Elections Blistering Criticism of President Obama's Legacy Highlights Dramatic Shift Inside Democratic Party

Arkain2K

Si vis pacem, para bellum
@Steel
Reaction score
It is truly bizarre to see Democratic candidates taking turns attacking Obama's legacy, since the very voters demographic that these absolute nobodies wishes to court in the Primary would much prefer an expansion of what President Obama has built, rather than their increasingly-radical leftist ideas.

Blistering criticism of Obama highlights dramatic shift inside Democratic Party
By Jeff Zeleny and Kevin Liptak | August 02, 2019

190731221127-75-cnn-detroit-debate-0731-super-169.jpg

He's the most popular figure in the Democratic Party by far, revered by liberals, moderates and even some Republicans.

But former President Barack Obama -- who has remained largely silent amid a rancorous Democratic primary -- came under a harsh spotlight as candidates vying for his onetime job picked apart aspects of his legacy during Wednesday night's debate.

The skeptical examination of the party's de facto leader left several veterans of the Obama administration outraged that more attacks were trained on the former President than the current one. And Obama has privately expressed some disapproval of what he views as unrealistic proposals from some Democratic candidates, according to a source familiar with those conversations.

From health care to immigration to trade, key accomplishments of the Obama administration came under fire and faced a sometimes-unflattering re-examination by candidates eager to keep their campaigns alive by trying to prove their progressive credentials.

Liberal candidates advocating for a government-run health care system have deemed Obama's signature law, the Affordable Care Act, as inadequate. Some of Biden's Democratic rivals attempted to hold him accountable or the high level of deportations during Obama's tenure. Even the massive trade pact his administration negotiated with Pacific Rim nations was criticized as lacking environmental and labor protections - by Biden himself.
Trump, who watched the debates and is following the Democratic primary closely, gleefully took note.

"The Democrats spent more time attacking Barack Obama than they did attacking me, practically," Trump told a rally crowd Thursday night in Cincinnati.

A spokesman for Obama on Thursday declined to comment on the attacks, keeping with the former President's practice of not directly weighing in on the 2020 campaign and political discussions.

But the blistering criticism underscores a dramatic shift underway inside the Democratic Party, which is no longer the party of Obama, despite him being out of office less than three years.

Former Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel, who served as the first White House chief to Obama, said Democratic presidential candidates were being extraordinarily short-sighted and wrong-headed by assailing the Obama administration's record, rather than trying to build upon it.

"We have seen this movie before. Democrats need to wake up," Emanuel told CNN. "I would not treat the Obama years as something to be airbrushed out of history. Every one of these things needs to be built upon."

In an interview on Thursday morning, less than 12 hours after the debate ended, the displeasure was clear in Emanuel's voice. Several of the party's presidential candidates were misreading the electorate, he said, and should be taking cues from last year's successful midterm elections when Democrats reminded voters that Trump and Republicans are trying to wipe out the Affordable Care Act.

"Everybody has got to be kidding me here," Emanuel said. "You have a perfect set up. President Trump is suing to undue it. We won an election on it. I don't get this."

Even as the Democratic Party has notably shifted to the left, a critical discussion of the Obama record has been largely overshadowed by the chaotic first term of the Trump administration.

Nowhere is that more evident than in the debate over immigration, an issue that's galvanized the country as Trump adopted a hardline approach, including ordering raids on undocumented immigrants and controversial policies that have led to children being separated from their parents.

The attention on the issue has led to scrutiny of Obama's own record, which earned him the nickname "deporter in chief" from some immigration activists and regularly prompted protests at his events while he was in office.

Even Trump, watching from the White House, saw an opportunity in the Democrats' rebukes of Obama's immigration record.

"The cages for kids were built by the Obama Administration in 2014," he wrote, referring to the facilities used to hold undocumented migrant children. "He had the policy of child separation. I ended it even as I realized that more families would then come to the Border!"

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/08/01/politics/obama-legacy-democratic-primary/index.html

Last edited:
it's funny that rahm emmanuel and eric holder have been tweeting out don't talk bad about the messiah

It will continue. The left are totally unhinged at this point, fuelled by severe mental illness and an obsession with conspiracy theories about 'white supremacy'. When they eventually win another election, the damage they will do will be catastrophic.

At least they are just disagreeing with him over policy and not torn between defending his racism and multiple accusations of sexual assualt along with obstruction of justice

Obama is the most charismatic President I've seen in my lifetime.

He's an amazing public speaker and his ideas and policies I've seen him bring up post-Presidency in interviews are great. He just wasn't a good President though.

I feel like Obama was just a poster boy for the dems to win the presidency and was never entrenched in their upper echelons like Trump with the repubs that's why their party members can get away criticizing them.

2008 Obama would be center right at this point in time.

@JonesBones do you pay rent, or is this a section 8 typa scenario?
Nah I'm just building a consistent profile of this weasel - a cowardly cuck that worships at the alter of the establishment and power. Too afraid to go against the grain and fight for the good so he's content to operate his life based on accentuating the worst demons of his nature: greed, envy, jealously, spite.

This is just the beginning. A lot of leftists can't fucking stand the guy.

He was a strategically clueless president. Allowed himself to get talked out of providing aid to mortgage holders who got fucked by the banks by Geithner and Summers, and got bullied into expanding the number of wars that US was fighting by Clinton and the military establishment. He also let people like Lieberman and Ben Nelson, who were in the Senate Democratic caucus, sabotage the ACA because he didn't want to sully his "brand" by using his power as POTUS to put them in check.

The worst part is that he legitimately thought that the Republicans were just bluffing with their reflexive opposition strategy and would eventually play ball with him.

His was saved by the Tea Party assholes blocking the "grand bargain." Otherwise, he would have been on the hook for cutting Medicare, which he was talking about expanding by the time that he left office.

It's fucking embarrassing that so many deluded centrists think that he's some kind of a saint.

Fox media were unfair to Obama NOT because he was Black, but becuase he was a Democrat

But be fair, nearly all media are Democrat mouthpieces who were praising Obama for Libya, Syria etc.

Things Trump did, Obama did if not worse and the Democrat media establishmernt never made a sound.

No big deal.

During the primaries, politicians move further to one side.

During the general election, they will move closer to the center.

Not sure if it's a good idea to criticize a guy who won 2 elections for them. He must've done something right.

Nah I'm just building a consistent profile of this weasel - a cowardly cuck that worships at the alter of the establishment and power. Too afraid to go against the grain and fight for the good so he's content to operate his life based on accentuating the worst demons of his nature: greed, envy, jealously, spite.

I was going to post something about Obama and how history will remember him differently than during his term, but instead, I’m just gonna laugh at you.

<Dany07>

I was going to post something about Obama and how history will remember him differently than during his term, but instead, I’m just gonna laugh at you.

<Dany07>
Show me another YouTube video that supports one of your arguments. I wanna join the currently laughing club.

This is just the beginning. A lot of leftists can't fucking stand the guy.

He was a strategically clueless president. Allowed himself to get talked out of providing aid to mortgage holders who got fucked by the banks by Geithner and Summers, and got bullied into expanding the number of wars that US was fighting by Clinton and the military establishment. He also let people like Lieberman and Ben Nelson, who were in the Senate Democratic caucus, sabotage the ACA because he didn't want to sully his "brand" by using his power as POTUS to put them in check.

The worst part is that he legitimately thought that the Republicans were just bluffing with their reflexive opposition strategy and would eventually play ball with him.

His was saved by the Tea Party assholes blocking the "grand bargain." Otherwise, he would have been on the hook for cutting Medicare, which he was talking about expanding by the time that he left office.

It's fucking embarrassing that so many deluded centrists think that he's some kind of a saint.

Not to mention the bailout of corporate america after practicing fraud as a business model and the countess civilians killed in what I think are illegal drone strikes.

Obama was a terrible president whose time and type I hope have come and gone.

2008 Obama would be center right at this point in time.
Uh dude, Obama was ALWAYS center right. The Democratic party as a whole is center right, hence why this big upheaval is happening.

Not to mention the bailout of corporate america after practicing fraud as a business model and the countess civilians killed in what I think are illegal drone strikes.

Obama was a terrible president whose time and type I hope have come and gone.

The bailout is my biggest gripe with him but don't think that can be entirely blamed on him, there are several others, none of which have anything to do with his race.

He is an amazing public speaker and obviously has good government and media connections to be able to have a conspiracy free 8 year Presidency.

Back