Bloody shins, bruised knuckles and big forearms.

Sunday July 14th

3x3 min jumprope warmup
1 round heavy bag
1 round pole bag
50 Kicks Right
25 kicks stepping Left
25 Kicks switch Left

Held pads for 30+ minutes. Basically a cooldown.

Monday July 15

3x2 minutes Jumprope
3x15 Leg swings L&R

First day of starting strength:

Squat-
45#x2x5
65#x5
75#x5

Press-
45#x2x5
55#x5
65#x5

Deadlift-
135#x5
145#x5

Foam Roll-
Quad
Calves
Inside Thigh

Stretch-
Lying hamstring w/ band

My knee feels quite good, all things considered. My AT friend is fairly certain its my PCL with an LCL strain. The shitty things is that my right knee is now feeling pretty creaky and shitty on the lower outside. Definitely need to keep mobilizing and strengthening. I've read that fish oil and glucosamine can make a big impact.

The good news is that I can box, kickbox and even grapple a little bit. A knee brace is definitely in order, I just need to find the right kind for contact sports. I'm going to really, really prioritize strengthening my entire body and mobilizing/stretching. If I'm in shape to compete later in the year, I will. But that is secondary to my long term health and fitness...

Tally ho.

Sunday Aug 18th

Open Mat

Monday Aug 19th

KB class

Wednesday Aug 21st
5 mile bike

Friday Aug 23rd

5 mile bike

Sunday Aug 25th

Open Mat

10 mile bike

Monday Aug 26th

MT pad and bag work

Tuesday Aug 27th

No gi class

Last edited:
Wed Aug 28th

KB Class

Round 1: 7 min swings @ 12kg/26lb alternating L&R
Rounds 2 & 3: 7 min clean practice @ 12kg alt L&R

Partner Circuit: 5 Rounds
1. 10 cleans L&R @ 16kg/35lb
2. Pushups and Situps while partner does L&R hand.

5 mile bike ride.

Saturday Aug 31st

10 Mile Bike

Sunday Sep 1st

Open Mat-

2 Warmup rounds
1 round off
4, 5 min rounds straight with 1:30 rest between.

Last edited:
Monday Sep 2nd

1.5 hour open mat

6 mile bike. Steeps.

Felt good. Knees are still holding up. Progress seems to have stalled though.. they are still sore and a bit scary in some positions. I can't go balls out without worrying. Need to re-prioritize mobility and flexibility work.

That being said, my body is holding up quite well to the increased training load. I would imagine it's mostly due to my new policy of "eat everything, all the time." Seems like I was WAY under on my calories. I was eating a very clean diet, but I guess the negative effects of running a calorie deficit while training hard are much more severe than the negative effects of a somewhat dirty diet. Lesson learned. Stoked!!

Last edited:
Wednesday Sep. 11th

KB class

3, 8:00 rounds:

Clean and press, 6 a minute, L&R, 12kg.

50 cleans L&R 16kg

MT Sparring

Monday Sep 16th

Hill Sprints:
5 Reps with 1 min rest.

Felt good. Well... good is a relative term. Felt not too horrible. I didn't get stomach sick or light headed. 5 was an appropriate number to start with. Knee feels good. A little sore and stiff from training this weekend, but overall pretty good. I'm still looking for the silver bullet to knock out the lateral pain on either knee, but have yet to find it.

Tuesday Sep 17th

Bike 5 miles, light

Feeling tired. Sore everywhere, sluggish. Knees hurt. Need to rest.

"I'm a 24 year old former competitive (not amazing, just competitive) rock climber with an interest in martial arts and weight lifting. I'm riddled with injuries, muscle imbalances and a deep seeded need to prove myself to myself.. if you know what I mean. I've struggled greatly in my personal, athletic and career life in the last few years, but I'm starting to come out of it. I'm finally starting to see the path to redemption. I'm 24 and feel like im 48. Hopefully 2013 will a year of growth and health unlike any i've experienced thus far. I plan to make it so.

I have climbed for 8 years. Lifted on and off, very poorly and very infrequently for 3-4 years and have been training Muay Thai/Bjj since fall of 2012. "

Hey man I dont read training logs. Im only on here to start one and happened to click on yours. Do you mind if I just use your intro paragraph for mine?

Heheh srsly though switch the rock climbing for skiing and the weight lifting for muay thai and I couldve written that paragraph. Back problems are a bitch man I know that well- just one of those constant things in life you gotta keep up on.

Anyways keep it up man

"I'm a 24 year old former competitive (not amazing, just competitive) rock climber with an interest in martial arts and weight lifting. I'm riddled with injuries, muscle imbalances and a deep seeded need to prove myself to myself.. if you know what I mean. I've struggled greatly in my personal, athletic and career life in the last few years, but I'm starting to come out of it. I'm finally starting to see the path to redemption. I'm 24 and feel like im 48. Hopefully 2013 will a year of growth and health unlike any i've experienced thus far. I plan to make it so.

I have climbed for 8 years. Lifted on and off, very poorly and very infrequently for 3-4 years and have been training Muay Thai/Bjj since fall of 2012. "

Hey man I dont read training logs. Im only on here to start one and happened to click on yours. Do you mind if I just use your intro paragraph for mine?

Heheh srsly though switch the rock climbing for skiing and the weight lifting for muay thai and I couldve written that paragraph. Back problems are a bitch man I know that well- just one of those constant things in life you gotta keep up on.

Anyways keep it up man

Thanks man! Yeah.. back problems can be totally debilitating. Very glad I've made headway with it. Goodluck on your training! Thanks for the encouragement.

Sunday Sep. 22nd

Moved boxes and furniture for 6 hours... not fun or easy. I am weak.

Open mat for 1 hour. Felt tired, but rolled ok.

Last edited:
Wednesday Sep. 25th

KB Class

4 rounds x 6 clean and press a minute for 7 minutes. 7 minutes rest. 16kg. Alternating L&R on the minute.

MT Sparrring
Felt tired. Need.. so much work. Backed up too much. Need to either clinch, stand and counter or circle out. Pillar defense and moving back is shitty and ineffective.

Friday sep. 27th

Warmup
2 rounds bags
3 rounds holding pads
3 rounds super light sparring

Back