Bjj vs gjj

Estebanantonio

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have read peoples post who have said the 2 are the same and that using the name GJJ is just Rorion's marketing. If they are the same does your BJJ club teach distancing on the feet against a striker, effective coming to a clinch against a striker, takedowns and weapon defense? Personally maybe it's just the BJJ club I've trained at but None of these things were really taught what about at your school?

Relson Gracie black belts are required to learn all that stuff..

good to see you back.

another epic 30 pages thread.

I trained in the clinch stuff vs resisting opponent wearing gloves. BUT never with holding weapon.

I guess the self defense stuff is boring and is taught at white belt level.

By the time you get to blue belt, you just not interested in it unless you train for a mma fight.

We actually learn how to defend ourselves from attacks with Claymore mines and bacon.

Our school is hardcore.

Bacon!

Dam, you guys are sandbagging way too much.

They have a strict curriculum that tries to use BJJ but only the "Punch proof Techniques",Rener said they train BJJ with the mentality your attacker has no prior Grappling training. Thats all good but if you ask me "sport BJJ" is just as good if not better. Every idiot knows not to jump guard,the guard is there if your put on your back and to keep them from mounting you. Helio Gracie was very much against sport BJJ because he said it favored the stronger more athletic person.

attachment.php

What were you bored or something? Do you think you are going to change anybody's mind about GJJ?

Give up already. Many of us have seen the results of GJJ and it is not as effective as it has been claimed.

I'm trying, but I just can't make myself care. I'm sure that GJJ stuff is interesting and worthwhile to learn but I am too cynical about it all. Somehow, I'm sure it comes at a "cost".

Pedro Sauer black belts have to know all the self defense moves straight out of the " master text " book
I like them. My son and I practice them on eachother all the time. There is nothing like coming after your teenage son with a club.

we have regular boxing & mma classes at my club and my coach occasionally goes through the self defence techniques when there are a lot of whitebelts in the class

we generally use jiu jitsu class time to learn jiu jitsu, personally i think training for self defence is lame as fk & a very silly reason to study BJJ

combat sports >>> self defence

I would not call lame as it serves a purpose.

It is common knowledge that Helio awarded a blue belt to his private students that completed his 40 techniques/classes program.

Cesar Gracie used to teach GJJ, but he lost the court battle over his name.

You have access to many effective street fighting techniques at our school if you pursue it. They are not normally taught in the regular bjj class.

Escrima/Kali
knife
sambo
boxing
MT
judo
Grossuda...
Hockey fighting
Lots of guys are gun enthusiasts as well.

I would not call lame as it serves a purpose.

It is common knowledge that Helio awarded a blue belt to his private students that completed his 40 techniques/classes program.

its just a personal opinion, my coach & a lot of my teammates disagree with how i feel about it... i honestly think that the entiore self defense industry is complete BS, have you visited the weapons and tactics sub forum in here?? fkn bunch a fruity nutcases in there man, i am terrified to know those ppl exist

its just a personal opinion, my coach & a lot of my teammates disagree with how i feel about it... i honestly think that the entiore self defense industry is complete BS, have you visited the weapons and tactics sub forum in here?? fkn bunch a fruity nutcases in there man, i am terrified to know those ppl exist

Each JJ Academy should make space and offer a program for guys that just want to learn to defend themselves.

Otherwise, your school is just for competition studs and rejecting the above type of students would just force them to train in those dreadfull self defense school

I am all for getting a training partner to put some gloves on and he attacks while you only use JJ to defend and defeat..it is all good fun.

Now the problem once you get someone that got JJ skills attacking you, it is not only striking attacks you got to deal with but JJ stuff as well, so it just end being some kind of MMA training.

It is no longer self defense.

Cesar Gracie used to teach GJJ, but he lost the court battle over his name.

You have access to many effective street fighting techniques at our school if you pursue it. They are not normally taught in the regular bjj class.

Escrima/Kali
knife
sambo
boxing
MT
judo
Grossuda...
Hockey fighting
Lots of guys are gun enthusiasts as well.

hey what exactly is grossuda. google didn't seem to help

I have read peoples post who have said the 2 are the same and that using the name GJJ is just Rorion's marketing. If they are the same does your BJJ club teach distancing on the feet against a striker, effective coming to a clinch against a striker, takedowns and weapon defense?

Yes, but not in the bjj class. My school teaches real weapon defense, from martial arts that specialize in full-contact weapons work (kali/escrima). From everyone I've talked to, the traditional Gracie weapon defense stuff is really not your best option if confronted with an armed attacker.

What were you bored or something? Do you think you are going to change anybody's mind about GJJ?

Give up already. Many of us have seen the results of GJJ and it is not as effective as it has been claimed.

Not bored just asking? Not effective OK?

My experience so far is that in almost every lesson from the Gracie Academy/University the techniques are the same as what I learned at my old BJJ club. The mindset is what is different and that you practice them with and without striking envolved. Also they do address weapons and standing techniques. After the combatives you do the standard type rolling in addition to the fight simulation sparring. Fight simulation sparring is basically one guy puts on boxing gloves and the other guy defends with jiu-jitsu starting from the feet.

Back