BJJ vs Submission wrestling

Goken27

White Belt
Reaction score
The gracies have shown the world the effectiveness of BJJ and Sakuraba has shown the effectiveness of submission wrestling. Which style do you think is better in mix martial arts. Judge by using these catagories.

1. effective grappling
2. Submission holds
3. Submission escapes
4. being in the guard(on the bottom)

IMO I think submission wrestling is better in effective grappling, and submission escapes. BJJ and sub wrestling are about even in submission holds and I think BJJ is better in being in the guard.

there are very few people these days who restrict themselves to using only one style...
origionally it would be bjj because it was so easy to trap uneducated fighters. but these days bjj is a must to have for defence purposes but a good sub wrestler is pretty agressive and thats what it takes to win these days

subwrestling is jiu-jitsu done without a gi (luta livre) both have the same roots.

"Sub wrestling" was popularized by BJJ guys

Abu Dhabi with Renzo and Prince Shiek whatshisname....

Just like they popularized MMA.........but that's another story..........

Goken27 said:
The gracies have shown the world the effectiveness of BJJ and Sakuraba has shown the effectiveness of submission wrestling. Which style do you think is better in mix martial arts. Judge by using these catagories.

1. effective grappling
2. Submission holds
3. Submission escapes
4. being in the guard(on the bottom)

IMO I think submission wrestling is better in effective grappling, and submission escapes. BJJ and sub wrestling are about even in submission holds and I think BJJ is better in being in the guard.

umm...what?

I coulda sworn that submission wrestling was just BJJ with no gi. Oh well, who am I to judge?

physicaltherapy said:
Agreed. This is a silly thread....its the same.
no it's not. that's like saying boxing is the same as muay thai because both use punches. they are similar grappling arts as karate and tae kwon do or kung fu are similar striking arts.

the point the original poster is missing is that MMA isn't about one art better than another. it's about learning and training all you can and adding them together.

a bjj guy might tap a sub wrestling guy and vise versa but a guy who trains in both (or more) grappling arts will usually come out on top in most cases.

LCDforMe said:
I coulda sworn that submission wrestling was just BJJ with no gi. Oh well, who am I to judge?

BJJ is a style of sub wrestling. I think what Goken27 means instead of sub wrestling (and please correct me if I 'm wrong) is the catch influenced Japanese shoot style wrestling. Both bjj and shoot are submission grappling styles but they differ in some fundamental ways. BJJ grew out of judo (which differs greatly from the sport judo you get today) which was a combination of jiu jitsu and greco-roman, shoot wrestling evolved from catch wrestling which evolved mainly (but not solely) from greco-roman, freestyle and lancashire catch wrestling.

Fight_Song said:
no it's not. that's like saying boxing is the same as muay thai because both use punches. they are similar grappling arts as karate and tae kwon do or kung fu are similar striking arts.

the point the original poster is missing is that MMA isn't about one art better than another. it's about learning and training all you can and adding them together.

a bjj guy might tap a sub wrestling guy and vise versa but a guy who trains in both (or more) grappling arts will usually come out on top in most cases.

All I'm saying is: on Tuesdays I put on a rashguard and Sprawls, On Thursdays I put on a Gameness gold weave, on Saturdays I bring both. When I walk in through the door, there's a sign that says "Brazilian Jiu Jitsu". It's all grappling to me.

They are not mutually exclusive. Eddie Bravo's style of nogi BJJ is very close to, and often better than sub wrestling.

If you are good in BJJ you are also good in SW. Almost evry Abu dabi fighter has done BJJ.

id think it depends on whos doing it...personally im a JJ artist so im biased towards them

BJJ has a higher amount of techniques because of the gi; getting the mount is a priority in sub-wrestling, plus it down't have as many techniques, but those that remain are thoroughly trained in. It depends on the fighter and that little thing called chance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back