BJJ vs Submission wrestling

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Goken27, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Goken27

Goken27 White Belt

The gracies have shown the world the effectiveness of BJJ and Sakuraba has shown the effectiveness of submission wrestling. Which style do you think is better in mix martial arts. Judge by using these catagories.

1. effective grappling
    2. Submission holds
    3. Submission escapes
    4. being in the guard(on the bottom)

IMO I think submission wrestling is better in effective grappling, and submission escapes. BJJ and sub wrestling are about even in submission holds and I think BJJ is better in being in the guard.

2. Ninjashoes

Ninjashoes Guest

sub wrestling by far

3. edgerrin32

edgerrin32 No Edge No Life

there are very few people these days who restrict themselves to using only one style...
    origionally it would be bjj because it was so easy to trap uneducated fighters. but these days bjj is a must to have for defence purposes but a good sub wrestler is pretty agressive and thats what it takes to win these days

4. 2om30

2om30 Red Belt

subwrestling is jiu-jitsu done without a gi (luta livre) both have the same roots.

5. physicaltherapy

physicaltherapy Blue Belt

Agreed. This is a silly thread....its the same.

6. physicaltherapy

"Sub wrestling" was popularized by BJJ guys

Abu Dhabi with Renzo and Prince Shiek whatshisname....

Just like they popularized MMA.........but that's another story..........

7. DMcKayBJJ

DMcKayBJJ Blue Belt

umm...what?

8. LCDforMe

LCDforMe Purple Belt

I coulda sworn that submission wrestling was just BJJ with no gi. Oh well, who am I to judge?

9. no it's not. that's like saying boxing is the same as muay thai because both use punches. they are similar grappling arts as karate and tae kwon do or kung fu are similar striking arts.

the point the original poster is missing is that MMA isn't about one art better than another. it's about learning and training all you can and adding them together.

a bjj guy might tap a sub wrestling guy and vise versa but a guy who trains in both (or more) grappling arts will usually come out on top in most cases.

10. redben

redben Purple Belt

BJJ is a style of sub wrestling. I think what Goken27 means instead of sub wrestling (and please correct me if I 'm wrong) is the catch influenced Japanese shoot style wrestling. Both bjj and shoot are submission grappling styles but they differ in some fundamental ways. BJJ grew out of judo (which differs greatly from the sport judo you get today) which was a combination of jiu jitsu and greco-roman, shoot wrestling evolved from catch wrestling which evolved mainly (but not solely) from greco-roman, freestyle and lancashire catch wrestling.

11. physicaltherapy

All I'm saying is: on Tuesdays I put on a rashguard and Sprawls, On Thursdays I put on a Gameness gold weave, on Saturdays I bring both. When I walk in through the door, there's a sign that says "Brazilian Jiu Jitsu". It's all grappling to me.

12. scorcho

scorcho Brown Belt

They are not mutually exclusive. Eddie Bravo's style of nogi BJJ is very close to, and often better than sub wrestling.

13. serima

serima Green Belt

If you are good in BJJ you are also good in SW. Almost evry Abu dabi fighter has done BJJ.

14. KillaKix

KillaKix Brown Belt

Standing by a brick wall, with a can of spray pain
    id think it depends on whos doing it...personally im a JJ artist so im biased towards them

15. BJJ has a higher amount of techniques because of the gi; getting the mount is a priority in sub-wrestling, plus it down't have as many techniques, but those that remain are thoroughly trained in. It depends on the fighter and that little thing called chance.