Bloomberg once blamed banks making loans to Americans as the cause of the 2008 financial crash

That would be the message if we nominated Bloomberg.

We're talking about the general. Voting for Trump sends a message to Washington that corruption, authoritarianism, and plutocracy are popular.

To be clear, the article states that Bloomberg's claim is accurate.

"He went on: "And then Congress got involved — local elected officials, as well — and said, 'Oh that's not fair, these people should be able to get credit.' And once you started pushing in that direction, banks started making more and more loans where the credit of the person buying the house wasn't as good as you would like."

Bloomberg is accurate that risky loans helped spark the crisis..."

The article concurs that risky loans helped spark the crisis; it does not concur that "pressure from Congress on banks to make loans to poor people ... was a big part of the banking collapse." Very, very different claims.

The attempt to incentivize minority home ownership was a contributing factor. Sorry, have not read thread so maybe it’s already been discussed.

Yeah, it's amazing how fast Hillary Clinton's anti-gay stance less than 10 years before her election was quickly forgiven by these same liberals.
This and mister black face of Canada got a pass. Among thousands of other examples.

The attempt to incentivize minority home ownership was a contributing factor. Sorry, have not read thread so maybe it’s already been discussed.

Was it really incentives or simply a removal of impediments?

So he'll get some of the millions of racist Trumpers in the alt right base. Alright! More of mini Mike dominating cash poor Donnie.

Yeah cause so many republicans flipped for the democrat who literally started a chapter of the KKK.

Meh. At this point, Bloomberg just threw away $300 million on TV ads to take votes away from other viable candidates. Absolutely no reason for him to be running.

To be clear, the article does not concur, and the claim is ridiculous. It was a commonly held view in some circles for a brief period, though. Doesn't reflect well on Bloomberg that he bought it, but it's being overblown here (and it wasn't explicitly a racial issue, though racial bias may have made some people more open to the explanation).

The Tea Party started in opposition to a plan to bail out homeowners, but then was primarily focused on an imaginary debt crisis. Birtherism was a key part of the movement, and the abandonment of what had ostensibly been their key issue right after the election strongly suggests that it was more of a racial or partisan thing than based on genuine fears about debt.

Lol @ having to explain this recent history to people.

There is no winning with these people. This is what sane politicians deal with on a daily basis. There is no way someone can overcome this.

Bloomberg is an "activist" candidate, which is similar to being an activist investor. He will stay in the race until the candidates that have the best chance of winning add his interests to their platform. This man does not want to be president.

We're talking about the general. Voting for Trump sends a message to Washington that corruption, authoritarianism, and plutocracy are popular.
I just find the idea of Bloomberg as the nominee extremely objectionable. I cannot in good conscience vote for the man. I also find it extremely hypocritical how Bloomberg supporters talk about Bernie not being a Democrat when Bloomberg was a Republican until October 2018 and the media gives them zero pushback on that.

I also believe nominating Bloomberg would be Trump's wet dream. Trump knows that Bernie has real supporters who will turn out for him, whereas Bloomberg has just purchased his support and it is fickle.

Bloomberg is just an overt manifestation of the reality that the Presidency in many ways is bought by the eventual winner. It's not really a representation of the will of the people at its most fundamental, its a representation of the power of the dollar.

I just find the idea of Bloomberg as the nominee extremely objectionable. I cannot in good conscience vote for the man. I also find it extremely hypocritical how Bloomberg supporters talk about Bernie not being a Democrat when Bloomberg was a Republican until October 2018 and the media gives them zero pushback on that.

That's fine. I find the idea of Trump as the Republican nominee to be even more objectionable. I can't in good conscience not support his opponent. I'm skeptical that there are any Bloomberg supporters who believe that Bernie not being a Democrat is a big strike against him. And I don't understand why one would expect the media (assuming you mean ideologically neutral straight news) would push back on a candidate for something like that. It would make sense for Democrats to push back on it, and I think many have.

I'm surprised that Bloomberg is doing as well as he is, as I had thought that he was pretty widely disliked. But I guess it makes sense that someone disliked by the right and left would be liked by centrists. Also, I think he's kind of filling in as a generic candidate so people who aren't thrilled about any of the options are telling pollsters they like him. Good ad campaign, too. But I think your reaction illustrates the problem that we (as a country) are facing: the view that Trump is the default or that it's all the same if you don't get your dream candidate. The current GOP represents the greatest threat to our democracy since the Civil War, IMO. Putting aside the disastrously stupid environmental policy, healthcare (the idiot left is saying that supporting a different bill that Republicans will block makes someone unacceptable while they're fine with re-electing someone who literally pushed to take insurance away from millions of people to pay for another tax cut for rich people) and bad economic policy, the rule of law and the idea that we should have free and fair elections are at stake.

No. YOU give ME a break.
giphy.gif

Nope. She was talking specifically about gang members who prey on kids to recruit them to gangs.
Oh no you don’t
You fuckers do this to everyone else all the time
She clearly means all black people based on your own criteria

Back