Blocking the high kick.

The thing with high kicks is they have a long way to travel. Just step back. If its a counter kick, bring your arm up so your blocking with your upper arm where the thicker muscles are.

That's exactly the opposite of what u should do. You step forward to the kick, not backward. stepping forward makes their kick less powerful (due to the lack of space needed to gain velocity in the kick) and also allows u to counterattack with trips or punches.

It depends on where it is that the kick is coming from man. You could just cover the outer side of your ribcage with the thicker part of your arm (outer bicep) if the kick is headed more towards your upper-middle torso/neck. If it's going directly for your head though, I would just move out of the pocket instead of absorbing the hit. I find myself moving in and out of kicks more than absorbing them. You need to develop yourself to be much more receptive so you can keep an eye on your opponents head to read punches and still sense when a kick is coming. Don't get too carried away by either; pay attention to both hands and feet and play around with the distance.

P.S: It also depends on what it is that your practice. Back when I trained boxing I could cover up and receive punches while in the pocket while still managing to keep myself able to counter due to the size of the gloves that allowed me to "shield". If I try using the small 4 oz. mma gloves to cover while stepping inside of a pocket as my opponent fires I would get fucked.

That's exactly the opposite of what u should do. You step forward to the kick, not backward. stepping forward makes their kick less powerful (due to the lack of space needed to gain velocity in the kick) and also allows u to counterattack with trips or punches.

That would only seem to make sense if you could step into the kick before the person is able to turn there hip completely. Otherwise it would seem that you would be stuffing (but not really) a kick that has already reached it's apex.

First off, blocking a high kick effectively depends on how soon you recognize the kick and how it is being thrown, Chopping downward high kicks are defended against a little differently then one that is swinging upward and coming over or glancing off the shoulder and around your neck. Best practice for either if you recognize the kick in time is to step laterally and at angle toward the kicking leg \ , cover up high and lean at the waist into the kick with your elbows tucked tight into your side, chin tuck into your chest and glove pressed against the side of your head. Again, if you recognize the kick early enough this is the best practice because it will stop the kicker from getting any momentum into the kick, stuff it short and puts them off balance. When i do this i try to aim the point of my elbow (tucked into my body) at the midway point of their thigh, then step and lean right into the kicking leg.

Alternative methods if you dont see the kick in enough time to "stuff" it.

1. First off, stepping or leaning back is a terrible idea, unless they are really reaching for the kick. I would instead say to hold your ground and lean or bend at the waist, away from the kick (if you dont see it in time to stuff it). Basically making a bend at the waist and creating a plane with your upper body that the kick will glance off or slide over your forearm/shoulder. Again, keeping your chin tucked and your glove tight into the side of your head make the bend at the waist creating an angle with your upper body.... like / . Once you get proficient at this, and you can feel the kick beginning to slide up your forearm or shoulder, you can actually throw up your elbow (chicken wing) and toss the kick up over your head as it makes contact. Lean / , catch kick on shoulder/forearm, toss the elbow on the side catching the kick straight up in the air keeping your glove against your face (hence, "Chicken Wing")...... Do this effectively and time it well you can easily toss your opponent off balance (depending on how flexible they are), step in and smash your shin into the post leg as you toss the kicking leg up in the air. Once you get the timing down, this all becomes one motion and you will start watching your opponent doing mid air cartwheels when you bash your shin into that support leg after tossing the kicking leg up in the air:icon_twis

First off, blocking a high kick effectively depends on how soon you recognize the kick and how it is being thrown, Chopping downward high kicks are defended against a little differently then one that is swinging upward and coming over or glancing off the shoulder and around your neck. Best practice for either if you recogfnize the kick in time is to step laterally and at angle toward the kicking leg \ , cover up high and lean at the waist into the kick with your elbows tucked tight into your side, chin tuck into your chest and glove pressed against the side of your head. Again, if you recognize the kick early enough this is the best practice because it will stop the kicker from getting any momentum into the kick, stuff it short and puts them off balance. When i do this i try to aim the point of my elbow (tucked into my body) at the midway point of their thigh, then step and lean right into the kicking leg.

1. First off, stepping or leaning back is a terrible idea, unless they are really reaching for the kick. I would instead say to hold your ground and lean or bend at the waist, away from the kick (if you dont see it in time to stuff it). Basically making a bend at the waist and creating a plane with your upper body that the kick will glance off or slide over your forearm/shoulder. Again, keeping your chin tucked and your glove tight into the side of your head make the bend at the waist creating an angle with your upper body.... like / . Once you get proficient at this, and you can feel the kick beginning to slide up your forearm or shoulder, you can actually throw up your elbow (chicken wing) and toss the kick up over your head as it makes contact. Lean / , catch kick on shoulder/forearm, toss the elbow on the side catching the kick straight up in the air keeping your glove against your face (hence, "Chicken Wing")...... Do this effectively and time it well you can easily toss your opponent off balance (depending on how flexible they are), step in and smash your shin into the post leg as you toss the kicking leg up in the air. Once you get the timing down, this all becomes one motion and you will start watching your opponent doing mid air cartwheels when you bash your shin into that support leg after tossing the kicking leg up in the air:icon_twis

I use the lean most often when I have head kicks coming at me. The times I cannot avoid I cover and move in. Other times there's the interception kick like the teep or cut kick. Then there's the moving in semi-circle away from the kick. There's just so many variables involved that need to be assessed at that moment to determine what the "best" move is.

Also in your decisions, they should fall in line with your overall strategy...if the guy is a distance fighter, then you stepping back is going to be bad joojoo. If the guy is an inside fighter, stepping into the kick may not be the best either assuming you're trying to capitalize on someone's weaknesses and your strengths.

I think that people on forums tend to overanalyze though. Just fight for fuchs sake...you'll know whats right by fighting.

there are Lumpini champions that disagree with you.

Im sure there are, there are also some that would agree. Actually, the method described below for blocking that high kick i learned originally from a former MT world champ at Voss in Rotterdam (the lean away and toss kick up over head). The other method, step in at an angle and lean into the kick to stuff it, I actually originally was taught at a gym in Hat Yai, Thailand...... and there were plenty of accomplished Lumpini fighters in that gym. Either way, there are a myriad of ways to defend the high kick and varying opinions on what is the "best" way. I gave my opinion based on what i have learned and has worked for me, use it or dont use it is your personal choice and preference, no worries!

I use the lean most often when I have head kicks coming at me. The times I cannot avoid I cover and move in. Other times there's the interception kick like the teep or cut kick. Then there's the moving in semi-circle away from the kick. There's just so many variables involved that need to be assessed at that moment to determine what the "best" move is.

Also in your decisions, they should fall in line with your overall strategy...if the guy is a distance fighter, then you stepping back is going to be bad joojoo. If the guy is an inside fighter, stepping into the kick may not be the best either assuming you're trying to capitalize on someone's weaknesses and your strengths.

I think that people on forums tend to overanalyze though. Just fight for fuchs sake...you'll know whats right by fighting.

As always, excellent points!

I have always been jealous of the guys who can intercept kicks with teeps or cut kicks. Being a tall lanky fighter I spar with a couple shorter/smaller guys who do this to me really well, it is frustrating. I agree it is a great method. I just never could use it effectively, likely because i am tall and lanky and if someone is kicking high at me they are too close for me to get that teep off quick enough. As for the cut kick counter to the high kick (same time), i have seen and had several guys do that to me successfully, and it aint pleasant. Again, i never could use it real effectively unless i really saw the kick coming early. I much prefer to throw the cut kick off the block as they reset.

As for semi circling away, i agree it is also very effective but a bit more challenging to do consistently as it does require good footwork and timing. I think that is actually the best way set up your hands off a high kick defense. Circle away/pivot away from rear kick (both orthodox) step in with straight right hand!

Im sure there are, there are also some that would agree. Actually, the method described below for blocking that high kick i learned originally from a former MT world champ at Voss in Rotterdam (the lean away and toss kick up over head). The other method, step in at an angle and lean into the kick to stuff it, I actually originally was taught at a gym in Hat Yai, Thailand...... and there were plenty of accomplished Lumpini fighters in that gym. Either way, there are a myriad of ways to defend the high kick and varying opinions on what is the "best" way. I gave my opinion based on what i have learned and has worked for me, use it or dont use it is your personal choice and preference, no worries!

As always, excellent points!

I have always been jealous of the guys who can intercept kicks with teeps or cut kicks. Being a tall lanky fighter I spar with a couple shorter/smaller guys who do this to me really well, it is frustrating. I agree it is a great method. I just never could use it effectively, likely because i am tall and lanky and if someone is kicking high at me they are too close for me to get that teep off quick enough. As for the cut kick counter to the high kick (same time), i have seen and had several guys do that to me successfully, and it aint pleasant. Again, i never could use it real effectively unless i really saw the kick coming early. I much prefer to throw the cut kick off the block as they reset.

As for semi circling away, i agree it is also very effective but a bit more challenging to do consistently as it does require good footwork and timing. I think that is actually the best way set up your hands off a high kick defense. Circle away/pivot away from rear kick (both orthodox) step in with straight right hand!

Yessir, thats exactly how I coach the circle pivot. Right hand follow up.

I like to use the blocking technique employed by Diego Sanchez in his fight with BJ Penn, where one blocks the high kick with the face region.

you COULD just bring your elbow up to guard...

yeah, but it is a quick way to break a wrist or forearm if the kicker is putting that shin up there with any real force. Also, by just lifting the elbow the instep of the shin can still get through around the back of your neck, then you go night-night! Not to mention, allot of good kickers throw the body and high kick with the same motion and you wont be able to tell if the kick is coming to the body (high ribs) or head until the last second! Real good kickers can change the trajectory of the kick mid way or 3/4 of the way through the motion, in short, they plan to high kick and you lift elbow up they will just redirect the shin into your ribs.

Not a bad description of the way I tend to do "Nak Mood Badan" Luk Mai.

yeah, but it is a quick way to break a wrist or forearm if the kicker is putting that shin up there with any real force. Also, by just lifting the elbow the instep of the shin can still get through around the back of your neck, then you go night-night! Not to mention, allot of good kickers throw the body and high kick with the same motion and you wont be able to tell if the kick is coming to the body (high ribs) or head until the last second! Real good kickers can change the trajectory of the kick mid way or 3/4 of the way through the motion, in short, they plan to high kick and you lift elbow up they will just redirect the shin into your ribs.

looks like I got shut down...:icon_cry2

Back