Black Books

Rimbaud82

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Anybody like this show? Always been one of my favourite comedies (along with Peep Show and Father Ted), but I started rewatching it again last night. Really underrated comedy...I'd forgot how good it was. I've been watching the american show, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia lately too and I reckon americans who like that but who don't know black books would like it as well. Though obviously the comedy is a little different since one is american and the other is British/Irish.

It's set in a bookshop, and it's largely about the owner Bernard who is a misanthropic, self-centred, cynical Irishman who spends most of time drinking and smoking and the stuff that happens around that.

I thought this was gonna be about Donald Goines

Who's that Pliny?
Hes a writer from the 70's that wrote books about ghetto life(pimps, drugs, gangs etc)
Basically gangsta rap in book form
Used to read em in jail

I watched this years ago and loved it, great shout out.

513B1ObmEKL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Anybody like this show? Always been one of my favourite comedies (along with Peep Show and Father Ted), but I started rewatching it again last night. Really underrated comedy...I'd forgot how good it was. I've been watching the american show, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia lately too and I reckon americans who like that but who don't know black books would like it as well. Though obviously the comedy is a little different since one is american and the other is British/Irish.

It's set in a bookshop, and it's largely about the owner Bernard who is a misanthropic, self-centred, cynical Irishman who spends most of time drinking and smoking and the stuff that happens around that.

Ha, I just received Black Books from Amazon.

When I was a kid I remember watching an episode once randomly on TV and that line stayed with me forever :

- You know, in Tibet, if they want something, do you know what they do? They give something away.

- They do, do they? That must be why they're such a dominant global power.

So after 25 years of remembering that awesome line form times to times I just decided to buy it.

Didn't know that the bookkeeper character is Irish, that's awesome.

Maybe I'll page you for some British comedy suggestions when I am done with this show.

Maybe I'll page you for some British comedy suggestions when I am done with this show.

Red Dwarf
Fawlty Towers
Blackadder
Mr Don & Mr George
Filthy Rich & Catflap
The Young Ones
Bottom
Peep Show
The Office
Extras
Absolutely
Big Train
Peep Show
The Mighty Boosh
Spaced
I'm Alan Partridge
The League of Gentlemen
Garth Marenghi's Darkplace
The Toast of London
Murder in Successville
Brass Eye
Father Ted
The IT crowd

Your life will be better if you watch all of those.

Yeah it's pretty funny. Remember being a bit frustrated though that although taking place in a book shop very little of the episodes, stories or jokes seemed to be about books. :D

Love it.

Much like Father Ted, it creates its own little world that is completely ridiculous but entirely believable.

Red Dwarf
Fawlty Towers
Blackadder
Mr Don & Mr George
Filthy Rich & Catflap
The Young Ones
Bottom
Peep Show
The Office
Extras
Absolutely
Big Train
Peep Show
The Mighty Boosh
Spaced
I'm Alan Partridge
The League of Gentlemen
The Toast of London
Murder in Successville
Brass Eye
Father Ted
The IT crowd

The Thick of It
Spaced

Red Dwarf
Fawlty Towers
Blackadder
Mr Don & Mr George
Filthy Rich & Catflap
The Young Ones
Bottom
Peep Show
The Office
Extras
Absolutely
Big Train
Peep Show
The Mighty Boosh
Spaced
I'm Alan Partridge
The League of Gentlemen
The Toast of London
Murder in Successville
Brass Eye
Father Ted
The IT crowd

Thanks alot. I assume that it is in the same vein, i.e. dry humour and cynicism ?

Thanks alot. I assume that it is in the same vein, i.e. dry humour and cynicism ?

lol mostly yes. Even great British slapstick comedies like Bottom have moments of intelligent humour that go largely unoticed by its target audience. Blackadder is dryest of the dry humour. Rowan Atkinson at his brilliant best.

Spaced is on there. I've not watched the thick of it tbh, might have to check it out.

Spaced is fucking awesome. There are a lot of nerdy reference, the characters, the stories and the humor are top notch.

Black Books is cool too. Damn there are a lot of these British comedies that I still haven't watched.

Spaced is fucking awesome. There are a lot of nerdy reference, the characters, the stories and the humor are top notch.

Black Books is cool too. Damn there are a lot of these British comedies that I still haven't watched.

If you still haven't watched Red Dwarf, blackadder of Fawlty Towers, my advice is start today.

Back