BJJ-Small Circle??

Milkbone

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Someone asked me the difference between BJJ and Small Circle Jiu Jitsu, and to be honest with you, i don't really know. I train in BJJ and the only two partial classes on Small Circle i seen, was alot of wristlocks from standup. Is there grappling?? Is there strikes?? whats the biggest difference between the two??

On a very basic level, since they are both forms of jiujitsu they include all possible techniques.

A more in depth explanation is that BJJ focuses more on the groundfighting aspect of jiujitsu. Small Circle focuses more on locks from standing (in particular finger locks).

Also BJJ always has live resistance. Small Circle does not always.

I have a book on Small Circle Jiu-jitsu and I think the stuff is interesting in a way. From what I gleaned from reading the book (it was written by the founder, Wally Jay) it is a little more judo like with its throws, but has some low single leg takedowns. Lots of standing wrist locks and non-bjj type arm locks. If you've ever studied traditional Japanese jiu-jitsu, seeing something like a straight arm lock with the legs is rare, mostly guys turn their backs to the opponent and make a frame over the arm. A lot of stuff like that.

There is some mat work, but not a whole lot from what I saw. The vast majority of the mat work in the book revolved around going for a low single leg, controlling the leg and stepping over the opponent to turn them onto their chest, and hooking their leg from the inside and pinning the instep against your abdomen to put pressure on the knee. He had this one takedown where it was a low single leg into a reverse Indian deathlock. No way in hell it'd ever work, maybe against someone who was in a coma or something.

Other than that, what makes "small circle jiu-jitsu" small circle is the motion that you apply to do a choke or lock. Rather than just bend a joint the wrong way, they will do a lock that way while driving the blade of their forearm into the tricep tendon to make it more painful.

Any BJJ practicioner eventually starts using this "small circle" motion in grappling though. You twist your wrist to emphasize the blade of the forearm for chokes and locks. It was just revolutionary at the time because no one had grappled like that.

Small circle refers to the faster motion of applying any lock. For example, if someone was to perform a standing outer wrist lock the motion to lock the arm may differ from person to person depending on their flexibilty and range. Also, most people applying the lock move their own bodies to finish the move, where with small circle locks the applier uses very little motion from his/her own body and controls the other person how they wish. If you take any of these variables and perform the wrist lock in a tighter/smaller circled lock it will be applied faster, with less range of motion, and be more forceful.

Small Circle Jiu Jitsu is Traditional Jiu Jitsu. Small circle is TMA their shit doesent work becasue they dont train live... we had a brown belt or something close to that from small circle come roll with us on some sundays, the white belts with only a few months of exp tap him with ease.

i know a small circle bb who pulled out one of our purple belt's eyes... through his butt.

tma

its a small circle of guys who really do not want to "roll"and the circle keeps getting smaller!!!ttt

Small Circle Jiu Jitsu is Traditional Jiu Jitsu. Small circle is TMA their shit doesent work becasue they dont train live... we had a brown belt or something close to that from small circle come roll with us on some sundays, the white belts with only a few months of exp tap him with ease.

Your basing all of this on one guy? I know a guy with a black belt in traditional jujitsu who would tool you, so what are you trying to say? Bas said it best, hes been around the world and there is no such thing as brazilian jiujitsu, only jiujitsu. Anyone who wants to trash traditional Jiu-jitsu has little idea about how things work in the real world. Do some research on the origins of BJJ and Judo, then maybe..........just maybe it will come to you. Then again, maybe not.

Bas said it best, hes been around the world and there is no such thing as brazilian jiujitsu, only jiujitsu.

That's crazy talk. I've trained daito-ryu, aiki-jujutsu, danzan-ryu jujitsu, and BJJ, and they're all different. Yes, they're very similar since they share so many common origins, but the 60+ years of effective isolation of BJJ allowed it to evolve differently while reacting to its own local influences.

BJJ takes most stuff to the ground and has a much larger arsenal of ground techniques that are also very refined due to the competitive nature. Other forms of jujutsu take place standing, and have a larger emphasis on throws, finger locks (which are illegal in bJJ), and especially standing submissions. They also aren't nearly as battle proven as BJJ since many of the techniques were developed before the 20th century and then stagnated because of TMA's inability to evolve and adapt.

Yeah, I mean what does Bas Rutten know right?

not too much, he made many retarded comments in the past.

What the hell is that supposed to mean, no such thing as bjj-just jj. Look at bjj tournaments and then go look at jj tournaments. It is like light and day.(im not saying bjj is better, just very different). So in his case, there is no such thing as judo either..:rolleyes:

Bas probobly just doesnt like bjj, i know he calls submissions differently too like a kimura he calls a reverse figure four armlock, so im not surprised if he doesnt like bjj and doesnt want to give credit to gracies/brazilians for their art.

It is like a bicycle and a motorcycle-many differences but still a lot a like which is true

Name Bas Rutten
Nick Name El Guapo
Record 28 - 4 - 1 (Win - Loss - Draw) Wins 12 (T)KOs (42.86%)
13 Submissions (46.43%)

3 Decisions (10.71%)

Losses 3 Submissions (75.00%)
1 Decisions (25.00%)

Height 6'1 (185cm)
Weight 205lbs (93kg)
Style Submission Fighting
Birth Date 2/24/1965
City Eindhoven
Country Holland

Yeah, Bas doesnt know anything compared to some kid on the internet. My bad man. I didnt realize your knowledge was superior to Bas's. Once again my bad.

Yeah, Bas doesnt know anything compared to some kid on the internet. My bad man. I didnt realize your knowledge was superior to Bas's. Once again my bad.

So by that logic, I suppose Rampage Jackson is also an expert on the history of BJJ?

Lol, funny stuff. BJJ takes its roots from JJ, but they ARE different. Humans come from the evolution of primates, but people don't say "There are no such things as humans, just primates." Or, to be more extreme...why not "There are no such things as Muay Thai or boxing....Just throwing your limbs around.'

Name Bas Rutten
Nick Name El Guapo
Record 28 - 4 - 1 (Win - Loss - Draw) Wins 12 (T)KOs (42.86%)
13 Submissions (46.43%)

3 Decisions (10.71%)

Losses 3 Submissions (75.00%)
1 Decisions (25.00%)

Height 6'1 (185cm)
Weight 205lbs (93kg)
Style Submission Fighting
Birth Date 2/24/1965
City Eindhoven
Country Holland

ok and this means what? hes a fighter with a good record? ok great.

So if royce gracie came out and started talking about the history of boxing and mis-stating a lot of things he would be automatically right because hes a fighter?

I love the fact of how bas says things and people follow it and make threads like "I DIDNT TAP TO AN ANKLE LOCK, WHY DOES MY ANKLE HURT? BAS SAID ITS JUST PAIN!!!"

So if royce gracie came out and started talking about the history of boxing and mis-stating a lot of things he would be automatically right because hes a fighter?

I love the fact of how bas says things and people follow it and make threads like "I DIDNT TAP TO AN ANKLE LOCK, WHY DOES MY ANKLE HURT? BAS SAID ITS JUST PAIN!!!"

:D !

LOL! Please dont tell me Bas actually said that.....

bas also said a whole lot of shit about blowing the bottom out of a bottle test wise;then flunked a test himself for a nice variety of narcotics!!!ttt

Small Circle Jujitsu is more based on self defence where as BJJ is more sport realated know a days. SCJJ uses more small joint locks such as fingers and wrist but they do train ground grappling. It differs from school to school just like anyother martial art.

You guys are funny, all you got out of the bold was his record? Did you somehow miss his KO % and his submission %???? For someone who doesnt know what hes talking about, Bas sure as hell has submitted alot of folks.
So what Bas calls a kimura a reverse figure four? Do you really think BJJ is the only place to find that technique? Hahaha!!

And to the other cat, the history of BJJ? You realize that history is based around Judo right? Now, tell me..............how did this system of "Judo" come about? Exactly where are a good majority of their techniques derived from???? Hmmm, I wonder....its right on the tip of my tongue haha.

Anybody heard of Carlos Newton? You know, that guy who was pretty damn good on the ground for not being a "BJJ" practitioner? Yeah, Jiu-jitsu is bullshit.............my bad yall, once again my bad.

Back