BJS pulls out of Canelo fight, Callum's time to shine

@cocksure Im not going to help you derail this thread anymore. If you have anything else to say about BJS pulling out of this fight, I’ll respond. But as of now you’ve tapped out of the conversation and anyone looking in from the outside can see it.

@cocksure Im not going to help you derail this thread anymore. If you have anything else to say about BJS pulling out of this fight, I’ll respond. But as of now you’ve tapped out of the conversation and anyone looking in from the outside can see it.
I've given you a number of opportunities to bury the hatchet but you seem hell bent on some sort of oneupmanship? Strange personality.

Dont mean to derail the thread, but how does SOG fit this mold? Besides his contract dispute inactivity, he had an amazing run against the best, went up in weight and destroyed the boogeyman.

First off like both Floyd and RJJ he never travelled overseas for a fight of any significance. Sure he beat Froch, Kessler, and Kovalev, but he beat them all either in the US or literally in Oaktown. And it should be noted that most of those wins were contested/controversial, which is to say that he might have 1 or 2 losses on his record had he not had home cooking. It might not seem like a big deal but an extra loss or two against makes a big difference when considering the resume of a guy who only had 32/33 pro fights.

And you hinted at the other point. His inactivity (combined with the fact that he got out early). I don't care about promoter issues. That's a problem of his own making. He had a short pro career and wasted a good deal of his prime sitting out and being a spectator.

I'm not saying he's not an All-time great, i'm just saying that he's not nearly the fighter his undefeated record and nickname make him out to be.

Saunders' reasoning is that there isn't enough time for him to prep (10 weeks) and that Golden Boy cut his purse by “millions of pounds.” Originally he was guaranteed around $8m but allegedly not anymore due to the circumstances (gate). Not having enough time isn't a good excuse (Eubank Jr. has speculated it's due to the timing of his PED cycle).

As for his purse being cut down significantly, I'd like to hear from GB about whether that's true or not. I wouldn't be surprised if it was due to the gate not being there but I'm also not willing to just take his word for it given that he's a conman. To me it just looks like he really has no interest in fighting the best. His track record is literally the worst in the sport with these routine pullouts (excusing himself from the talks in this case).

This reminded me how much I have missed British boxing beefs
Eubank Jr. would have a reason to be biased against BJS given that BJS beat him in the past. But, his speculation is logical and BJS has tested positive for PEDs in the recent past. That's what he believes anyway, he tweeted it out. Some of the media picked it up.

DAZN must be over the moon about this. $35 million tune-ups isn’t what they had in mind when they signed him.

They can't force these guys to step in the ring. It's partially Canelo's fault for looking as good as he did against Kovalev and not wanting to fight a live Light Heavyweight. He's got these smaller guys running scared, and the only other guys out there are probably not big enough names or too green (I'd like to see Benavidez get a crack at him next year).

I wouldn't mind seeing him fight David Lemieux as has been rumored the last couple days. I would expect Lemieux to swing from his heels and go down fighting. Would be fun while it lasted and well, you never know...

Saunders' reasoning is that there isn't enough time for him to prep (10 weeks) and that Golden Boy cut his purse by “millions of pounds.” Originally he was guaranteed around $8m but allegedly not anymore due to the circumstances (gate). Not having enough time isn't a good excuse (Eubank Jr. has speculated it's due to the timing of his PED cycle).

As for his purse being cut down significantly, I'd like to hear from GB about whether that's true or not. I wouldn't be surprised if it was due to the gate not being there but I'm also not willing to just take his word for it given that he's a conman. To me it just looks like he really has no interest in fighting the best. His track record is literally the worst in the sport with these routine pullouts (excusing himself from the talks in this case).
So, we can agree, its not the best time to fight. Canelo will get his 35 mil, his opponent will be shafted as much as is humanely possible. And come on, title tattle from his mate Eubank, leave it out.

They can't force these guys to step in the ring. It's partially Canelo's fault for looking as good as he did against Kovalev and not wanting to fight a live Light Heavyweight. He's got these smaller guys running scared, and the only other guys out there are probably not big enough names or too green (I'd like to see Benavidez get a crack at him next year).

I wouldn't mind seeing him fight David Lemieux as has been rumored the last couple days. I would expect Lemieux to swing from his heels and go down fighting. Would be fun while it lasted and well, you never know...
I hadn’t heard the Lemieux rumour. I guess he’ll do if no one else wants to step up.

Some of these guys are going to be in for a rude awakening if they’re holding out for $10 million pay checks. Those days are gone.

So, we can agree, its not the best time to fight. Canelo will get his 35 mil, his opponent will be shafted as much as is humanely possible. And come on, title tattle from his mate Eubank, leave it out.
If what BJS is claiming to be true is actually true (about his purse being significantly reduced). If not then he just passed up a career high purse of around $8m. He gave two reasons for pulling out of the talks and one of them is pure crap about not having enough time to prepare. Ten weeks is more than enough time and he's had plenty of time to rest since his last fight. Look at this guy's track record, does he really even deserve the benefit of the doubt? Most reasonable people have given up on the guy and for good reason.

First off like both Floyd and RJJ he never travelled overseas for a fight of any significance. Sure he beat Froch, Kessler, and Kovalev, but he beat them all either in the US or literally in Oaktown. And it should be noted that most of those wins were contested/controversial, which is to say that he might have 1 or 2 losses on his record had he not had home cooking. It might not seem like a big deal but an extra loss or two against makes a big difference when considering the resume of a guy who only had 32/33 pro fights.

And you hinted at the other point. His inactivity (combined with the fact that he got out early). I don't care about promoter issues. That's a problem of his own making. He had a short pro career and wasted a good deal of his prime sitting out and being a spectator.

I'm not saying he's not an All-time great, i'm just saying that he's not nearly the fighter his undefeated record and nickname make him out to be.
Most of those wins were contested? By who? Which ones? Some folks had Kova winning the first fight, but I dont recall any other being a topic?

Whats Saunders biggest purse? What do you think is a fair figure for him to fight Canelo?

Most of those wins were contested? By who? Which ones? Some folks had Kova winning the first fight, but I dont recall any other being a topic?

The Kessler fight in Oakland was marred by headbutting, and iiirc, Kessler suffered at least 1 cut in that one due to Wards actions. And the first Kovalev fight was what it was... do i have to open that can of worms again? This stuff is all a matter of public record google it.

The Kessler fight was especially shameful, that a guy should lose in that fashion. It was a mugging imo

Whats Saunders biggest purse? What do you think is a fair figure for him to fight Canelo?
Things arent that black and white. You would obviously take less for a low risk fight. Its a balancing act, his chances? his 0(important in boxing)? The cheque? The chances of a better payday in 21-22 are obvious.

The Kessler fight in Oakland was marred by headbutting, and iiirc, Kessler suffered at least 1 cut in that one due to Wards actions. And the first Kovalev fight was what it was... do i have to open that can of worms again? This stuff is all a matter of public record google it.

The Kessler fight was especially shameful, that a guy should lose in that fashion. It was a mugging imo
Its almost as if I thought the forum was for discussions. Ill use google next time I suppose lol.

Never heard these arguments towards Wards greatness (or lack thereof) so I was curious.
Things arent that black and white. You would obviously take less for a low risk fight. Its a balancing act, his chances? his 0(important in boxing)? The cheque? The chances of a better payday in 21-22 are obvious.
Well they sort of are. BJS doesnt sniff the paydays a fight with Canelo brings in, and there isnt another opponent that will get him there either.

At some point if you want to be a top dog and earn like a top dog you have to fight a top dog.

Yeah man, that Kessler fight was dirty as fuck and really soured me on Ward. He was winning without the dirty stuff and decided to keep it up anyway, giving Kessler cuts that fucked up the rest of his career.

Back