Rewatch Blast from the past, that time when GSP ended Fitch 16 fights winning streak.

There was a lot of talks around fitch back then, no wonder he might be on PEDs at that time.

As much as people didn't like Fitch, he deserved the title shot. Seems like back in those days the UFC was more meritocratic. Nowadays guys like Dariush who has been on long winning streaks but not as entertaining like Fitch can't even get a title shot

Jon Fitch was one of the most boring fighters ever, he was only fun when he was getting his ass kicked lol, GSP was just so damn good

I don't know, his beatdown of prime BJ Penn was pretty exciting.
Penn got extremely lucky to be handed a gift draw, almost everyone gave it to Jon back then, since lotsa people scored the third round a 10-9, despite being a textbook 10-8 round that could have easily been stopped a couple times, in the last minute in particular
MEDIA SCORES
FightMetric.com 29-27 Fitch
MMAJunkie.com 29-28 Fitch
Jordan Breen
Sherdog.com 29-28 Fitch
TJ DeSantis
Sherdog.com 29-28 Fitch
Ray Hui
MMAFighting.com 29-28 Fitch
Mike Whitman
Sherdog.com 29-29 DRAW
MMAWeekly.com 28-29 Penn

Fitch vs Rory MacDonald is another controversial draw on his record, but at least he got to keep his belt this time.

There was a lot of talks around fitch back then, no wonder he might be on PEDs at that time.

fitch sucked and would scrape victories by holding on for dear life. Some of the weakest punches and gnp ever too. More busy work than anything else.

And he would complain about pay to, even though it's obvious why he was low payed.

One of prime GSPs rare occasions where he let loose. I guess George was so confident in Fitch's lack of striking, power or take downs ability to a point where glimpses of pre Serra showed up.

It was definitely one of gsps top performances for sure. Nice clean surgical technique from GSP with loads of action.

I know a lot of people won't agree with me here but I cannot see why people put Jon Fitch at the top of GSP best wins. Id say he's top 5 at best.

I always hated Fitch. My introduction to Fitch was his fight against Jeff Joslin in 2005. I believe he called a time out in that fight when he was getting his ass kicked, and somehow got gifted a split decision.
I believe Joslin got knocked down by an accidental headbutt that was missed as well.

This is fight that turned GSP into a point fighter, not the Serra fight. He beat the ever loving fuck out of Fitch and couldn't put him away. After this, he never really went for the kill like he used to.

Side note: Fitch only had 1 top 10 win in his career at this point, despite his long ass winning streak.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it was Fitch who Dana steamrolled. Fitch was refusing the contract Dana was offering, so Dana cut all the AKA guys from the UFC to force Fitch to capitulate. Just one more reason I dislike Dana White.
Was that the contract for the first Undisputed game or something different? I remember that one, Fitch refused to sign away his likeness so Dana cut everyone from AKA for like a day, Fitch, Swick and Kos and then they agreed to it and Dana was like “ha, just kidding you guys aren’t really cut!”

What a sleaze.

that fight was just a total dismantling. one of the more lopsided 5 round fights you'll ever see.

I rooted for Fitch because I was a Purdue guy, but I knew going into that fight it was going to be a beating.

Fitch had zero outs, and GSP was literally better at everything.

There's nothing much you can do in that situation except hope for a fluke.

In the promotional video, Fitch said, "I'll be in your face, making it ugly!", and he's the one who ended up with an ugly, beat up face, LOL!

Legendary beat down.

Prime GSP was something special.

Was that the contract for the first Undisputed game or something different? I remember that one, Fitch refused to sign away his likeness so Dana cut everyone from AKA for like a day, Fitch, Swick and Kos and then they agreed to it and Dana was like “ha, just kidding you guys aren’t really cut!”

What a sleaze.

Was it for the video game? I don't remember this incident being about a video game, but I do remember several fighters at the time being upset that they were signing away their likenesses forever. Maybe it was about the game, but for some reason I thought the Fitch incident was about regular "fight in the UFC" contract negotiations. or re-negotiations.

I remember Dana offering Clay Guida money to cut his hair because the game developers were having trouble animating his hair. He refused and they left him out of the game.

Since I started watching the UFC I’ve researched countless things. Just retro-educating myself. But this is something I definitely had never seen before.

Thanks for the link.

Dana's got a history of being a grotesque shitheel that he managed to hide by controlling the rinky dink MMA media and making himself the face of the UFC.

Back