1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

BJJ weigh in - right before fight

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by traumaboy, Aug 25, 2010.

1. traumaboy

traumaboy White Belt

This is a tourney format. Weigh in and immediately to the mat for our match. Any advice on rehydration ? How about on cutting weight prior to match ? Thanks so much for your help.

2. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

don't cut weight

3. XTrainer

XTrainer Red Belt

This. Obviously.

4. nic

nic White Belt

for wrestling, weigh ins are 2 horus before the matches start, cutting to much water can be a bad thing the most i ever do is 5-6lbs.

5. Rws177die

Rws177die Yellow Belt

I did the IBJJF in chicago this past weekend. About two weeks away I asked to be switched to a weight class that was one up from what I picked. I ate a nice breakfest and drank water, weighed in 6lbs under weight....

6. Gary Peters

Gary Peters Purple Belt Professional Fighter

Unless you are a world class black belt a few pounds isnt going to give you a big advantage over your opponent. At your level you are better off going in at a more natural weight class and performing at 100%.

7. Russo93

Russo93 Yellow Belt

^^^

Find out what weight you can compete at naturally with some food inside you. There is obviously no point in cutting weight so you can be depleted and then go expect to win gold.

About 4-6 weeks out I just try and cut back on calories a little so I can shed fat and be competition ready when it comes to be game time.

8. mtruitt76

mtruitt76 Purple Belt

Diet down but don't cut weight. Compete at what ever weight you can diet down to and be able to maintain for about a week. Also be sure to allow yourself about 1-1.5 lbs so you will be able to eat prior to your match.

9. dayofdaspookies

dayofdaspookies Yellow Belt

gatoraid. this has worked for me at the past tournament I went to. I drank at least a half gallon and felt pretty fresh afterward. maybe its just a comfort thing but i'd give it a shot.

10. SmashiusClay

SmashiusClay Avatar of Cyttorak

You can't rehydrate adequately for a bjj tournament, they will put you on the mat within minutes of weighing in, if you're not ready to fight when you weigh in then you won't be ready to fight.

You need to get your weight right through diet in the weeks before the tournament. Given that you need to weigh in in your gi, start weighing yourself first thing in the morning with your gi in your hands. You should be aiming for a kilogram under your weight category with your gi (2lbs) that way you can eat a decent breakfast and fight feeling prepared.

11. EazyBreezy

EazyBreezy D=Winged Wheel Belt=D Banned

Weigh ins just before competing SUCK. I guess, in theory, you could try to get under your weight the night before, then try to have a decent meal and rehydrate a little, but I still think you will be at a disadvantage because a lot of guys don't cut weight for BJJ tourneys unless it is a huge one.

12. SLaKKJaW

SLaKKJaW Blue Belt

Weigh-ins just before competing are AWESOME because you don't have to worry your little head about cutting and you don't have to worry about someone getting an advantage by being able to cut better than you do. If you're easily at weight and they cut, you have the advantage.

Make sure you're under weight when fully fed and hydrated and wearing your gi and you're golden. It's better to be free and clear so you can focus on matches, not your weight.