BJJers: Sherdog vs training

ShowUsYaJits

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If you could convert all the time you have spent reading or posting on Sherdog into time spent doing solo drills or going to open mat, how many stripes or belts would you be above where you are now? :wink:

I'll go first. I suspect I'd be a belt above where I am now (i.e. I'd be a blue), and tapping some purples. Or rather, I'd be impervious to most anyone but the instructor because I'm learning escapes in solo rolling time. And probably someway along to have a decent guard. But sherdog time >>>> solo drill time. :icon_neut

I'd be right where I am now.

I don't post here and read here rather than go to training, so it's not wasted time.

I post here to supplement my training, by keeping me interested and focused and learning new things and seeing other people experience.

In fact, it is posting on this forum that helped me discover a fraud and help to bring that fraud down, while improving the training I was receiving.

Without this forum, it would have taken me much longer to find that out.

They haven't invented a bjj gym that is open as much as I surf Sherdog, so it's not really a fair comparison.

I'd probably be less good if I never read any message boards.

There's a very large mental aspect that you can work on just by reading, writing, and thinking critically about BJJ.

I'd figure the better our post on Sherdog get the more flare on our vest we obtain.
jennifer_aniston-officespace.jpg

They haven't invented a bjj gym that is open as much as I surf Sherdog, so it's not really a fair comparison.
The mat I have (suitable for training escapes) is worth less than a fortnight's BJJ membership. I can use it whenever I want. Do you have every escape you'd want to learn down pat?

It's true that without all the time I've spent watching MMA and reading posts at sherdog and other sites, I wouldn't be as good a grappler as I am today. But I also know that when I've spent a week doing even 20 minutes of solo drilling every day to hone my escapes, I feel very slick and fast on the mat. It also feels effortless, as I'm using less energy and so my gas tank improves.

When I don't do that, I notice it. And when sherdog takes over from doing that rolling (or even planning the rolling, as sometimes you need to decide WHICH escapes you are going to add to your repertoire, as various experts have different approaches, and this takes time), I start to feel pissed off with myself.

I'd be right where I am now.

I don't post here and read here rather than go to training, so it's not wasted time.
My post was more directed towards solo drilling, which I've found really helpful. I think it's a really important factor in my recent improvement, especially for training escapes, and especially in a gym that is both free rolling heavy and light in escapes (compared to other places I've trained at).

I post here to supplement my training, by keeping me interested and focused and learning new things and seeing other people experience.
That's a good one, I'll have to tell my wife that next time she tells me to get off the computer! I do know that learning stuff on forums is interesting. It's also possible to overdo it though. I know I'm only a white belt here but I've been lurking here probably since 2007, coinciding with when I have trained BJJ.
In fact, it is posting on this forum that helped me discover a fraud and help to bring that fraud down, while improving the training I was receiving.

Without this forum, it would have taken me much longer to find that out.
I guess I don't have anything to compare that experience to. But well done. Edit: actually, I do have experience. Before I train at any club, I research every club in my vicinity online so that I can make an informed decision on which is going to be the best (and obviously, legit). I'll then make a decision about how far I am willing to travel for the quality of instruction and competition.

Last edited:
That's a good one, I'll have to tell my wife that next time she tells me to get off the computer! I do know that learning stuff on forums is interesting. It's also possible to overdo it though. I know I'm only a white belt here but I've been lurking here probably since 2007, coinciding with when I have trained BJJ.

I've told this story before, but I'll say it again for your sake.

My guitar teacher told me that if I wanted to learn guitar, I had to do more than just play guitar. I had to listen to guitar, play with other people, go to concerts, be friends with guitar players outside of playing guitar, etc.

This is to make sure that guitar intersected various points in my life, so that if one had to be put aside for a little while (like playing because you broke a finger), the other aspects would be right there with you, keeping you in the loop and hungry, so your return would be effortless.

I find the same with BJJ. Just training all day isn't going to do it. Your body will break down. We can't always find the time. There are many reasons. Sherdog is how I maintain one of those BJJ aspects intersecting with my life. I also train, watch fights with guys I train with, go to competitions to compete and/or spectate, watch videos and even have a mat (12 x 12) in my house for training with other people.

I spend most of my time on sherdog updating my training log and discussing technique, so I'm with Balto.

ummmm, i dont go online instead of train. I train as often as the gym is open and go online instead of going out and partying with my friends and i usually am looking at grappling related things. win-win situation

same for me, like most of the people above^^^^ i just sort of browse the threads for news and techniques. i don't post that much.

I really wish I had an extra room I could convert into a gym strictly for rolling.

I really wish I had an extra room I could convert into a gym strictly for rolling.

As do I. The best I've managed is that I have a large enough space in my basement that is multi-use.

We have wood flooring on it, for parties and craft tables, etc.

Then I bought enough Dollamur Flexi-roll mats to cover 12 x 12 or 8 x 16 (depending on what we're doing), which can be easily rolled up after use.

Their pretty cheap on EBay.

I know I would be a lot poorer, because 95% of the time I'm on Sherdog, I'm also at work.

My guitar teacher told me that if I wanted to learn guitar, I had to do more than just play guitar. I had to listen to guitar, play with other people, go to concerts, be friends with guitar players outside of playing guitar, etc.
I do this sort of thing with virtually anything I do. I'll just obsess over it. Some people just have a fanatical, obsessive, addictive personality. Once they find something they like, they'll think about it constantly, research it, find forums about it, whatever. That's me. Sometimes those things are done to excess though. Particular internet forums are very addictive. I guess if you are reading sherdog to excess that it comes between other parts of your life (e.g. work, family) and even rolling, then it's time to scale it back a bit.
I find the same with BJJ. Just training all day isn't going to do it. Your body will break down. We can't always find the time. There are many reasons. Sherdog is how I maintain one of those BJJ aspects intersecting with my life. I also train, watch fights with guys I train with, go to competitions to compete and/or spectate, watch videos and even have a mat (12 x 12) in my house for training with other people.
I do something similar:
1. Sherdog (reading, until now). Doing this since I started rolling, pretty much.
2. Train
3. Watch fights with guys I train with (and on my own). Watching Pride back in the day was a factor in motivating me to start learning BJJ.
4. Compete, sometimes attend to spectate if I can't attend at the appropriate times to compete.
5. BJJ books and instructionals. Not only owning them, but actually reading them and applying them.
6. Youtube
7. Mat (it's only about 2mx2m), suitable for solo rolling and that's pretty much it. I have asked just about everyone who lives near me if they have a mat at home and would like to practice at all. So far no takers. But at a guess I've logged about 6-7 hours all up on my solo mat (e.g. about 20 sessions).
8. Write up notes on every class (well, probably about 90%). Techniques, things that worked, things that didn't, things opponents did, and every fight following a comp. Been doing this since I started rolling.
9. I'll also use my notes as a means of analyzing where my BJJ game is, where I want to be, my overall gameplan. And who I want to model parts of my game on. And any theories I have about BJJ and MMA in general. And gameplanning for upcoming competitions, and my peaking strategy.
10. Ask the guys who are better than I am in the gym (or even are worse, but have a neat move) what they do, or how they would defend a technique that they are adept at using. If they are really good, stuff at a higher level, e.g. how they got good, general sort of advice etc.

Possibly more stuff that I can't think of right now.

Has it helped my rolling? I would say so. I've done well in local level competitions (wins or places), and higher belts (e.g. some purples, instructors) have complimented my rolling. Maybe it helps that I even have a gameplan during a competition, this is kind of unusual for a WB. But I know there are times when I should be doing more stuff that I know I need to do to get better, e.g. drilling solo escapes, and deciding which escapes I'm going to learn. I basically know what I need to do, but need to ingrain the muscle memory.

ummmm, i dont go online instead of train. I train as often as the gym is open and go online instead of going out and partying with my friends and i usually am looking at grappling related things. win-win situation

this is me in about a month

I would be about the same. I overtrain as it is, so if I wasn't on here I would be Idle in some other

This is to make sure that guitar intersected various points in my life, so that if one had to be put aside for a little while (like playing because you broke a finger), the other aspects would be right there with you, keeping you in the loop and hungry, so your return would be effortless.

what he said

In sixty posts you kept yourself from making rank? I believe by that logic I'd be a black or brown belt.

I don't always have to option of open mat and I do plenty of solo frills and other training in my off time so it doesn't really overlap time slots.

I know I would be a lot poorer, because 95% of the time I'm on Sherdog, I'm also at work.

This.

Although, im not working during this current post, so i suppose it falls into the other 5%.

Damn insomnia.

Back