Blizzard's Upcoming FPS: Overwatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any videos on the ninja character?
No, I've got everyone released so far in there. Still waiting on the remaining characters.
Don't care about originality I care about a game being fun. There was nothing original about World of Warcraft they just showed the whole industry how to make a proper MMO. Maybe they'll do that again here or maybe not will see.
Yeah, anybody who hates on Blizzard at this point is just being a hipster seeking attention. All of my CCG friends who are on Android swore they liked Solforge more...until Hearthstone was finally ported. Now they all play Hearthstone. Ironically, the only the game they "innovated", Dota 2, while still the most played game on Steam, is actually not the most successful iteration of its genre on the market (a genre it invented); no, that would go to the most popular game in the world, League of Legends. So, indeed, at this point you just have to be a tool to pretend they aren't one of (if not the) greatest game maker in the world-- "originality" be damned. I see no one else with a more legitimate claim to the title. Hell, it's not even a race, really.
  • World of Warcraft (Warlords of Draenor most recent content; Legion upcoming)
  • Starcraft (Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm most recent content; Legacy of the Void upcoming)
  • Diablo (Diablo III: Reaper of Souls most recent content)
  • Dota 2 & Heroes of the Storm
  • Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
  • Overwatch (upcoming)
They're teaching everyone else how you should do it.

Last edited:
No, I've got everyone released so far in there. Still waiting on the remaining characters.

Yeah, anybody who hates on Blizzard at this point is just being a hipster seeking attention. All of my CCG friends who are on Android swore they liked Solforge more...until Hearthstone was finally ported. Now they all play Hearthstone. Ironically, the only the game they "innovated", Dota 2, while still the most played game on Steam, is actually not the most successful iteration of its genre on the market (a genre it invented); no, that would go to the most popular game in the world, League of Legends. So, indeed, at this point you just have to be a tool to pretend they aren't one of (if not the) greatest game maker in the world-- "originality" be damned. I see no one else with a more legitimate claim to the title. Hell, it's not even a race, really.
  • World of Warcraft (Warlords of Draenor most recent content; Legion upcoming)
  • Starcraft (Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm most recent content; Legacy of the Void upcoming)
  • Diablo (Diablo III: Reaper of Souls most recent content)
  • Dota 2 & Heroes of the Storm
  • Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
  • Overwatch (upcoming)
They're teaching everyone else how you should do it.

The Blizzard hate comes from their "dumbing down" of various titles.

D3 was a disaster, and was nothing like any the D2 fans ever expected. It's biggest problem lies in the simplification and lack of customization. (no skill levels, damage type doesn't matter (cold/arcane/fire/....).

I never played WOW but from what people say it too was simplified and dumbed down over time.

Heroes is a further dumbed down version of LoL and Dota, but it doesn't mean it is a bad game.

HOWEVER. An argument can be made that by dumbing games down, the audience expands. So the actual hatred of Blizzard mostly comes from the hardcore gamers that want more depth to their games.

D3 was a disaster, and was nothing like any the D2 fans ever expected. It's biggest problem lies in the simplification and lack of customization. (no skill levels, damage type doesn't matter (cold/arcane/fire/....).

I never played WOW but from what people say it too was simplified and dumbed down over time.

Heroes is a further dumbed down version of LoL and Dota, but it doesn't mean it is a bad game.

HOWEVER. An argument can be made that by dumbing games down, the audience expands. So the actual hatred of Blizzard mostly comes from the hardcore gamers that want more depth to their games.
The thing is even the "hardcore" gamers just pay lip service to their supposed superiority. Solforge isn't accessible, doesn't focus on the graphical UI, and has a steep learning curve. There was a mass exodus of all the "hardcore" Solforge lovers as soon as the Android port came through. Same thing with Dota 2 and League of Legends. The former is actually the game recognized to have a much steeper learning curve. Well, the "hardcore" gamers loved it, and it won all kinds of e-sport awards. Then LoL showed up. It isn't just casuals who are populating these flocks that exeunt.

Complexity is an easy consolation prize to claim when everything else about a game is inferior.

Last edited:
There aren't many Blizzard games I like. I liked the first Starcraft & Warcraft, didn't play Warcraft 3 (didn't like 2, I forget why), didn't particularly enjoy WoW, liked Hearthstone just fine I'm just not big on CCGs.

Thing is, I don't deny that the games are good. They're just not for me. It's like with games like Splinter Cell, I fucking hated that game so much, stopped playing it very shortly after purchasing it. Doesn't mean it wasn't a good game though - just not my thing.

I don't get why people think that a game must suck if it doesn't appeal to them personally.

Game looks awesome. I worry about balance issues with so many classes, but I'll only play the game casually anyways.

Don't care about originality I care about a game being fun. There was nothing original about World of Warcraft they just showed the whole industry how to make a proper MMO. Maybe they'll do that again here or maybe not will see.

Thank you.

People are so focused on originality, but keep forgetting that it's nearly impossible nowadays to create something that isn't influenced in some way by another work.

As long as a work is GOOD, it has accomplished its goal.

Just joining this thread, and really excited for this title.

Junkrat looks like the one I'll be maining :D

Part of the problem is people constantly present a completely subjective opinion as a fact, even if by any objective measurement they're completely wrong.

D3 being a "disaster" is a perfect example. It was such a disaster it's one of the best selling games of all time, garnered sterling critical praise and last time I checked was one of the top 12 or something most popular online multilayer games.

That's not a "disaster".

It's also completely forgetting that Blizzard, probably more so than any other developer, constantly works on making positive changes to their games. D2 had so many problems out the gate that people completely forget about now.

D3 has come so far since release that it's quite obvious you haven't played it in years. It's arguably the most customizable ARPG of all time. After going back to both D3 and PoE it's so glaringly apparent the amount of progress D3 has made that it absolutely pushes PoEs shit all the way in. But somehow the argument is always that PoE is more "hardcore", which is such a vapid comment it may as well be meaningless.

"Dumbing down" is another one of those meaningless phrases because it's so arbitrary. Something being more complex doesn't in and of itself make a better game. Look at any top 10 games of all time list and generally you won't have huge, sprawling, intricate mechanics, because games are supposed to be fun first and foremost. And that's blizzards specialty.

From what I've seen in this thread, the game looks great. It's refreshing to see an FPS game that isn't some cookie cutter military scenario where everyone is shooting for photo realistic graphics without a lot of art styling or direction.

I'll definitely pick this up, because Blizzard knows how to make the most addicting games, and has some of the best game play systems IMO.

I'll echo what some other people have said. Blizzard get shit on for so many things it's hilarious. People talk trash about Diablo 3, compared to Diablo 2, and I found Diablo 3 to be an incredibly fun game, and I dumped hundreds of hours into it. I don't need benchmark something against another game to deem it worthy.

Lighten up folks, you'll live longer.

Closed Beta starts today. Anyone get in?

I'm upset that I've been signed up to it since it was announced and DIDN'T receive closed beta access.:icon_sad:

They're doing them in waves. They said it'll take hours to process the first wave of closed beta requests, and they just started this afternoon.

Well they say that they are done with the invites for now. So if you haven't gotten anything yet then tough luck. Mostly popular streamers got invited so this should be a press release beta.

I've been playing Blizzard games since forever. I've been subscribed to WoW for probably 7 years (still am). I own each game in the franchise and I've spent ton of $ on Hearthstoen and HoTS. Still, I have never ever received an invite to any of their betas. Seriously, Blizzard?

I didn't get in, but there's worse things in life.

I can't wait, though.

When the open beta begins, we should do a Sherdogger clan or summin.

Well they say that they are done with the invites for now. So if you haven't gotten anything yet then tough luck. Mostly popular streamers got invited so this should be a press release beta.

I've been playing Blizzard games since forever. I've been subscribed to WoW for probably 7 years (still am). I own each game in the franchise and I've spent ton of $ on Hearthstoen and HoTS. Still, I have never ever received an invite to any of their betas. Seriously, Blizzard?

lol that sucks. I've only got into the Wow closed beta. Which was amazing and I was glad I did.

You have to love the contradictions of people who defend Diablo 3.

"Its a good game because it sold so well!"

It sold well DAY 1. That's because DIABLO II was a good game. That and a big marketing budget and 10 years of waiting.

Then they say it's so great because it has changed SO MUCH since release. Well why did an action RPG have to change so drastically? Because it sucked ass and was a FAILURE. D2 improved sure, but there weren't massive fundamental changes needed.

They took the auction house down because that was a failure.

If you actually enjoy the dialogue in that game you're an asshole. The dialogue was a total failure. "I'll get you next time!!!". "Ok I failed this time to stop you but it doesn't matter, I'll get you next time!". The only worthwhile dialogue is from the gem dealer.

"It's better than PoE "

Oh what a fantastic accomplishment. A major developer made a better game than an indie studio. Such high standards!

Blizzard makes great games. They continue to make great games. Arguably they are the best of all time. I hope their entry in the fps market does add to the genre. But to say D3 is a great game. Nah. It's a fine game. But it didn't live up to the hype. It didn't improve upon d2 like d2 improved upon d1. All its got is sales and pretty good gameplay apparently. Although when I played it fucking sucked.

D3 doesn't suck because it's simple. There are a million other reasons it sucked. This'd is the thing with people who defend the game. They only defend the weakest attacks on the game. It's like Nintendo fans who say "a game doesn't need blood to be good". Yea that's true. But there are a million other issues going on.
No PvP
Trading was dead because if auction house.
Terrible dialogue.
Secret level was stupid.
I could go on and on but defenders will just ignore specifics anyway and say it's changed! Yea not enough. Still sucks as a diablo game. It's still a Saturday morning villain in a diablo game.

I would be shocked if Blizzard released another Diablo game that gets good sales, if the game is a giant turd like d3. I don't think we will see massive record breaking pre orders again. When a game is released, and it makes people like the series less, I view that as a failure.

If Blizzard released another mmo people would be pumped. Because wow was a success. I doubt the hype for d4 would be that high. Maybe I'm wrong. But I doubt the hype would reach the same levels d3 reached.

BTW I'm looking forward to this game. Is the first game that might get back into a fps. It looks pretty cool actually. I'm not anti blizzard. I just call a turd a turd.

I am pretty excited for this. I am no blizzard fanboy or hater, I played a decent amount of d3 then quit and a decent amount of HOTS and am cooling off to it.
Overwatch looks like another fun game I'll dive into for a couple months, spend money on, then move on.
Like their other titles I assume it will lack depth but have great polish and fun mechanics.

Part of the problem is people constantly present a completely subjective opinion as a fact, even if by any objective measurement they're completely wrong.

D3 being a "disaster" is a perfect example. It was such a disaster it's one of the best selling games of all time, garnered sterling critical praise and last time I checked was one of the top 12 or something most popular online multilayer games.

That's not a "disaster".

It's also completely forgetting that Blizzard, probably more so than any other developer, constantly works on making positive changes to their games. D2 had so many problems out the gate that people completely forget about now.

D3 has come so far since release that it's quite obvious you haven't played it in years. It's arguably the most customizable ARPG of all time. After going back to both D3 and PoE it's so glaringly apparent the amount of progress D3 has made that it absolutely pushes PoEs shit all the way in. But somehow the argument is always that PoE is more "hardcore", which is such a vapid comment it may as well be meaningless.

"Dumbing down" is another one of those meaningless phrases because it's so arbitrary. Something being more complex doesn't in and of itself make a better game. Look at any top 10 games of all time list and generally you won't have huge, sprawling, intricate mechanics, because games are supposed to be fun first and foremost. And that's blizzards specialty.

I will say this about D3. It is a good game, but it is not a proper D2 successor. and that is why people are so negative towards it.

What I really want form Blizzard is a moddable D3. Open it up to the community to provide customized games/maps/etc..

DOTA just did this and people are coming up with all kinds of cool games. StarCraft has mods, why not D3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back