Bjorn-Era Rampage Jackson is underrated and would have been Bellator champion

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by TheBrownRanger, Sep 15, 2020.

1. TheBrownRanger Brown Belt

[​IMG]
    Imagine if Rampage had stuck with Bellator back in 2014? Instead of fighting Malbobabo in the UFC, he decides to fight Emanuel Newton for the belt. Rampage was coming off wins from:

- Joey Beltran (Bellator title challenger, Newton lost rounds to him as well)
    - Christian M'Pumbu (Former Bellator champion)
    - King Mo (Former Strikeforce champion)

I think he would have beaten Emanuel Newton handily. His boxing would have beaten Newton's awkward style. I personally think it would have been cool to see Rampage win the Bellator Light-Heavyweight Championship a handful of years past his prime. Sure, a reign of his would have eventually been stopped by McGeary, Davis, or Vassell. But this would have added to Rampage's legacy immensely IMO.

When Rampage announced he was going to return to Bellator back in 2016, I was excited. I thought he was going to take advantage of his tournament win and fight Phil Davis for the belt (he probably would have lost, but whatever). We got something else entirely. A boring match with Ishii and an unecessary rematch with King Mo at HW. Good move, Scott.

I don't think the Bjorn version of Rampage gets enough love. They are his Wizards Jordan years. He is overshadowed by the overweight, slow shell of himself he became from 2016-2019.

For reference, Rampage beat Mo in the tournament finals and was supposed to fight Newton in 2014. I think they were training partners or something, idk.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    Typrune Goatley, pizzle and GueseGuy like this.
  2. Necrocrawler Purple Belt

Well...
    Page would be knocked out by Newton in some unorthodox stuff... Probably a spinning back fist

Newton was on fire at that time.

3. EndlessCritic Gold Belt

Newton was an extremely tough fighter, and up there with Tim Sylvia as the least respected fighter in MMA history relative to actual accomplishments.

Could Rampage have beaten Newton? Maybe. Would it have done much for his legacy to have beaten Newton? Not really.

4. GueseGuy Brown Belt

Those were the days man. Bjorn idk how he did it but Rampage at 205 is a tough thing to imagine in 2020. Those were really his last real fights before he went full Fatpage

5. Kingz Gold Belt

I thought Mo won

ZeroGravity likes this.
  6. pizzle Silver Belt

Newton was on a tear back then and was Mo's kryptonite but Rampage still had some gas in the tank then and I don't know but he seemed to have lost motivation not long after the Mo win, which was controversial and led Mo to go off on Bjorn for saying he thought Rampage won the fight in the post fight presser and all this other bullshit.. But that would've been a toss up fight I think.

7. Kos Fan Purple Belt

Rampage certainly could have beaten Newton but I always liked Newton as a fighter, I’m glad he got a couple title defenses before he fell off.

8. TheBrownRanger Brown Belt

Newton was fucking resilient against Vassell and Beltran. I just think he would have struggled against a boxer like Rampage. King Mo got KO'd because he would constantly drop his hands and shit. Rampage's granite chin would have weathered Newton's spinning shit IMO.
    Meh, I think it would have tbh. Being the first fighter to win a UFC and Bellator title before Eddie Alvarez or Cyborg would have been a cool footnote in Rampage's career, but that's just me.

9. RODNEY83 Purple Belt

Unfortunately, Rampage Jackson refused to fight Newton because they were friends and training partners. Although Newton stated he would have taken the fight at the time.

TheBrownRanger and Necrocrawler like this.
  10. Necrocrawler Purple Belt

Yeah

There was also that thing. Had forgot that.

RODNEY83 likes this.
  11. MemphisMafia Blue Belt

I am a big Rampage fan, but he lost to Mo. I was there live. Very bad decision that night. Rampage had peaked and was on his way down. Now I hate to see him fight knowing what he was before.

12. Memeojima Blue Belt

Page was complaining about UFC and getting a ton of hate here iirc. It was good to see him score a few KOs in the b leagues

13. Kforcer Dragon Slayer

Ironically, being KO'd by one of the greatest heavyweight boxers never to win the title helped shatter Sylvia's credibility, which was already rocky after having been destroyed by arguably the greatest heavyweight mixed martial artist of all-time.

14. HaulParris Gold Belt

Rampage is his own worst enemy. He lacks motivation and always blames his opponents / promoters / coaches for all his shortcomings. He could have accomplished so much more. Oh well.

15. Lethal Fiord White Belt

I mean.... He wasn't totally shot like he is today and was only a few years removed from being a top LHW contender.