now,
I've been at this long enough to see when someone
is 'IN IT', just I just have to keep him in it for as long
as possible this time around.

So everyone that said Tracey was a blue belt sandbagger
you'll realize after watching this video that you were just
hating on her also.

CLICK HERE TO WATCH VIDEO

I think I have to be the only instructor in the
World that has been accused of promoting
people to fast and sandbagging people at the
same time.

Thanks for the new Title.

Lloyd Irvin aka The Grappling Renegade
Forever The King Of Leglocks

PS. Watch the video now

Honestly I agree with him for the most part. I'm not sure where all the hate is coming from about this. If Lloyd had kept Tracey at purple for another year people would start jumping on him for sandbagging her.

Back