Crime Black Florida teen shoots self; Jesse Jackson calls for charges on officers.

Just to confirm, that's the guy that was obscured cause he was grabbing it from the car hey? The one that they couldn't see clearly?
AngryAjarIndigowingedparrot-small.gif

Take up your stance in a better position then. That’s what our legs are for. To move around. It’s getting insane that you’re pretending there’s no middle ground here.

All the idiots dishonestly yammering about the police here are actually hindering the cause of police accountability. Because they have no principles and will go after cops for anything and everything, police departments fall into a reflexive defensive posture, even in questionable situations - which they’re perfectly ok with because the people in question actually want MORE racism to fix their imbalance of supply and demand.

AngryAjarIndigowingedparrot-small.gif

Take up your stance in a better position then. That’s what our legs are for. To move around. It’s getting insane that you’re pretending there’s no middle ground here.

Jesus mate how quick do you think this shit happens?? I'm happy for a middle ground, but you're essentially condemning these cops and expecting them to wait until being shot before returning fire.

Did you watch the video? Everything happens in less than split of a second. The only thing officers know at this point is that the guy pulled out a gun and a shot has been fired. He's become a lethal threat = lethal force. Use your head.

You are argueing with a surname @Oxycodone. Best leave this pill popper be. He clearly has no brain cells left in his head.

All the idiots dishonestly yammering about the police here are actually hindering the cause of police accountability. Because they have no principles and will go after cops for anything and everything, police departments fall into a reflexive defensive posture, even in questionable situations - which they’re perfectly ok with because the people in question actually want MORE racism to fix their imbalance of supply and demand.
I've been saying this for years. The topic of police accountability always mutates into a topic of racism and nothing gets done. Every single time.

That’s exactly what I would expect them to do, or at least that’s the level of discretion I would hope for. They’re police officers. They’re supposed to be trained for moments exactly like this.

They were so patient, though. That one cop just kept trying to talk him down and tell him everything was okay and he didn't need to worry about not getting back to his family if he'd just take his hands out where they could see them. It's worrisome when someone won't do that. And this time that concern turned out to be warranted. He had his hands on a gun.

I get that the 35 shots seems like a lot, but as I said earlier, what are we suggesting that was about? He shot himself. Do you think they just thought it would be fun to put a lot of holes into a young dead man? Clearly they were reacting to the threat of someone firing a gun after spending several minutes refusing to comply and put his hands where they could see them.

I think police are generally not nearly as good at deescalating difficult situations. But this young man really did have a gun and they really did try to deescalate. It's one thing to ask that police officers needs to be 100% certain that someone who is acting in a suspicious manner does, indeed, have a weapon before they open fire. But it's a very big ask to expect cops to allow a non compliant suspect with a gun to get a second shot off once he's already taken his gun out and fired once.

There are more than two ways to obtain that information. For example, looking at the suspect.

Once there are bullets in the air, that stuff becomes really, really hard. These are such dangerous and chaotic situations. That doesn't mean that anything goes, and cops should be able to react with more calm and competence than you or I might in a similarly dangerous and chaotic situation. I don't disagree. But there is a point at which you need to accept that human beings are human beings. In my opinion, that point happens once there are shots fired. If law enforcement can avoid firing stray shots that put innocent bystanders at risk in a situation like that, I feel like it's tough to ask for a lot more. The guy had a gun. He fired the gun. And then what you might expect to happen in that sort of situation, happened.

Jesse Jackson can say what ever he wants. Coroner confirmed a suicide. But the cops are always evil no matter what nut cases they have to deal with. Let me propose something...what does Jackson have to do with police matters/investigations? Makes no sense, if he wants to help, he should help pay for the trauma the police (PTSD fund) as they had to endure seeing this kids suicide and for fanning racial flames for years. The issue now is credibility, weighing in on things he doesn't know about, every issue he has to comment and be the judge before the jury is out. Jumping the gun suspicion on everything, how can people come together like that?

what do want to bet that ptsd counseling would have racial bias sessions involved in it? They are simply incapable of putting themselves in the police shoes. They expect some superhuman robot type to wait u til they are shot at before reacting. Meanwhile, cops put themselves into the suspects shows all the time. I used to do masterfully. I would figure out what the guy wanted to hear and try to find a way that at least some of that is met. I had a guy with a gun to his head demanding to see his wife. I negotiated with him and agreed that his wife would meet us at the stations once the gun was out of play. They were separated and they had their meeting snd she realized how much it would upset her and the kids if he had killed himself. So he agreed to check into an in patient treatment. Never heard from them again, but I was able to put myself in his shoes, and it allowed me to come up with doable solutions that guaranteed his safety and hers. But the activists can’t ever see themselves in a cops shoes because they hate them so much.

There are more than two ways to obtain that information. For example, looking at the suspect.

no, just no. The cops did not, nor should they have waited for a second shot to ring out. I am surprised he wasn’t shot for reaching under the seat. That displayed balls of steel snd patience. Shot rings out from inside the car-you fire. Period

no, just no. The cops did not, nor should they have waited for a second shot to ring out. I am surprised he wasn’t shot for reaching under the seat. That displayed balls of steel snd patience. Shot rings out from inside the car-you fire. Period
I realize that police are trained to panic and kill. That’s specifically the problem.

I realize that police are trained to panic and kill. That’s specifically the problem.
No, the specific problem here is a guy who acted like an idiot by pulling a gun while being arrested and even went on to shoot himself.

Once there are bullets in the air, that stuff becomes really, really hard. These are such dangerous and chaotic situations. That doesn't mean that anything goes, and cops should be able to react with more calm and competence than you or I might in a similarly dangerous and chaotic situation. I don't disagree. But there is a point at which you need to accept that human beings are human beings. In my opinion, that point happens once there are shots fired. If law enforcement can avoid firing stray shots that put innocent bystanders at risk in a situation like that, I feel like it's tough to ask for a lot more. The guy had a gun. He fired the gun. And then what you might expect to happen in that sort of situation, happened.
The cops were already lenient not to shoot him for suspiciously putting his hand underneath the seat when they kept telling him not to. The cops in this incident should be applauded for trying to de-escalate and for only firing as a last resort. More cops could learn from the way these guys handled the situation. The outcome was tragic but the way they tried to resolve the situation was perfect.

Back