Black Belt Promotion

TheMood

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I was promoted to black belt today after 12 years. I just wanted to thank the Sherdog community for all the discussions and things I have learned here over the years. There are so many knowledge people here and I just wanted to express my appreciation to them all. Thank you.

I was promoted to black belt today after 12 years. I just wanted to thank the Sherdog community for all the discussions and things I have learned here over the years. There are so many knowledge people here and I just wanted to express my appreciation to them all. Thank you.
Awesome! Congratulations brotha!

Good stuff Sherbro

a162d504-47d6-42e7-8421-e22d94f53cb0_text.gif

Congrats. Do you think you will go through some imposter syndrome? I was promoted to brown belt last year and am finally starting to feel like one, but I've done that with every promotion.

Hey, congratulations!
I'm gonna end up being that amount of years, I think.

Congrats, welcome to the club! First bottle of icy hot on the house!

Thank you everyone.

Congrats. Do you think you will go through some imposter syndrome? I was promoted to brown belt last year and am finally starting to feel like one, but I've done that with every promotion.
I'm not sure yet about imposter syndrome. I think I feel it at work sometimes but usually not in jiujitsu. I'm just about 45 and I don't think I'm anything special. In fact, I know I'm objectively bad. There are so many people at my school so much better than me that it is constantly humbling. That is one of the things I appreciate about martial arts. There will always be someone better than you at it. After all the injuries I've had over the years, I just am happy to have a good time, a good workout, and to be able to walk out in one piece. As long as I keep having fun and can still physically do it, I will keep showing up. Sorry, this is a long way of saying, I'll have to get back to you.

Congrats brother! Welcome to the club.

Respect

One day I will stop PCSing, and get a club I can stay with and one day get that Black Belt

In fact, I know I'm objectively bad.
my brother in christ, this literally means you have impostor syndrome.

we are all objectively bad when compared to gordon ryan. a 45 year old comparing themselves to kids who train and compete obsessively is equally silly. you put in the work and the time, the people who promoted you believe you deserve it, so you do deserve it. and being a black belt in jiu jitsu means you are objectively good at it.

i do know what you mean, i got promoted to black belt last year and my first thought was "damn, i have to be the shittiest black belt out here", i still got tapped by the young guns way below my rank. but that's part of the sport and getting older, nothing we can do about that.

congratulations! it's a big achievement and you should feel very proud!

Thank you everyone.

I'm not sure yet about imposter syndrome. I think I feel it at work sometimes but usually not in jiujitsu. I'm just about 45 and I don't think I'm anything special. In fact, I know I'm objectively bad. There are so many people at my school so much better than me that it is constantly humbling. That is one of the things I appreciate about martial arts. There will always be someone better than you at it. After all the injuries I've had over the years, I just am happy to have a good time, a good workout, and to be able to walk out in one piece. As long as I keep having fun and can still physically do it, I will keep showing up. Sorry, this is a long way of saying, I'll have to get back to you.
I think this is the right way to look at it. I'm in my 16th year of BJJ and a three-stripe brown. Injuries have started to pile up since I turned 50, and I'm just trying to pull myself over the finish line.

my brother in christ, this literally means you have impostor syndrome.

we are all objectively bad when compared to gordon ryan. a 45 year old comparing themselves to kids who train and compete obsessively is equally silly. you put in the work and the time, the people who promoted you believe you deserve it, so you do deserve it. and being a black belt in jiu jitsu means you are objectively good at it.

i do know what you mean, i got promoted to black belt last year and my first thought was "damn, i have to be the shittiest black belt out here", i still got tapped by the young guns way below my rank. but that's part of the sport and getting older, nothing we can do about that.

congratulations! it's a big achievement and you should feel very proud!

Hi my name is Thrawn and I am also an imposter with a purple belt, also the club black belt in judo given to me by my longtime coach and friend.

Back