BJJ shirts on Wrestlers

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by InfiniteWit, Jul 19, 2010.

1. InfiniteWit Orange Belt

While at wrestling camp over this weekend I saw the usual profusion of TapouT shirts but it struck me as odd when I started seeing BJJ related shirts. BTT and ATT shirts plus an entire team sporting shirts from a local submission grappling competition. Is it just the popularity of MMA spurring the wearing of shirts or do you guys think more kids are started to train BJJ at a younger age while still in High School.

2. Dake Blue Belt

I think wrestlers are starting to see at a younger and younger age that the best way they can compete in a combat sport beyond their "educational years" is to become a mixed martial artist as soon as they can.

3. GreenieBJJ White Belt

i think if people were going to wear a shirt to be tough it wouldn't be a bjj shirt, alot of people dont know what that is! I would say wrestlers are developing and cross training.

4. georgejjr Black Belt

I've seen worse, wrestlers wearing NFL and NHL sweaters - and I'm almost certain none of them played in the NFL or NHL.

They're just t-shirts, there's no expectation that what you wear has any correlation to what you do. Think of it as free advertising, which is a good thing.

5. PerfectBalance Yellow Belt

wow wrestlers that support grappling sports never heard of them. It's like there's all different types of wrastling. Are you going to call me out because I have a lakers shirt, yet I don't play basketball.

6. CaliKid45 Yellow Belt

yea i was at bloomsburg camp last weekend and saw it. i asked a couple if they did bjj or submission wrestling alot said no, even one of the college wrestlers was like i just bought the shirt.

7. Mike Wilson Jr. Amateur Fighter

Where did you see the BTT and ATT shirts?

I assume youre in Florida, because thats the only state that has both Academies.

8. InfiniteWit Orange Belt

Nah man I'm in NC which is one of the reasons it struck me as odd as I don't think either team has facilities here.

9. Normot Brown Belt

Saw a number of kids at wrestling tournaments with BJJ/MMA t-shirts back in Hawaii, but most of them did cross train, or did start with BJJ/MMA and thought that wrestling would be a good idea.

10. lechien Gold Belt

I cross trained in wrestling a couple of times. they just kept asking me to show them some subs as soonest they found out that I train BJJ.

11. 206warrior Purple Belt

I am a high school wrestler and I train Sambo for cross training, and a future in MMA.

12. dza76wutang Black Belt

this

13. mav720 White Belt

lol I have a Newcastle United shirt but guess what......I don't play professional football/(soccer)
    end thread/

14. Red Harvest Orange Belt

I wrestled from 6-18 and started training BJJ at 16. I was the youngest at the time but now there's kids beginning to train in it as early as 6 or 7 years old.

15. Team Sleep Black Belt

My family have all wrestled since youth, so it was a natural progression. Also when the 4 brothers got into fights it looked like early UFC matches anyway. What better way to stop your brother than to RNC his ass.

My youngest brother is 17 and when we wrestle it's always with submissions, even though he's training for wrestling season or something. The muscle memory is all the same and BJJ teaches you to maintain calm in bad positions and neutralize, then sweep, etc..

and we always liked leg rides, making fish look bad in front of their entire school with banana splits and really tryin to crank a guys body in half.

How could we not practice BJJ :p

16. Handsome Rob Orange Belt

USA Wrestling started added a grappling division a year or two ago (I think, its relatively new.) It's still not very popular, but alot of the high school wrestlers are starting to dabble with BJJ as well.