Movies BLADE (Paused Due to Writers Strike, post #300)

By the way, now that I know a writer for Watchmen is a black woman, does saying "Watchmen sucked" make me sexist and racist?

I don’t want to be “that guy” but there seems to be an over emphasis on race at play here. The fact they would only consider a black writer? While Blade is black, I’ve never really considered that as being integral to his character like it is with say Luke Cage or Black Panther. The core of Blade’s character is being trapped between two worlds, humans and vampires. He just incidentally happens to be black. But it seems like they want to make his blackness really front and centre with this reboot. I wonder how that will manifest in the movie? Blade will have a Malcolm X poster in his lair?
None of the Thor directors were Norse Gods.

By the way, now that I know a writer for Watchmen is a black woman, does saying "Watchmen sucked" make me sexist and racist?

Definitely racist. I've been there, bought the shirt and sent the postcard.

I thought that show did a great job of tying into the book. It felt like a natural extension, even though it shit on the original characters that its brought back. But the race plot sunk it for me. The original story had much grander themes.

I don’t want to be “that guy” but there seems to be an over emphasis on race at play here. The fact they would only consider a black writer? While Blade is black, I’ve never really considered that as being integral to his character like it is with say Luke Cage or Black Panther. The core of Blade’s character is being trapped between two worlds, humans and vampires. He just incidentally happens to be black. But it seems like they want to make his blackness really front and centre with this reboot. I wonder how that will manifest in the movie? Blade will have a Malcolm X poster in his lair?

They could be using vampirism as a separate "race" and linking that to being black? That'd work better if the lead were bi-racial though.

Definitely racist. I've been there, bought the shirt and sent the postcard.

I thought that show did a great job of tying into the book. It felt like a natural extension, even though it shit on the original characters that its brought back. But the race plot sunk it for me. The original story had much grander themes.
Even if I said "Watchmen sucked" before I knew a writer for the show was a black woman?

So I should change my opinion about Watchmen, or I'm racist?

Lmfaoo

“decent shape” he says.

completely shredded Abs and good musculature. “Decent shape”

For the role he has to play, yeah.

59b8697ba92ab2aa11e48a25b08d9616.jpg

Compared to Michael Jai White who many envisioned as Blade for the longest time.

michael-jai-white-2.jpg

Or Snipes

92ecfbc0a7e87b546b8d04a9b26e9b2d.png

I would say race is definitely played up in the Snipes films, maybe less so as Blade himself being defined by being black but moreso the villians reaction to him, there is I think a kind of scuzzy ayran brotherhood vibe to them in the first film especially.

The way Disney seem to be promoting black/female directors/writters in films focus on lead characters of that race/gender does seem pretty tokenistic though, as if anyone but white men should keep to directing films about their gender/race.

Hard pass on paying to see this. Watchmen is a mouthpiece for SJW garbage, not entertainment for fans of comics. Not interested in seeing Blade overcome being a Black man in America.

Update: July 19, 2021

Mogul Mowgli's Bassam Tariq in Early Talks to Direct Marvel Studios' BLADE Starring Mahershala Ali

VCmKlVd.jpg

Marvel Studios’ Blade, centered on its vampire slayer character, is zeroing in on a director. Bassam Tariq is in early talks helm the feature project, capping off a search that began in fall 2020. Tariq is known for directing the rap drama Mogul Mowgli, which he also co-wrote with star Riz Ahmed. Marvel declined to comment.

Two-time Oscar winner Mahershala Ali is playing Blade, a half-human, half-vampire who stalks the night to hunt down vampires. Marvel boss Kevin Feige revealed the casting of Ali at San Diego Comic-Con in July 2019, with the executive noting the actor informed Marvel he’d like to play the character after he won his second Oscar, for Greenbook.

Despite the early star attachment, it was only halfway through 2020 that Marvel really began sharpening the stakes in the search for its creative team. The studio spent months meticulously searching for the right scribe, only this February landing on Watchmen’s Stacy Osei-Kuffour, who became Marvel’s first Black female writer in the process.

Blade debuted in 1973’s Tomb of Dracula No. 10. He was created by Marv Wolfman and Gene Colan, and went on to be played by Wesley Snipes in three films made by New Line Cinema from 1998-2004. Stephen Norrington, Guillermo del Toro, and Goyer respectively directed the trio.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...el-blade-movie-director-bassam-tariq-4143850/

Michael Jai White must be hated by hollywood or some shit. Although I did like this Ali guy in True Detective.

Ali better start hitting the gym hard and get on that Hollywood Protein.

Mogul Mowgli was a solid af movie, but idk how much of that rests on the talent of Riz Ahmed. i guess it doesn’t matter anyways since Bassam is gonna be under the thumb of the mouse.

They’re just now getting a director?! Why is this taking so long, I assume it was already in full production

I wouldn't mind seeing John David Washington in the role (the guy from Tenet). Mahershala Ali is a bit older than I would like especially if they plan on doing multiple movies. This is why Idris Elba worked so well in Hobbs and Shaw is that it was a one off. With all that said I hope I am wrong because I really enjoyed at least the first 2 Blade movies and it would be awesome for it to make a comeback.

Back