Bjorn Rebney "There Are UFC Pay-Per-Views I Wouldn't Watch for Free"

MMA is still a sport influenced (to a degree) by the casual fan and their interests. Tito Ortiz is a recognized name so there's no real shame in promoting Tito for your promotions first ever PPV if you're looking for a ratings boost. At least IMO.

Nope, nothing wrong with that at all over the short term. The problem is that it in no way can correlate to long term gains. It's a cheap pop which in theory works over the short term. TNA thought "hey we've got these established faces on our product, we'll get some new fans to tune in!" and were just never able to turn that into paying customers.

Now is that going to be Bellator's problem? We'll see going forward. Tito vs Rampage is still a money fight for most people, I'd assume.

his co-main was Tito vs a MW, and his main was Rampage and Mo.

give me a break - "depth". pfft

His Co Main event was Chandler vs Brooks

The Co Main event of UFC 148 was Tito vs Forrest 3
The Main event of UFC 133 was Tito vs Evans 2

Didn't see many complaints then.....Now that Tito is on a Bellator PPV he isn't good enough to be on a PPV card? Pretty funny....just saying

Don't yellow card me for destroying your argument bro.

I order every UFC and I ordered the Bellator PPV, but let's be serious, that Bellator card was nothing exceptional in terms of depth. Pretty much every UFC PPV is at the very least on par with it. Rampage vs. King Mo would NEVER headline a UFC PPV. Neither guy is even top 10 in the world at this point.

I agree when he says PPV's and the prelims should have depth. I don't remember the last time I seen a UFC PPV card where I was excited for the prelims as well as the ppv.

Didn't see many complaints then.....Now that Tito is on a Bellator PPV he isn't good enough to be on a PPV card? Pretty funny....just saying

I remember a lot of people bitching about UFC 133 which was also a short notice bout and not the original intended main event. It was a lot more positive for UFC 148 IIRC but that card had a big main event on it.

Holy shit, people are on a fucking rampage today parring guys!

Sold 1,000,000 PPVs btw.

EDIT: Good post.

I order every UFC and I ordered the Bellator PPV, but let's be serious, that Bellator card was nothing exceptional in terms of depth. Pretty much every UFC PPV is at the very least on par with it. Rampage vs. King Mo would NEVER headline a UFC PPV. Neither guy is even top 10 in the world at this point.

Wrong (some examples)

Rampage vs Hamill UFC 130
Evans vs Tito 2 Main event UFC 133
Leben vs Bisping Main event UFC 89
Wanderlei vs Franklin 2 Main Event UFC 147
Leben vs Munoz Main event of UFC 138
Marquardt vs Okami Main Event UFC 122
Akiyama vs Bisping Main Event UFC 120
Cro Cop vs Mir Main Event UFC 119
Liddell vs Franklin Main Event UFC 115

I remember a lot of people bitching about UFC 133 which was also a short notice bout and not the original intended main event. It was a lot more positive for UFC 148 IIRC but that card had a big main event on it.

Rampage - King Mo was not the original main event either but it is better on paper than Rampage - Hamill main event of UFC 130 (and many other UFC main events)

Wrong

Evans vs Tito Main event UFC 133
Marquardt vs Okami UFC 122
Akiyama vs Bisping UFC 120
Cro Cop vs Mir UFC 119
Liddell vs Franklin UFC 115

First, Leben/Bisping, Leben/Munoz, Marquardt/Okami, and Akiyama/Bisping were all on Spike, not ppv. Also, Rampage was still ranked and a star, Evan is still ranked and a star, and Liddell was a star. Not saying the main events were necessarily better, but the fighters on them are or were considered bigger stars.

First, Leben/Bisping, Leben/Munoz, Marquardt/Okami, and Akiyama/Bisping were all on Spike, not ppv. Also, Rampage was still ranked and a star, Evan is still ranked and a star, and Liddell was a star.

Rampage is still a star now. Liddell was a star too but was no where near the top 10 because he had recently been KOed 3 times and had lost a decision to Jardine.

I have no problem with people wanting to see legends fight. ( I will always watch Wanderlei even when he headlined the UFC 147 PPV against Frankin) but you guys need to quit changing your criteria as to what is worthy or not.

Tito vs Evans 2 Main event or Tito vs Forrest 3 Co Main event are somehow worthy because they are in the UFC?

Rampage vs Hamill is somehow worthy as a main event but Rampage vs King Mo isn’t?

The UFC has put on plenty of Main Events worse than or equal to Rampage vs King Mo on paper. I just named a few.

***Bisping - Leben was a PPV in some countries but it was free on Spike in the US.
Many of the others in the list were PPV. I only named numbered shows. Not Fight NIghts, FX, Fuel, or Fox shows.

Last edited:
Wrong (some examples)

Evans vs Tito 2 Main event UFC 133
Marquardt vs Okami Main Event UFC 122
Akiyama vs Bisping Main Event UFC 120
Cro Cop vs Mir Main Event UFC 119
Liddell vs Franklin Main Event UFC 115
89, 120, 122 and 138 were all free. I did forget about UFC 147 though, that card was significantly worse than the
Bellator PPV. Still, virtually every UFC PPV is on par with or better than the Bellator PPV.

I'm too big an MMA fan to say that I agree with Bjorn but I'd deinitely feel comfortable saying that there are UFC PPV events that I wouldn't pay to watch. Including this upcoming one with the joke headliner.

Huh? Barao is an awesome fighter and fun as hell to watch. Bellator's main event even was a bout between two over the hill LHW's. The co-main event was a freakshow that had no business taking place.

Rampage - King Mo was not the original main event either but it is better on paper than Rampage - Hamill main event of UFC 130 (and many other UFC main events)

Point being?

You made a comment about Tito being/not being main event level quality. I dissented. I never mentioned Rampage who is definitely a PPV headliner even in his current form. Tito isn't---and going back to when he headlined events in 2011 is not convincing me otherwise.

89, 120, 122 and 138 were all free. I did forget about UFC 147 though, that card was significantly worse than the
Bellator PPV. Still, virtually every UFC PPV is on par with or better than the Bellator PPV.

I have seen plenty of better UFC PPV cards on paper and in how the fights played out but I have also seen plenty of worse ones on paper and how the fights played out.

The Bellator card had 5 quality fights. Many UFC cards have 3 quality fights and then fill the rest with fights like Nick Ring vs Camozzi and Colin Fletcher vs Ricci as their 1st and 2nd fight on the Main Card.

Point being?

You made a comment about Tito being/not being main event level quality. I dissented. I never mentioned Rampage who is definitely a PPV headliner even in his current form. Tito isn't---and going back to when he headlined events in 2011 is not convincing me otherwise.

You mentioned the UFC 133 being a replacement fight (with Tito in the main event). Rampage - King Mo was also a short notice Main event. That was the only point I was making.

What Bellator fight did Tito headline? His last fight before going to Bellator was a Co Main Event on a UFC PPV. Right before that he headlined a UFC PPV.

He was not in a Co Main event on a Bellator card yet. (He may be in the future)

If Tito was still in the UFC they could very well have him in another Co Main event. They put him in one when he was 1-6-1 in his last 8

I'm too big an MMA fan to say that I agree with Bjorn but I'd deinitely feel comfortable saying that there are UFC PPV events that I wouldn't pay to watch. Including this upcoming one with the joke headliner.

Barao is not popular soo you wouldn't watch but you would pay for GSP dry humping someone?

yeah totaly makes sense for hardcore mma fan.

''i won't watch barao cause he makes dat 11/11 for a fight''

I have seen plenty of better UFC PPV cards on paper and in how the fights played out but I have also seen plenty of worse ones on paper and how the fights played out.

The Bellator card had 5 quality fights. Many UFC cards have 3 quality fights and then fill the rest with fights like Nick Ring vs Camozzi and Colin Fletcher vs Ricci as their 1st and 2nd fight on the Main Card.
The card you're referencing had GSP/Diaz, Hendricks/Condit and Ellenberger/Marquardt on it and did nearly a million buys.

Huh? Barao is an awesome fighter and fun as hell to watch. Bellator's main event even was a bout between two over the hill LHW's. The co-main event was a freakshow that had no business taking place.

Barao is not popular soo you wouldn't watch but you would pay for GSP dry humping someone?

''i won't watch barao cause he makes dat 11/11 for a fight''

Barao is an awesome fighter and therefore I don't think he should be fighting a dude who hasn't earned his shot at fighting a champion. I'm a big Barao fan but I'm a firm believer in fighters having to earn their shot to fight a champion and not just putting together a fight because "Barao needs someone to fight". Perhaps you both shouldn't just jump to conclusions?'

but you would pay for GSP dry humping someone?

Just Lol at this^ rubbish.

Last edited:
Back