BJJ Schools & Instructors

Greg Santana

White Belt
Reaction score
Although its hard not to be bias I was wondering let's say you had to travel because of work and get to travel to many states from time to time and wanted to check out some gyms in NY, Cali or other states in the U.S. what are some places that are a must for BJJ-Gi Training...... even if it was just for a day??? and has anyone ever taking private classes and know prices????

New York

Alexandre "Soca"

Marcelo Garcia

Renzo Gracie

Cali

Nino Schembri

Renato

Cesar Gracie's gym or one of the Graciefighter affiliate gyms in Nor Cal.

Last edited:
In NY you can come down to Emerson Souza's in Baldwin, LI(it's about 15 mins closer to the manhattan than Soca's). Emerson is a 3rd degree Carlos Gracie Jr black belt. Very technical and an all around nice guy. As for prices, you can call the school for that.. i dunno what the drop in price is.

Regarding New York.....

You mention Soca's. Now he's a great instructor at all, and a tremendous competitor. My former instructor was his first American black belt, and I've heard amazing things about him. But if you're traveling to NY, his school is about an hour's drive outside of the city. Within the distance between Renzo/Marcelo, you have many many bjj schools, including my own school (Budokan Martial Arts), as well as better known instructors like Matt Serra. The NY metro area is chock full of black belts, half of whom are probably of Renzo lineage like my own.

If we're just sticking in NYC, I would have to add Shaolin's and Alliance to the list. Alliance tends to get short shrift nowadays because Marcelo set up in town, but the other Alliance school has been there longer and Marcelo used to teach there. The school is run by Fabio Clemente and Lucas Lepri teaches there. I have trained with some of their guys and I can say the instruction is top notch. Likewise, Shaolin is a legendary competitor and teaches 95% of the classes at his school, and I've heard it's great.

Why Babalu? Just curious.

Ive heard he doesnt teach all the classes at his school.

Id add a drop in to Werdums School, and since youre staying in the LA/OC area, you could always drop by BTT.

:D

i can't start new threads as people get mad when you say a dead fighters next fight is bill murray in zombieland 2

so, this is from atama bjj

"
While driving down from my favorite chinese buffet next to Miramar, I saw a sign that said, "Team Nogeuira". I went and ate my money's worth of buffet, and headed back home. Decided to stop with my son and check the new place out, as they were open. Ran into Galvao who will be teaching BJJ there, and I believe on of the managers there.

They were putting up the ring, and had a 30 foot Cage. I was told that there would be over 2200 sq ft of mat space. This would be the new home for Black House, with JDS, the Nog twins, and others in SoCal.

Looking to put my twins in there when they open, and wanted to share the info. "

MMA Underground Forums

If you're in san diego, I say you MUST visit rodrigo medeiros bjj revolution gym (in pb).

best time i've had travelling to another gym.

Why Babalu? Just curious.

Ive heard he doesnt teach all the classes at his school.

Id add a drop in to Werdums School, and since youre staying in the LA/OC area, you could always drop by BTT.

:D

The reason behind Babalu was just mainly because I googled up bjj schools in california and his came up, so why not give it a try ;)

and where is Werdums school btw????

50/50 just outside of DC has Ryan Hall as the main instructor. We seem to have a fairly constant stream of big names in BJJ rolling through. Obviously, I am biased on that. I would love to get down to Atlanta and go to Alliance for Jacare and Cobrinha.

The reason behind Babalu was just mainly because I googled up bjj schools in california and his came up, so why not give it a try ;)

and where is Werdums school btw????

Gotca. I need to get to the Ad guy for the gym, and have him take care of that. :)

Anyway, like i said, stop by Brazilian Top Team. Babalu is in Cerritos, and were maybe 10mintues away from that.

Id be glad to meet you there, just so you know someone. :D

Back