BJJ versus Baseball Bat or Knive

Against a bat, just use BJJ's famous baseball bat choke. That bat will be unconscious in seconds.

What if the bat is going no-gi? WHAT NOW?!?

Well I'd pull my bigger knife out if someone tried to knife me. If they had a bat, luckily I keep a baseball for those situations.

Nice breakdown Balto. Would you agree that there are many times that stepping into the knife attack is the right move?

Nice breakdown Balto. Would you agree that there are many times that stepping into the knife attack is the right move?

I don't think stepping directly into the knife attack is a good idea in most scenarios.

That's not to say that you don't close the distance. Obviously, if you never close the distance, you can't control the knife arm. But when you close the distance, you want to use your footwork to angle off so that you aren't running straight into it.

An easier way to illustrate this is with something bigger like a club. Imagine that you are facing a guy with a club. He is holding the club in his right hand. He steps forward with his right foot. He strikes at you with a forehanded downward angle strike towards your head.

If you also step forward on an angle with your own right foot, you are properly stepping away from the attack. Even though the distance will close here, you are angling away from the attack and giving yourself more time and room to work.

If you instead step forward on an angle with your left foot, you are stepping directly into the attack. This is not good because it is awkward to face it straight on and it decreases the time you have to react.

Does that make sense? I used to teach it to people by explaining it like a baseball diamond. You are on home plate; your attacker is on second. If he steps one foot to third, you step to first. If he steps to first, you step to third. If you both step to third, there's two things on base and that doesn't work.

Defense to a bat attack is actually very easy. Both of his hands are on the bat and there are only two ways he can swing it (overhead or like a baseball swing) either way you just step close to him and tie up both his arms. Fighting with a bat is one of the worst weapons.

I got jumped by 4 kids who were playing real-life Grand Theft Auto (Don't ask...I didnt believe it either but they actually told me that after the fact) and I took a bat from a kid doing this. There were 4 kids that all took a beating, I feel no joy from this bc they were 17yrs old, but fuck it I didnt make them jump me

And a knive is just an extension of your hand. Much harder to disarm a knife, and scarier, but not all that hard once you are comfortable. If someone pulls a knive on you.....RUN! Unless you cant! I was taught to defend knife attacks and Id still run if I could!

I feel you are 100% full of shit. :icon_chee

Apply a flying armbar technique to the bat. The bat will snap in two from the power of your technique. Then apply the same technique to your attacker's actual arm. It will have the same effect.

Immediately seize your attacker's knife arm in a kimura. Then use the control to make him stab himself in the ribs several times. Shout out "Why are you stabbing yourself?" repeatedly while you do this in case there are any witnesses. Lethal force is very serious, so you want to have a good defense in case any cops show up.

lulz, this guy won the thread fo sho.

I don't think stepping directly into the knife attack is a good idea in most scenarios.

That's not to say that you don't close the distance. Obviously, if you never close the distance, you can't control the knife arm. But when you close the distance, you want to use your footwork to angle off so that you aren't running straight into it.

An easier way to illustrate this is with something bigger like a club. Imagine that you are facing a guy with a club. He is holding the club in his right hand. He steps forward with his right foot. He strikes at you with a forehanded downward angle strike towards your head.

If you also step forward on an angle with your own right foot, you are properly stepping away from the attack. Even though the distance will close here, you are angling away from the attack and giving yourself more time and room to work.

If you instead step forward on an angle with your left foot, you are stepping directly into the attack. This is not good because it is awkward to face it straight on and it decreases the time you have to react.

Does that make sense? I used to teach it to people by explaining it like a baseball diamond. You are on home plate; your attacker is on second. If he steps one foot to third, you step to first. If he steps to first, you step to third. If you both step to third, there's two things on base and that doesn't work.

Good stuff. I trained the knife, stick and weapons defense back in the day. I'v never learned it with the baseball diamond analogy altho its interesting for sure.

I think the stepping in (at an angle of course) is usually the defense that is going to be the proper defense in this type of situation. Not many people know how to properly attack with weapons.

Good stuff. I trained the knife, stick and weapons defense back in the day. I'v never learned it with the baseball diamond analogy altho its interesting for sure.

I think the stepping in (at an angle of course) is usually the defense that is going to be the proper defense in this type of situation. Not many people know how to properly attack with weapons.

Yes, stepping in on the angle is the general theme of the footwork. You could also conceptualize it circular like Aikido (it has basically the same effect), but I'm used to the angle theory from Kali.

Sometimes you will also step back to evade a strike and let it cross center line before you step in. The reason for doing this is usually because it's much safer to step to the guy's back than to his other hand.

If I am facing a right handed backhand strike, I can step forward with my left foot angling to the left and be pretty safe. From here I can control the weapon arm and get to the guy's back. I don't have to worry about getting punched by his other hand because I am behind him.

If I am facing a right handed forehand strike, I can step forward with my right foot angling to the right. However, while I am evading the weapon strike, I am also running into his other hand. He might have another weapon or just be ready to punch me; either way I'm kind of vulnerable here. So instead it's possible to evade the right handed forearm strike by stepping back. Once the attack crosses center line, he'll have to feed it back to me as a backhand if he wants to attack again. Now I can do like above and step forward with my left foot angling to the left to get his back once again.

Against bat attacks there is a good tutorial from BJJ black belt Stephan Kesting

Yes, stepping in on the angle is the general theme of the footwork. You could also conceptualize it circular like Aikido (it has basically the same effect), but I'm used to the angle theory from Kali.

Sometimes you will also step back to evade a strike and let it cross center line before you step in. The reason for doing this is usually because it's much safer to step to the guy's back than to his other hand.

If I am facing a right handed backhand strike, I can step forward with my left foot angling to the left and be pretty safe. From here I can control the weapon arm and get to the guy's back. I don't have to worry about getting punched by his other hand because I am behind him.

If I am facing a right handed forehand strike, I can step forward with my right foot angling to the right. However, while I am evading the weapon strike, I am also running into his other hand. He might have another weapon or just be ready to punch me; either way I'm kind of vulnerable here. So instead it's possible to evade the right handed forearm strike by stepping back. Once the attack crosses center line, he'll have to feed it back to me as a backhand if he wants to attack again. Now I can do like above and step forward with my left foot angling to the left to get his back once again.

Man, thanks for all of those posts! They're full of great information! Now I understand, and I really like the way you explain angles, using a baseball diamond.

Apply a flying armbar technique to the bat. The bat will snap in two from the power of your technique. Then apply the same technique to your attacker's actual arm. It will have the same effect.

Immediately seize your attacker's knife arm in a kimura. Then use the control to make him stab himself in the ribs several times. Shout out "Why are you stabbing yourself?" repeatedly while you do this in case there are any witnesses. Lethal force is very serious, so you want to have a good defense in case any cops show up.

This would be a Steven Seagal approved answer.

seagal8.jpg

Back