Blocking the high kick.

LZD

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I'm looking for good (instructional) videos on how to block the high kick. Most interested in videos of the high switch kick (with the left foot) but also the right highkick and the right-highish bodykick. I really can't find any.

I'm interested to see different ways of doing this and comparing them to what I have learned/been practicing.

Thanks in advance.

The thing with high kicks is they have a long way to travel. Just step back. If its a counter kick, bring your arm up so your blocking with your upper arm where the thicker muscles are.

Blocking a right high kick -
Protect your head with your left glove while bringing the right glove across the outside of the forearm to help protect it further. Catching a kick with your forearm alone can cause damage. There was a good video posted here sometime last week with a dutch kickboxer explaining the different blocks..

Blocking a right high kick -
Protect your head with your left glove while bringing the right glove across the outside of the forearm to help protect it further. Catching a kick with your forearm alone can cause damage. There was a good video posted here sometime last week with a dutch kickboxer explaining the different blocks..

Yeah i posted that in another thread
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f11/dead-arm-kicks-1356511/

Skip to around 2:50

for the higher kicks bring the arms up more, same concept. I'll find another video showing that one and post it

Here you go, this is a video explaining the block and evade techniques for the highkick

Thanks so much guys! I'll get onto these vids right away!

I like to get the fuck out the way, a shin is a lot harder than an arm.

Here you go, this is a video explaining the block and evade techniques for the highkick

I am just not fond of bracing a block on my head and I would drop the arm inside to cover the solarplex in the "wave" to protect against the quick back kick ("Deer looks back"/Kwang Liew Lang")

You have a few options, in order of preference:
1. lean back/evade
2. high guard arm block or
3. skull block.

There are a lot of ways to block a headkick. Sometimes I'll move in and lower my hands and double forearm block it while its only at about rib level. Other times I just use a high arm block.

Leaning back is your best option. Moving away may result in you not getting hit, but you've also taken yourself out of range.

If I get a chance, I'll make a video tonight of the way the Thais avoid high/head kicks.

there are many ways to block a high kick but one way to take pressure off a blocked high kick is step to the opposite direction of the kick while blocking

You have a few options, in order of preference:
1. lean back/evade
2. high guard arm block or
3. skull block.

hmm... i think imma try #3. that sounds really good. the skull is much harder than the shin.

I used to have a habit of extending my left arm alot instead of jabbing and pulling back before, felt better than covering up with mma gloves. Then I took a high kick in my elbow and couldn't use my arm in training for six months.

Do the opposite of that!

I was taught to lean back for head kicks, block or catch for body kicks, and block for leg kicks.

Evading the high kick would of course be ideal, but in this sport you can't always rely on one thing, and a fight almost never turns out to be ideal. You are going to have to block some of the kicks, that's why its important to know how.

S block it, catch it, then shoot your hand through past his throat and go to a throw. If you hold on to his leg you can go to a calf crush once he's on the ground

Back