1. The Froot Shoop Contest now active! Come Vote! »

Blade Runner vs. Blade Runner 2049 - Which is the better movie?

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by MXZT, Nov 19, 2019.

?

Which is the better movie?

1. Blade Runner

69.3%
  2. Blade Runner 2049

30.7%
  1. benebox

benebox Brown Belt

I agree. They are all great films! I would probably rank Fury just behind Mad Max 2 but then again that's sort of basing it from the standards of when I first watched them, which probably explains why I like 2049 better than the original as I only got to watching it a few years ago.

loyalyolayal likes this.
  2. Peteyandjia

Peteyandjia Winter Orchid Staff Member Forum Administrator

So, I gave the original (Final Cut version) another chance last night - seemed like a good day to do it, since the film takes place yesterday, on November 20th, 2019 - and to my surprise, it finally clicked for me this time. I enjoyed it quite a bit more than my previous attempts over the years.

Definitely agree with @Zer that the lack of narration was a big improvement, helped immersion & made the world seem more real. The look was even better than I remembered, and I remembered it being good. The landscapes are amazing, much better than 95% of the CGI crap being produced today with far ‘better’ technology.

It’s extremely well-cast; for characters that don’t have much to do, each actor gave so much extra depth just by being themselves. Ford just doing his thing, looking iconic. Daryl Hannah’s perfect expressions adding layers of mystery. Sean Young somehow seeming simultaneously human & robotic in every movement. E.B. Farnum showing up as a ‘young’ man was a nice surprise. I forgot that the bartender from The Shining was in this as the ‘bad’ guy, he was great. And Rutger Hauer’s performance at the end is the pinnacle of the film, simply staggering. Ironically, it stands the test of time beautifully, & will probably hold up forever, like steel in the rain.

(The fact that he ad-libbed that line himself just makes it even more magical.)

All in all, really glad I revisited this one. Thanks sherbros

3. loyalyolayal

loyalyolayal Steel Belt

I watched both movies back to back. Bladerunner is one of those movies that I would catch snippets of but never bothered finishing. When I got a copy of 2049, I immediately watched the original. The original was groundbreaking for it's time but I've already seen shows inspired by it that the themes presented aren't new to me.

benebox likes this.
  4. moreorless87

moreorless87 Straba

With Mad Max you are also dealing with films that whilst there quite similar in basic setting/story are quite different in style, Road Warrior is very down to earth and gritty, Fury Road is a much grander more otherworldly visually. If you haven't seen it I'd recommend Sorcerer by William Friedkin as I think that's actually where some of the influence from Fury Road come from.

Blade Runner I think visually the films are closer in look but differ a bit more in plot style, the original is really more an atmospheric drama were as the sequel has more action thriller elements to it so I can understand some people proffering that.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    benebox likes this.
  5. Peteyandjia

Ridley didn’t make 2049, it was Denis ‘The Manis’ Villa Lobos

loyalyolayal likes this.
  6. loyalyolayal

loyalyolayal Steel Belt

Oh...that probably explains why I like it better.

7. benebox

benebox Brown Belt

I haven't, which is surprising as I'm a huge Friedkin fan. I'll download it tonight. Thanks!

8. vcmmafan

vcmmafan Brown Belt

They scanned the 35mm film of the old Blade Runner to get a 4k image of it

9. Dizzy

Dizzy \[T]/ Platinum Member

The only thing better about the original is Rutger Hauer.

Finally got around to 2049 and it’s excellent. Improves upon the first movie in almost every way.

Peteyandjia and loyalyolayal like this.
  10. moreorless87

moreorless87 Straba

Honestly I think it might be his best film, I'm supprised it hasn't been picked up on more over the years as say The Thing was(both were overshadowed by Starwars and ET at the time) as its not really "difficult" at all, its a great thriller was some amazing action set peices. I spose you could argue the difference is Sorcerer came out before VHS rental had really kicked off were as The Thing like a lot of Carpenter really found its audience there.

11. BisexualMMA

BisexualMMA Don't Put My Name in the Name of Steroids!

Sorcerer is a remake of (I believe) one of @Zer's favorite movies.

What made you see a connection between Fury Road and Sorcerer? Offhand, other than the camera being pretty low for a good number of shots, I can't think of much else.

Zer likes this.
  12. moreorless87

moreorless87 Straba

Its a remake of the equally great Wages of Fear but I think shifts the story quite considerably from that film which is a more personal drama about the effect of fear/pressure on the characters. Sorcerer is much more about selling atmosphere and the idea of the characters at the mercy of fate.

You look at the setting of Sorcerer and Fury Road and there really quite similar, both are based around the protagonists in large trucks, both also have rather mind bending atmospheric visuals with strong individual colours. Scenes like the war rig being stuck in the mud for example feel very much like set pieces in Sorcerer to me, especially the bridge crossing.

I mean not so much that Fury Road is directly nicking anything but I strongly suspect that Sorcerer was an influence on Miller making it.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    BisexualMMA and Zer like this.
  13. Peteyandjia

Saw it the theater in IMAX on opening weekend, and the place was nearly empty. Glorious viewing, but it was also sad that almost no one saw it. Not enough shitty comic book character adaptations spouting cheesy one-liners I guess.

Dizzy likes this.
  14. Reyesnuthugr

Reyesnuthugr Dominick Reyes Belt

If you check box office mojo (like I did just recently because of this thread) you'll see that 2049 finally ended up making 269 million worldwide, so it ended up actually being profitable by eclipsing its 185 million budget costs (including marketing)

15. Winston88

Winston88 Yellow Belt Banned

Blade Runner but 2049 is incredible too.

16. John Mabrey

John Mabrey The artist formerly known as murillaninjascrilla

Not sure if the 2nd was better but I liked it more and found the first kinda boring

17. Peteyandjia

The global take helped a bit - it did okay in Europe - but it still ended up losing about 80 million overall, once its run was over.

https://www.slashfilm.com/blade-runner-2049-box-office-failure/

At least that’s the figure all the news reports have been running with.

Reyesnuthugr likes this.
  18. HARRISON_3

HARRISON_3 Gold Belt

Both are excellent, but I'm partial to Blade Runner.
    [​IMG]

19. moreorless87

moreorless87 Straba

As with the original it did well on home release which I'm guessing reduced the numbers quite a bit but honestly I think making it a $180 million film in itself was a mistake, the budget should have been half that at most.

20. Madmick

Madmick Zugzwang Staff Member Senior Moderator

Everything about this review is terrible except the conclusion that the first film is better. That alone I don't take issue with.

JLan98 likes this.