BJJ white belts v.s. Olympic Judoka at U.S. Open XV

we have a judo black belt in my bjj class and he could beat almost all the blues his first class, I think most instructors give judo black belts there blue belt right away.

Next thing we'll have world champion Muay Thai fighters entering local novice golden glove amateur boxing tournaments. Hey, its ok, the guy has never competed in boxing before :rolleyes:

we have a judo black belt in my bjj class and he could beat almost all the blues his first class, I think most instructors give judo black belts there blue belt right away.
No....

I'm a judo black belt. I never got my blue belt "straight away" and I can (usually) catch the blues most of the time , especially now after a couple of months training under my (white) belt.

The point is, all my knowledge is "judo related". Even though I might beat blues while rolling, that is achieved with more "instinct" and not as much pure technique.

I will grade for blue shortly and that is exactly as I prefer it. If I am to be a blue belt, I want to be able to answer a white-belt when he asks me a question on a blue belt technique.

Plus, If I am aiming for purple - I need to be able to BUILD on the techniques I perfected as a blue - not have big holes in my technical repertoire. I don't want to be a blue simply because I am physically powerful and with some judo skills can handle most blues.

On the flip-side, I will not enter a white belt division. Blue belt division would be different - I think blues have enough ability to stand a chance against the average judo black and once blue I'll be entering one or two comps to see how I fare.

was expecting some dudes to go airborne, but alas, can't all be rhadi fergusons, i suppose. btw, he does not belong in that division.

If he isn't ranked in BJJ then he is a white belt IMO. People should stop concentrating on this guys belt and train harder they are better prepared next time.

If you're saying "he doesn't look like an Olympic level Judoka", I don't know what you're watching. Dude is all technique and super smooth.

Professional athletes who's living does not depend on youtube videos(and who are not assholes) are usually very careful with beginners. There would have been serious risk of injury if that Mongolian had gone with full force. As a matter of fact most int. level Mongolians are like catapults.

Mongolian judo in full speed.
YouTube - mongolian judo

This is doubtful. Anyway, I saw Ishii grappling in Hawaii earlier this year and no white belt in any art would be able to touch him. Then again, maybe it's because he's being a 5th dan judoka and a bjj brown belt, or so I've heard.

I dont know if u were watching the same matches as me, but it was pretty clear he was just toying with them. He looked like he could have took a nap and still won.

I meant that I was expecting more of a beating based on the discussion from the other thread. He made it sound like the guy came in and tossed them like rag dolls before applying a quick sub.

It doesn't look fair at all to me. Not only he's a black belt in Judo, but an Olympic one; this means he could even be the weakest of the Olympic competitors bunch, but he will still be another level compared to a white belt in Bjj.

He should have competed at least at blue, as anybody who masters enough another grappling art should, altough it's not his fault if he's not getting promoted.

The Mongols have been known for their leg pickups, fireman's carry, and supplexes (I could say all the Japanese names).
I was dumb founded that some of the people in the back ground were looking for uchi-mata( sweeping hip throw).
And I think the only reason why this dude was there was there must been very few if any in that weight class at the time.

Unless he continues to compete there, I don't really see an issue. If he doesn't hold a BJJ rank, white is where you start. Granted, he could've started at blue, but blue belt vs Olympian isn't much better.

If he dominates blue belts like he just did those whites, which I can see him doing easily, he should go to purple. And yes, it was nice of him not to hurt those guys. I cant imagine how hard a big Mongolian like him could put someone down.

No....

I'm a judo black belt. I never got my blue belt "straight away" and I can (usually) catch the blues most of the time , especially now after a couple of months training under my (white) belt.

The point is, all my knowledge is "judo related". Even though I might beat blues while rolling, that is achieved with more "instinct" and not as much pure technique.

I will grade for blue shortly and that is exactly as I prefer it. If I am to be a blue belt, I want to be able to answer a white-belt when he asks me a question on a blue belt technique.

Plus, If I am aiming for purple - I need to be able to BUILD on the techniques I perfected as a blue - not have big holes in my technical repertoire. I don't want to be a blue simply because I am physically powerful and with some judo skills can handle most blues.

On the flip-side, I will not enter a white belt division. Blue belt division would be different - I think blues have enough ability to stand a chance against the average judo black and once blue I'll be entering one or two comps to see how I fare.

Totally agree with this. The knowledge of a typical judo black belt and a typical BJJ blue belt is different. The judo black belt will know things (especially about throwing) that the BJJ blue won't know, and won't know things (especially anything about leg locks, but also guard work) that the BJJ blue belt will know.

In class, a judo black belt should have to earn his BJJ belts. He might learn what he needs to know much faster than average (just as a college wrestler will learn it faster, or a BJJ black will learn judo much faster than your average beginner), but he should go through the process. Otherwise he's just going to have huge holes in his game.

However, for competitions, it should be based on experience rather than belt rank. This is just a safety thing, mixing real beginners with experienced grapplers in any grappling competition is a recipe for injury.

He's not ranked in BJJ, why should he compete at a higher belt?

Francois Botha competed in K1 when his background was entirely in boxing. Should he have started at some novice Muay Thai smokers amateur comp.

He may not be ranked in BJJ but c'mon that's bullshit... Our art (whether we all admit it or not) is really an offshoot of Judo. The guy's an olympic athlete, if he competed at tiddly winks, he should do it in the advanced division.

Francois Botha competed in K1 when his background was entirely in boxing. Should he have started at some novice Muay Thai smokers amateur comp.

Are your parents blood relatives?

He may not be ranked in BJJ but c'mon that's bullshit... Our art (whether we all admit it or not) is really an offshoot of Judo. The guy's an olympic athlete, if he competed at tiddly winks, he should do it in the advanced division.

What is his rank in BJJ?

White belt?

Did he compete in the white belt division?

Are your parents blood relatives?

What is his rank in BJJ?

White belt?

Did he compete in the white belt division?

Someone on the rag today? Don't worry sunshine.. Someday, when you mature a little, you'll learn to debate something without lashing out with personal insults.

He probably did what his coach though he should do. The type of person to become an Olympian isn't the type of person to be scared of competition.

The judoka is quite clearly very relaxed and not fighting to the best of his ability. His base is so strong that he stands straight up, and he takes his time calmly instead of using typical agressive judo ( pulling, twisting, jolting the opponent to make them lose their balance).

Once on the ground the guy`s base is obviously out of this world because once again he slowly but surely makes his way to the win.

FFS this guy learns some "advanced" BJJ ( half guard game, x-guard, spider guard) and he`s a purple.

Someone on the rag today? Don't worry sunshine.. Someday, when you mature a little, you'll learn to debate something without lashing out with personal insults.

Maybe one day, you'll consider how analogous some analogies really are.

I dont know if u were watching the same matches as me, but it was pretty clear he was just toying with them. He looked like he could have took a nap and still won.

I thought he was a class act..done just enough to win without hurting anyone.

Back