BJJ Skin conditions

zenshin

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I put this on another forum, but I thought I could get more responses here.

I am just curious why do so many people continue to train in BJJ with all the contagious skin conditions out there? From what I red there is mat herpes, ring worm, Staph (MRSA) etc. So why do you all still train knowing that their is a chance you might get infected?

I would love to do BJJ it looks like a lot of fun, but every time I consider doing it there is always some thread I read about someone getting staph or Herpes which scares the shit out of me.

I am planning on coming back to NYC and would love to train at Marcelo's academy or Shaolins, but I just don't want to get herpes or staph.

So I ask again why do you all still train?

I know eh! These crazy fools on here probably go outside into the harmful UV rays of the sun as well, knowing fully it could lead to skin cancer.

I still train because, I simply love it! I don't really worry about getting infected since, I shower right after class, If I have any kind of scratch or cut I use a liquid bandage to completely seal it, The mats in our gym are cleaned every night, and seriously scrubbed on Saturdays, I wash my GI and all other clothes worn after every class, and in general just have good hygiene.

If you are really going to worry this much about it, you probably shouldn't drive a car, go outside, have sex or go near a cell phone (don't want crazy brain tumors)

same reason you rawdawg some chick you just met.....feels good man

on a serious note though,I got ringworm on my shin once and that shit sucked,so I started using one of those special soaps that kills everything(I think its called protect or something like that) and haven't had a problem since

also I thought the thread said BJ(Penn) skin conditions and expected a completely different thread

Last edited:
There are risks when one gets up to go take the early morning shit on the throne too. Sprained ankle, twisted knee, bent penis (morning wood, trip, fall.... yyyyyeeeeaaaaahhhhh), ACL screw up (buddy tore his walking up steps in the morning to take a crap). You still do that don't you TS?

If you live life never doing anything because of the risk you may as well invest in Matrix style bed thing and sleep the whole time.

How common are these skin conditions?

How common are these skin conditions?

They happen, you cant completelly avoid it. But wash you equipment EVERY time you use it and shower as soon as you get home and 95% of the time you'll be fine. Ringworm is WAY more common than staph and herpies in my experience, and a week or two treating it with OTC antifungal cream makes that in the past.

At the end of the post, dude, get on the mats, once your addicted you wont care, you can have another head growing out of your stomach and youll put a cream on it and go to class the next day.

I find training hockey, soccer or football puts you at a lot higher risk as far as getting injured - so why do people play those sports ? I've gotten impetigo once in my 2+ years doing BJJ. You have to understand what increases your chances of getting something like staph and avoid/eliminate those things.

If you love the sport then it doesn't matter. You can get staph from any sport you play. Most of those conditions can be treated anyways. Combat sports arent for everyone.

did you know that 115 people die every day from automobile accidents in the US? Why do you people still continue to drive?!?!

It really is rare to get any of these conditions, especially if your gym knows what they are doing in keeping their mats clean.

These conditions are more common in combat sports because they thrive in hot moist areas and the continued skin to skin contact increases risk. Be sure to shower as soon as possible when you're finished training, wash your gear, and don't share. We have a wide array of products that will help protect you, including when you cannot shower.

Just get out there and do it, but make sure you have some ABC!

Yeah, I abstain from sex because of all the potential icky, smelly germs. I also don't hug my son ever because, well, he plays in the dirt, and germs, ya know?! Whenever I go outside, I wear a hazard suit, just in case! Oh, and shaking hands? Fugheddaboutit! :p

The enjoyment you get from training outweighs the risk of skin infection. It is a risk you take, the same as the risk of injury.

Awareness of the risk and attention to post-training cleanliness is going to further narrow that risk down. I guarantee you'll find a bunch of people who have trained for years and never gotten any sort of infection. You ask these people and their response is alway going to be that they pay attention to their hygiene.

Back