Blue to brown in 30 days

He's just a genius marketer. every "mistake" you think you see is purposely placed there and discovered effective through millions of dollars in marketing research of what attracts the eye, gains attention, makes you more likely to open the letter, read what's important, and stay on the page, share the page with others(even just to show them all the "mistakes" and laugh), and lots more.

You know what you are talking about. The format of his e-mails (and web sites in general) are very much from the direct marketing/sales school of thought. He uses it because it works.

Do a Google search for "how to pick up women" -- these guys have the format down very well.

P.S. - Did you know that the #1 most read portion of a sales letter is the P.S.?

philodox said:
P.S. - Did you know that the #1 most read portion of a sales letter is the P.S.?

Ha! I see what you did there...

that's not what he was saying. he's asking if winning worlds is the same as being the best purple. you can win worlds JUST because one facet of your game is amazing. maybe u have black belt guard, or u have olympic-level wrestling and can stall well. it doesn't necessarily mean you're rounded out like brown belt should be.

I understand the point, I just believe it is an erroneous one. I believe winning worlds is the same as being the best purple because it is the most objective standard we have. Heck you beat all the other purple belts in a stressful situation when they were giving 100% I can't think of a better standard to use.

Also I think it is a little simplistic to say you can win worlds JUST because one facet of you game is amazing. You also have to be able to implement that game against an opponent who will be attempting to prevent you from playing your game. Yes you can rely on your guard to win you matches but, with a great guard you will end up on top after a sweep. Your top game may not be how you score points but, it has to be at a level to keep you from losing or you must know how to sufficiently mask your weakness to a point where it can not get you bet.

I am a guard player and at worlds I faced Evan Gideon (blue belt med-heavy world champion, 2nd in Blue belt absolute) I lost the match 5-4. I was able to sweep him twice and fairly quickly, but I lost the match because I was not able to keep my weaker top game from losing me the match. I pulled guard and sweep him fairly quickly but, after several minutes of being unable to pass his guard he sweep me and was able to chain a pass off his sweep. I was able to recover guard and sweep him quickly again, but could not pass his guard. I had a guard that was good enough to win, but I could not keep my weakness from costing me the match.

Yes, you can be mostly one-dimensional and win worlds but, you will also have to be capable of mitigating your weakness against competition who will become aware of it and will be looking to exploit it.

IMO results matter more at the end of the day than so notion of being well-rounded which can mean being mediocre at all facets. I understand the counter point, I just don't agree with it.

A BJJ match is between 6 and 10 minutes. 6-10 minutes to decide who wins with years of training. Quite often the "better" person loses. The more well rounded, well trained guy can be on an off day or simply doesn't play the rules as well (ie tries to finish but the safer player waits and wins on advantage). And it is very true that you can be a 1- or 2- dimensional player (many great BBs are) and win.

You know what you are talking about. The format of his e-mails (and web sites in general) are very much from the direct marketing/sales school of thought. He uses it because it works.

Do a Google search for "how to pick up women" -- these guys have the format down very well.

P.P.S.

For truth

A BJJ match is between 6 and 10 minutes. 6-10 minutes to decide who wins with years of training. Quite often the "better" person loses. The more well rounded, well trained guy can be on an off day or simply doesn't play the rules as well (ie tries to finish but the safer player waits and wins on advantage). And it is very true that you can be a 1- or 2- dimensional player (many great BBs are) and win.

I could see the "better" person losing the match... but to get to the final's, you have to beat a lot of people. People who would have seen at least one or two of your matches. Generally by the finals, the opponent will have a general idea of what your strengths are. And try to avoid them. If you can force your game and still get the win when the opponent knows what you want to do, then you deserve to win and are the "better" person.

I could see the "better" person losing the match... but to get to the final's, you have to beat a lot of people. People who would have seen at least one or two of your matches. Generally by the finals, the opponent will have a general idea of what your strengths are. And try to avoid them. If you can force your game and still get the win when the opponent knows what you want to do, then you deserve to win and are the "better" person.

Exactly! With a guard game that good, it's probably in her best interest to focus on submissions from that position the most. The only things she would really need to master from all other positions would be the escapes, transitions, and sweeps that would bring her back to guard.

What standard do we want to use to determine who is "better." Personally, I believe competition results should be that standard. Competition results are definitive and objective. Yes a well trained guy can lose by not playing the rules well, but the rules are known by both parties and strategy it a component of all competition. There is a certain stigma attached by using a safe strategy, but winning should be the ultimate aim in any competition. If you are able to win against superior ability with a superior strategy, then you are "better" IMO because strategy is an integral part of any competition. In every other sport underdogs who use strategy to beat an opponent with superior "ability" are praised for their efforts, but for some reason a negative stigma is attached to using strategy to beat an opponent with superior "ability" i.e Mendes vs Cobrinha.

Now I freely admit this line of reasoning views BJJ primarily as a sport. If you want to view BJJ strictly as a martial art other standards could be used, but that is a discussion with a larger scope.

Knowing him he probably planned this out to be a marketing tool for himself, and to attract more people who are in a rush to get to black belt. I am pretty certain it will work.

I dont think you can plan to promote someone to purple 2 weeks before Mundials, and then expect them to win at that new belt, and then plan to promote them again, just for the sake of good marketing.

Its very strange nonetheless.

Lloyd seems like he is the only guy in the world who people will say sandbags, and promotes too quickly at the same time.

Very, very strange situation.

Either way, its debatable Tracey deserves the Brown right away, but whats not debatable imo is that she was held back at Blue for a little too long, and deserved to be in the Purple division. I think its obvious he did plan that much.

Here is the pre-Mundials email.

"In all honestly it could be viewed that way. I mean
she wants to be a World Champion, the last six
months her jiu jitsu has skyrocketed to amazing
levels for a blue belt.

In the last few months she's won double Gold
at the NY Open, she took double Gold at the
Pan Ams and she just won the Brazilian Nationals
in Brazil
"

And here is post-Mundial email.

"Next thing you know people are saying
"I must've been sandbagging her","If
she won her wait and her open she was
a purple belt the whole time " blah blah blah

The fact is that she was a blue belt,
with blue belt skills, making blue belt
mistake and doing what blue belts do.

Then she experienced what I call The
Grappling Phenomenon! If you heard
my audio cd you already know what this
is.
"

I mean which is it? Lloyd is saying shes a blue belt, and making blue belt mistakes, yet she wins double Gold at NY Open, double Gold at PAN AMs and Gold at BRAZILIAN Nationals!?

Come on...

This is just marketing at its best.

Lloyd is not a fool, and dont ever mistake him for one.

I guess it's strange, but what does "better" mean? If you think the better man/woman wins, then competition is the way to go. I don't know that "better' = "most well rounded." It may be the case but not necessarily. Look at someone like Roger, who's awesome everywhere. Now imagine he was Brock Lesnar's size and had unreal wrestling such that he ALWAYS got top position, passed guard, and finished, and never got swept, but had little to no guard skill. If he NEVER got swept and finished everyone, who could you say is "better?"

It seems like so much of competition is sucking people into your game. Perfect example in the Rafa Mendes and Cobrinha gi matches. Rafa sucks Cobrinha into his game and doesn't let him play his. Maybe that's what instructors look at, maybe it's not what others look at. For most of us, we aren't invincible and need to be well-rounded to survive. But, for a given instructor, who knows whether the existence of holes/weak points in a given players game is what determines whether they get promoted. I would like to think you need to be fluent in all areas of the game, but far be it from me to tell an instructor what the criteria for promotion should be.

I dont think you can plan to promote someone to purple 2 weeks before Mundials, and then expect them to win at that new belt, and then plan to promote them again, just for the sake of good marketing.

Its very strange nonetheless.

Lloyd seems like he is the only guy in the world who people will say sandbags, and promotes too quickly at the same time.

Very, very strange situation.

Either way, its debatable Tracey deserves the Brown right away, but whats not debatable imo is that she was held back at Blue for a little too long, and deserved to be in the Purple division. I think its obvious he did plan that much.

Here is the pre-Mundials email.

"In all honestly it could be viewed that way. I mean
she wants to be a World Champion, the last six
months her jiu jitsu has skyrocketed to amazing
levels for a blue belt.

In the last few months she's won double Gold
at the NY Open, she took double Gold at the
Pan Ams and she just won the Brazilian Nationals
in Brazil
"

And here is post-Mundial email.

"Next thing you know people are saying
"I must've been sandbagging her","If
she won her wait and her open she was
a purple belt the whole time " blah blah blah

The fact is that she was a blue belt,
with blue belt skills, making blue belt
mistake and doing what blue belts do.

Then she experienced what I call The
Grappling Phenomenon! If you heard
my audio cd you already know what this
is.
"

I mean which is it? Lloyd is saying shes a blue belt, and making blue belt mistakes, yet she wins double Gold at NY Open, double Gold at PAN AMs and Gold at BRAZILIAN Nationals!?

Come on...

This is just marketing at its best.

Lloyd is not a fool, and dont ever mistake him for one.

At least someone is rational. I am not gonna say anything about the legitimacy of her brown, because she's been tearing it up, but clearly she's wasn't a blue belt all this time. You think that this "Grappling Phenomenon" gave her the ability to jump two belts and win the worlds, bullshit.

I've heard stories of a guy from my academy who moved and joined Lloyd Irvin's school. He got demoted from blue belt when he joined and by the next year he hadn't been promoted back to blue belt but matched up well with purple belts.

I don't know if that was 100% fact, but I'm sure enough of it is true to know he does some strange things with belts.

I'm a dumbass because there are comments that are derogatory towards this accomplishment? Go back to the Heavyweights.

You're a dumbass because there is nothing negative in here about her accomplishments, and you obviously didn't read the posts... or my post history for that matter. I posted in the heavyweights like 2 times; all my time is spent in this forum retard.

^ Lol.

Opinions vary.

But no one can deny Lloyd is a man who knows what hes doing.

At least someone is rational. I am not gonna say anything about the legitimacy of her brown, because she's been tearing it up, but clearly she's wasn't a blue belt all this time. You think that this "Grappling Phenomenon" gave her the ability to jump two belts and win the worlds, bullshit.

Yeah, i mean come on. If you go to Brazilian Nationals, and win your division, youre probably ready for the next level.

Same with winning double Gold at Pan Ams. Which has just as many, if not more people in the divisions.

Last edited:
Back