Rewatch Blast from the past, that time when GSP ended Fitch 16 fights winning streak.

Was it for the video game? I don't remember this incident being about a video game, but I do remember several fighters at the time being upset that they were signing away their likenesses forever. Maybe it was about the game, but for some reason I thought the Fitch incident was about regular "fight in the UFC" contract negotiations. or re-negotiations.

I remember Dana offering Clay Guida money to cut his hair because the game developers were having trouble animating his hair. He refused and they left him out of the game.
I keep trying to post the bleacher report link and it just keeps making it a media link or something dumb like that.

I guess just google "Jon Fitch Gone from UFC, Dana White Declares War"

Awesome fight, and a certain someone walked into the cage post fight to challenge Georges for the belt, and along came the words "If Georges thought Fitch was like the terminator, then he's gonna think I'm god, cause I'm not gonna stop" leading up to that fight
<mma4>

As much as people didn't like Fitch, he deserved the title shot. Seems like back in those days the UFC was more meritocratic. Nowadays guys like Dariush who has been on long winning streaks but not as entertaining like Fitch can't even get a title shot
Dariush is MUCH more exciting than Fitch ever was.

This is fight that turned GSP into a point fighter, not the Serra fight. He beat the ever loving fuck out of Fitch and couldn't put him away. After this, he never really went for the kill like he used to.

Side note: Fitch only had 1 top 10 win in his career at this point, despite his long ass winning streak.

Nah, the BJ Penn rematch was riiight after the Jon Fitch fight, and GSP completely destroyed Penn and made him quit on the stool. <mma4>

GSP also went for the kill multiple times against Dan Hardy, almost getting an armbar in the first round, another armbar in the second, a kimura in the third, another kimura in the 4th (deep one too), aaand a couple kimuras in the 5th <FookIsThatGuy>

He didn't just lay on top of Hardy doing nothing, Hardy really made GSP work to keep his belt.

Nah, the BJ Penn rematch was riiight after the Jon Fitch fight, and GSP completely destroyed Penn and made him quit on the stool. <mma4>

GSP also went for the kill multiple times against Dan Hardy, almost getting an armbar in the first round, another armbar in the second, a kimura in the third, another kimura in the 4th (deep one too), aaand a couple kimuras in the 5th <FookIsThatGuy>

He didn't just lay on top of Hardy doing nothing, Hardy really made GSP work to keep his belt.

He took a much safer approach than usual in both of those fights. He had Hardy finished, but didn't go for the kill. Penn's corner stopped that fight, not GSP. He didn't capitalize on the opportunities as he did in the past.

I will agree, however, that those two fights were closer to his old style than any fight after that. With the exception of the Bisping fight, of course.

Fitch was tailor-made for GSP. A non athletic, grinder-wrestler with limited striking.

Back