BJJ Schools in The San Fernando Valley, California

J

JFighter 1

I am from Northridge, California in the San Fernando Valley I wanted to know if anybody had any good recommendations on good local BJJ Schools or Instructors.

There is one Instructor that I have found his name is Patrick King, he is a brown belt under Royce Gracie at the Hawaiian Kenpo Martial Arts School in Reseda, California. Please if anybody knows about this instructor I would love your feedback.

Please give me any info on good BJJ schools, greatly appreciated, thanks everyone.

Jean Jacques Machado's school is located in Tarzana, which is close by. I trust you've heard of him...?

I think Fabiano Iha and Wander Braga's school (they teach together at the Lion Center I think it's called) is near that area. Might be more North Hollywood though, but look that one up anyways as an option.

www.greenwhaleproductions.com

www.chatsworthkarate.com

They have a grappling class on Mondays, at least they used to. The instructor is a purple belt Machado affiliate. They go gi/no-gi. The current schedule doesn't post the class, but I don't think it ever did. Send them an email or call and ask for Beau. Tell him Castigo sent you.

Good stuff.

Jean Jacques Machado in Tarzana. Go to yahoo to find out the address and tel. #

A brown belt under Renato Magno in North Hollywood/Studio City, its called Team Street Sports 11650 Riverside Dr #5 877-548 4877

Lion Training Center in Glendale. Go to Yahoo also, type in Fabiano Iha. They already started jui jitsu. The schedule is monday, wednesday, and friday. Next month(november) they will start boxing, kickboxing and no gi bjj. Braga is the bjj instructor while Iha is the no gi bjj instructor. $100 for 2 days bjj, $120 for 3 days bjj, and $150 for unlimited classes. I have been there, the place is really nice, there is a weight room, a regulation size boxing ring, and a lot of banana boxing bags for kickboxing. The bjj area is bigger compare to the other bjj school.

If you do not mind going to Hollywood, CA, Hayastan Grappling School. It is a combination of both judo, sambo, and jiu jitsu(traditonal). The price range from $80-1 day, $100-2 day, $120-3 day, and $130 for 4 days. The instructor is Gokor, the trainer of Karo Parisyan of the UFC. Go to yahoo and type Gokor.

I would like to thank Everybody for their posts and all their Awesome Information and Help. I am very appreciative and I Thank You ALL.

And remember this quote guys, its a good one:

"I am here to do 2 things, hand out lolipops and Ass Whoopins, and I am all out of lolipops!!!!!"
-Chris Leben,
Ultimate Fighter
Season 1

One very important factor is to select a school that is located conveniently close to you. If you have to travel too far to get there, you will inevitably wind up missing or skipping classes more often. If you find something within 15-20 minutes of your home, you'll end up going to class more regularly, and you'll progress more quickly that way.

The closest school to me is Jean Jacques Machado, located in Tarzana, its only 15 minutes away, the other closes to me is Rickson Gracie Academy about 30 minutes from me, but with traffic, who knows. The things is I really want to learn from the best and in my opinion Rickson is the Best. I want to learn from those who made the Art and have Perfected, that would be the Gracie's.

johil d'o said:
One very important factor is to select a school that is located conveniently close to you. If you have to travel too far to get there, you will inevitably wind up missing or skipping classes more often. If you find something within 15-20 minutes of your home, you'll end up going to class more regularly, and you'll progress more quickly that way.

Excellent point. I might be relocating to the Valley from Seattle. The only way I was able to train up here was because the school (Gracie Barra Mamazinho) was only about 20 minutes away, door-to-door.

I just started bjj this summer and would hate to have to abandon it. I have no idea where in the Valley I'll end up, but the company that's trying to recruit me is in Sherman Oaks. So I figure I'll be living somewhere close by ...

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

JFighter 1 said:
The closest school to me is Jean Jacques Machado, located in Tarzana, its only 15 minutes away, the other closes to me is Rickson Gracie Academy about 30 minutes from me, but with traffic, who knows. The things is I really want to learn from the best and in my opinion Rickson is the Best. I want to learn from those who made the Art and have Perfected, that would be the Gracie's.

I doubt you know who the Machados are.

wOg said:
Excellent point. I might be relocating to the Valley from Seattle. The only way I was able to train up here was because the school (Gracie Barra Mamazinho) was only about 20 minutes away, door-to-door.

I just started bjj this summer and would hate to have to abandon it. I have no idea where in the Valley I'll end up, but the company that's trying to recruit me is in Sherman Oaks. So I figure I'll be living somewhere close by ...

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Sherman oaks is only like 10-15 minutes away from the machado academy and 20 minutes away from Ricksons depending on traffic, sometimes it takes me 45 minutes to an hour to get to Ricksons area.

Thanks for the info. I'm getting on offer on Monday and if it is halfway decent, I'll be in SoCal after the new year.

It will probably take awhile getting acclimated to my new work schedule before I'll be ready to begin training again. Resendiz, can I PM you with questions about the Machado academy sometime between now and then?

Dartanian bagby (absolute jiu jitsu)he is a wander braga black belt in north hollywood great guy i trained w him for many years before i moved to arizona

10th planet jiu jitsu in hollywood with eddie bravo for all your no-gi needs

Anyone heard of "Chris Lisciandro?" Its between his academy (4 mins walking distance) or Machado Academy which is about 25 mins on bus. Chris Lisciandro got his black belt under Renato Magno, any suggestions would be helpful

Anyone heard of "Chris Lisciandro?" Its between his academy (4 mins walking distance) or Machado Academy which is about 25 mins on bus. Chris Lisciandro got his black belt under Renato Magno, any suggestions would be helpful

I don't know Chris, but Renato is a very legit black belt and, according to one of my friends, a great instructor. If Chris received his black belt from Renato, he's probably very good.

Go to the closer school with the more convenient schedule, unless the difference in quality is extremely vast. Also, the prices at JJ Machado's are pretty unreal. I was going to drop in the last time I was in LA--and the fee was $75!

Thanks Bugs, the price at Machado for one moth unlimited is $195 and for Chris its $170, so not too much difference, any thing else I need to know before signing up? Is going 6 days a week a good idea? Im pretty out of shape, how much of a difference will that make?

I just moved to Northridge myself.

Does anyone know anything about House of Champions on Van Nuys? It is a 10 minute walk from where I live, and I have been looking for a place to train.

I would love to train with the big names in the big schools, but I have a dilemma. I legally can't drive....

Im the same way Machida, but I take the bus, its easy to do that in the valley, I know it sucks, but it beats not getting anywhere.

You are right, I really do need to learn how to use the bus system...

being 21 and not allowed to drive sucks.

Back