Bjj vs gjj

I don't understand what planet GJJ exists on. Does no one on their world train in Wrestling, Judo or even BJJ? What happens when a GJJ guy ends up in a fight with someone who does train in grappling?

I've rolled with GJJ guys, they have bad habits that take a long time to unlearn. GJJ actually gets in the way of learning BJJ.

I do recommend the above to anyone training BJJ, if it is not part of your existing program.

Just ask your instructor if you can do it after open mats, just get a couple of guys and have fun.

I've done this before with a buddy of mine, we both wore MMA gloves, I let him throw little punches and let him get dominant positions on me throwing short punches so I could tie his arms up and sweep him. It was fun and helpful. I'd like to do it more often.

who u talkin about specifically? the online students or rener and ryron?

I don't understand why anyone would want to learn online if they had access to a perfectly normal bjj school

I've done this before with a buddy of mine, we both wore MMA gloves, I let him throw little punches and let him get dominant positions on me throwing short punches so I could tie his arms up and sweep him. It was fun and helpful. I'd like to do it more often.

Good stuff. Be careful guys only train with MMA gloves with guys you trust.

I suggest going up to 10 ounces and even 16 ounces for bigger hits and training with guys that you do not trust.

You do not want to end up at the ER afterall. We all have to go to work the next day!

I generally agree except I would take it a bit further and say GJJ's no1 priority is self defense and the sport aspect is a by product. BJJ's priority is sport and self defense is a it's by product. GJJ incorporates defending against striking within the art. Where as at most BJJ clubs that is ussually taught or handed in the mma training. Also the mindset of defense first and energy conservation that is taught as part of the GJJ philosophy doesn't lend it's self well to sportive type jiu-jitsu.

Very good explanation.

I think the sport aspect is over advertised and is due to instructors making a living of teaching BJJ. i.e gold medals = good advertising = more students.

How many times we hear a student says? my instructor is just a blue belt but we get gold medals so he is legit! It happens all the time.

Taking the striking away for BJJ teaching to emphasise on BJJ competition is a problem which need to be address/judge by each individual instructors. It is just too easy to generalize.

But yes, once strikes training is added to BJJ, it is now common to call it MMA training instead of BJJ. I do not see anything wrong with the new use of such terminology.

When I started training, we warm up in our GI and then take it off to train NOGI or Vale Tudo. The only guys really training for VT were guys representing the club and the art we represent. Our duty was to help him train and we got train that way.
We never had that luxury about doing it the GJJ way.

P.S. I have to disagree with the defense and energy conversation stuff because it is a major aspect taught in BJJ.

Very good explanation.

I think the sport aspect is over advertised and is due to instructors making a living of teaching BJJ. i.e gold medals = good advertising = more students.

How many times we hear a student says? my instructor is just a blue belt but we get gold medals so he is legit! It happens all the time.

Taking the striking away for BJJ teaching to emphasise on BJJ competition is a problem which need to be address/judge by each individual instructors. It is just too easy to generalize.

But yes, once strikes training is added to BJJ, it is now common to call it MMA training instead of BJJ. I do not see anything wrong with the new use of such terminology.

When I started training, we warm up in our GI and then take it off to train NOGI or Vale Tudo. The only guys really training for VT were guys representing the club and the art we represent. Our duty was to help him train and we got train that way.
We never had that luxury about doing it the GJJ way.

P.S. I have to disagree with the defense and energy conversation stuff because it is a major aspect taught in BJJ.[/QUOTE]

I except that. Well 2 guy's really applying those philosophy's 100 percent would just stair at each othe like 2 samuria. :icon_chee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back