Blue to brown in 30 days

She deserves it competitively. It's true that she probably doesn't have the well rounded game of most brown belts who take longer, but hell, neither did I when I got mine. It's a promotion intended to push the student. If you win worlds your weight and absolute, well hell, you need a brown belt. Continuing to beat purple belts is just silly.

I remember being in side control/mount with her and being fine, but she has one of the sickest guards I've ever been in--very dangerous. It's obvious where she's been spending her time but when she becomes more well rounded with time it will only get worse for the other girls.

I don't know, I think continuing to beat purple belts is EXACTLY what she should be doing. Like most of Lloyd's stars, she has clearly developed one aspect of her game above all others and you can see it as she executes the same sequence of moves over and over with great success. That's a good approach, to a point, and certainly can reap benefits in competition. But jiu-jitsu merit should not be measured simply in terms of competition success. As you state, other aspects of her game are most likely not at the same level as her "Gameplan" (to use Lloyd-Speak), and I think purple belt is exactly the place to develop those skillsets. Perhaps she has them and we simply never saw them in practice. But I think there's a big difference between dominating with one sequence of moves versus controlling a match from multiple positions and finishing in a variety of ways.

Now obviously, I'm not saying that winning with one approach over and over again is a bad thing. Certainly Roger Gracie's dominance from the mount showcases the highest level of skill. But in terms of promotion, being able to execute an admittedly brown-belt level sequence of techniques over and over against what was clearly not the greatest depth of competitive skill (come on, how many of those ladies seemed to lack even a blue-belt understanding of triangle defense?) is not enough to justify a step up to brown belt, at least not to me. Of course, we've only seen this one side of her and perhaps Lloyd feels that the rest of her game, which he sees tested all the time at his school, is of a comparable level. In that case: so be it. He's her instructor and no slouch at that. But I worry that her glass might still be a bit empty, in which case this is less about promoting her and more about promoting Lloyd Irvin.

Leading up into the Worlds I used to
personally have these crazy 40-60 minute
straight rolling sessions with her
with the
whole purpose of these session to try to
break her!

This is the answer right here, from Lloyd's own mouth. He just spends insane amounts of personal attention on his 1 or 2 superstars. And I highly doubt she can afford the $1000/hr privates that he charges.

Of course she is talented and hard working, but with that talent and work ethic, she could train anywhere and do just as well, especially if the BB instructor concentrates all his efforts on her.

Do you serious go around shooting your keyboard off like that? You're so damn tough dude! I didn't say anything about her accomplishments. I was talking about Irvin DUMBASS. Learn to read. I don't care where you post, you're completely disrespectful and don't deserve to post here.

First off, this is exactly what you said:

Dickcheese douchebag said:
I'm a dumbass because there are comments that are derogatory towards this accomplishment?

With that said at the point you entered the thread nothing negative had been said about Lloyd either. You just assumed people were bashing this without reading. You're a fucking moron, but you can learn to hide it better with practice. practice hiding now.

Obvious marketing is obvious.

But let's face it, the man is a genius when it comes to marketing his crap. How many new blue belts got that e-mail, and are thinking "OMG! I'LL BE A BROWN BELT BEFORE FALL!" (conversely, I've been a blue for about two years, and I'd like to earn my purple by Christmas)

It's the way any mass market system is shown, from food processors to grills to P90X and Insanity workout programs. "Look at Person A! Now THIS COULD BE YOU!"

Disclamer- This in no way reflects on the competitors Lloyd puts out. Ryan Hall was a Lloyd product, so are Fowler, Easton, etc. No amount of mass marketing can distract from their mat skill.

I've heard stories of a guy from my academy who moved and joined Lloyd Irvin's school. He got demoted from blue belt when he joined and by the next year he hadn't been promoted back to blue belt but matched up well with purple belts.

I don't know if that was 100% fact, but I'm sure enough of it is true to know he does some strange things with belts.

I call BS! No one from your academy joined our school and got demoted. We don't demote people. More hater BS.

Is this coming from your degree in marketing?

Don't get so butt hurt, it's just an opinion. I don't have a degree in anything, I actually dropped out of college. I do work at a fortune 20 company and my job is using sales/marketing to help small and businesses grow. I don't know if Lloyd's spam style of marketing is effective, but it certainly rubs people the wrong way.

Tracey had a good year by the looks of it, certainyl the kind of results that could warrant going from blue to purple to brown in that kind of timeframe. Well done to her.

*blue belt gold at this years brasilieros
*double blue belt gold at this years New York open
*double blue belt gold at this years pan ams
*double purple belt gold at the mundials

If you look at the more controversial advertisers in the grappling world (Furey, Irvin, Cecchinne) they all tend to use very similar styles of marketing.

The thing is that Lloyd has students to back up his outlandish claims. Furey and Cecchinee do not.

From what I can tell it requires hrs of drilling. And from what I understandd a lot of his guys trained full rime. How were they so lucky to be in a position to train that Much? How were they suppoeting themselves? I wish I could train full time and compete at all the big events.

Definte congrats to Tracey.
A lot of people are saying she might not be well-rounded because she uses the same moves in most of her matches.
If you're competing, you do what works. Over and over and over and over, until someone else figures out how to counter it, then you move onto your next top move.
I've watched my matches a bunch of times and for the most part I do the same thing over and over. I have to vary it up adn do a counter to a counter, but hell no am I going out there against anothre person of the same rank, with the thought, Oh let me catch you with a triangle (a 13 year old kid has longer legs then me:icon_conf ), but I have plenty of things I can do from that set-up to finish.

Plus, if you're training full time, 2-3 times a day, every day of the week, with top competitors adn insrtuctors, and you don't have to worry about anytihng else... you'll definitely going to have about the sameamount of mat time as someone else who's trained for 6-8 years, 2-4 times a week, once a day, who is also a brown belt.

I earned my purple belt in less than two years ( I felt it was way too early, but I've grown into it), but I train as much as possible, every day, 2-3 times a day, BJJ, WT, Cardio. My 2 years equals somebody elses 5-6 years. I just wish I had the legs to throw up triangles like that, since I don't, I've come up with other stuff to catch people with.

Don't get so butt hurt, it's just an opinion. I don't have a degree in anything, I actually dropped out of college. I do work at a fortune 20 company and my job is using sales/marketing to help small and businesses grow. I don't know if Lloyd's spam style of marketing is effective, but it certainly rubs people the wrong way.

Generally effectiveness is determined by results. Lloyd Irvin once grossed a Million in a day, and his Academy alone puts your small businesses to shame by profiting well over a million a year. Maybe you should take a page out of his book.

Last edited:
Definte congrats to Tracey.
A lot of people are saying she might not be well-rounded because she uses the same moves in most of her matches.
If you're competing, you do what works. Over and over and over and over, until someone else figures out how to counter it, then you move onto your next top move.
I've watched my matches a bunch of times and for the most part I do the same thing over and over. I have to vary it up adn do a counter to a counter, but hell no am I going out there against anothre person of the same rank, with the thought, Oh let me catch you with a triangle (a 13 year old kid has longer legs then me:icon_conf ), but I have plenty of things I can do from that set-up to finish.

Plus, if you're training full time, 2-3 times a day, every day of the week, with top competitors adn insrtuctors, and you don't have to worry about anytihng else... you'll definitely going to have about the sameamount of mat time as someone else who's trained for 6-8 years, 2-4 times a week, once a day, who is also a brown belt.

I earned my purple belt in less than two years ( I felt it was way too early, but I've grown into it), but I train as much as possible, every day, 2-3 times a day, BJJ, WT, Cardio. My 2 years equals somebody elses 5-6 years. I just wish I had the legs to throw up triangles like that, since I don't, I've come up with other stuff to catch people with.

I'm pretty sure it's the MAJOR competition results that legitimize her belt, not mat time. I know plenty of people with more mat time than you can imagine that don't move up that quick because they won't place in MAJOR tournaments like the ones Tracey has. just sayin...

I've heard stories of a guy from my academy who moved and joined Lloyd Irvin's school. He got demoted from blue belt when he joined and by the next year he hadn't been promoted back to blue belt but matched up well with purple belts.

I don't know if that was 100% fact, but I'm sure enough of it is true to know he does some strange things with belts.

he may have demoted himself because he wasn't matched up with the whitebelts and just never got promoted again..

She deserves it competitively. It's true that she probably doesn't have the well rounded game of most brown belts who take longer, but hell, neither did I when I got mine. It's a promotion intended to push the student. If you win worlds your weight and absolute, well hell, you need a brown belt. Continuing to beat purple belts is just silly.

I remember being in side control/mount with her and being fine, but she has one of the sickest guards I've ever been in--very dangerous. It's obvious where she's been spending her time but when she becomes more well rounded with time it will only get worse for the other girls.

This should pretty much clear up any question I think any should have about her qualifications.

Generally effectiveness is determined by results. Lloyd Irvin once grossed a Million in a day, and his Academy alone puts your small business to shame by profiting well over a million a year. Maybe you should take a page out of his book.

Fortune 20 > million a year.

Back