BJJ Schools in North Jersey

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by theadam24, Oct 7, 2010.

1. theadam24

theadam24 Blue Belt

So I work, a ton during summer. Full time job, and a night/weekend job. I have no time to go to the gym, and i find cardio extremely boring. My work schedule is about to lighten significantly, and I want to look into a BJJ class.

I live in North Jersey and work in Manhattan. I looked into Renzo Gracie's academy in NYC, but I'd imagine the price would be astronomical. I've been there before and Renzo has got to be one of the top 5 nicest guys ever. Anyone have experience there? Any other gyms in North Jersey that are good?

I want to do it to get in better shape, to have a fun, and stuff like that. I would definitely take it seriously, but I don't have plans to compete.

Thanks

2. animalistik

animalistik Green Belt

Gracie Jiu-Jitsu NJ- Performance Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu - Gracie Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in North Jersey, BJJ, MMA, Bergen County, Passaic County, Rockland County, Essex County, Morris County, New York, NY, Grappling, Submission Fighting, Self Defense, kara

index

3. Kainan

Kainan Orange Belt

AMA Fight Club

South Mountain Martial Arts

where in north Jersey are you?

4. theadam24

theadam24 Blue Belt

I've come across both of those in looking around.

AMA does seem awesome, but being a guy just taking 2-3 classes a week surrounded by some legit fighters might be a little intimidating.

5. tapouttazz9

tapouttazz9 White Belt

Try kru training in Bergen field nj website is krutraining.com

6. zinndawg

zinndawg Black Belt

One of my former instructors, Paul "Opie" Fahey, opened up an academy in Jersey this year. He's a Serra blackbelt, and a phenomenal instructor. I was actually pretty disappointed when I found out that he was leaving our academy. Not sure how far it is from you, but here is the address

Club 46 Fitness
    277 Fairfield Rd
    Fairfield, NJ 07004

The website is Combat Athlete Mixed Martial Arts

edit: the website says that he is offering two free classes, so if it's not too far, i would definitely check it out.

the contact info. is on the site.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  7. Brian McLaughlin

Brian McLaughlin Green Belt Professional Fighter

The Pro fighters often do different classes. Also, the fighter who do train in the group classes are very humble and helpful training partners. There is no reason to be intimidated, the head coach is super approachable and everyone is very laid back and welcoming.

8. JCninja

JCninja White Belt

It all depends on where you live. I'm in Jersey City but I work in Manhattan - I train in Harrison NJ at Cutting Edge BJJ, it's a Nova Uniao school and the instructor received his BB under Robson Moura. Very supportive environment, terrific instruction and very, very affordable compared to Manhattan. But saying you live in North Jersey is like saying you live in the Midwest. It can be a lot of places. So it all depends on where you live. There's also a ton of great school schools in NYC, even in the last 2-3 years schools have been popping up all over. You might be able to find a great school by where you work. But North Jersey can mean a lot of places.

9. theadam24

theadam24 Blue Belt

Wow that's like 15 minutes from my house and 5 minutes from where I get the bus. Thanks for the info, I'll look into them.

Thanks for the links guys, much appreciated.

10. zinndawg

zinndawg Black Belt

Nice! I very strongly recommend checking it out. He's a very technical instructor, and does a great job of breaking down all the details.

This is actually a picture of him showing me a variation to the loop choke, at Serra's Huntington School Grand Opening.

[​IMG]

11. sfox

sfox Yellow Belt

There are a bunch of good schools in Northern NJ. Depends on where you live and atmosphere of the school that fits you. I'm Renzo Gracie Black Belt (one of his original students in the U.S.), and my academy is in Lodi:
    Silver Fox Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Academy in Lodi New Jersey - Home

I've heard good things about Paul, and if you are that close you should check him out.
    Karl

12. BREEDmonkey

BREEDmonkey Orange Belt

I don't know exactly where you live but there's a lot of Royler affiliates in north jersey.

Performance bjj - Louis Vintaloro (Royler/ David Adiv 2nd degree bb). Trained JT Torres and Jay Hayes to brown belt level. Gracie Jiu-Jitsu NJ- Performance Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu - Gracie Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in North Jersey, BJJ, MMA, Bergen County, Passaic County, Rockland County, Essex County, Morris County, New York, NY, Grappling, Submission Fighting, Self Defense, kara

Elijah bjj - Tyrone Elijah (Vintaloro bb)Home - Gracie Jiu Jitsu | Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu | New Jersey Tyrone Elijah

Mrkulic bjj -Mike Mrkulic (Vintaloro bb)index

Silver Fox BJJ - Karl Pravec (Renzo bb)Silver Fox Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Academy in Lodi New Jersey - Home

And I know I'm forgetting at least few other really good schools.

13. BREEDmonkey

BREEDmonkey Orange Belt

14. JerseyTrash

JerseyTrash Silver Belt

15. sfox

sfox Yellow Belt

I just wanted to clarify one of the above posts - I am not a Royler affiliate. I've been training with Renzo since he 1st arrived in NY area, I still train at his main academy in NYC 3-4x/week and have been and am affiliated with him. As for the "best" school, that's in the eye of the beholder (unless an objective standard is used - student retention, students' success in competition etc.). Northern NJ is a fertile area with a bunch of good schools with legitimate black belts as head instructors.
    Karl Pravec
    Silver Fox Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Academy in Lodi New Jersey - Home

16. aweiner769

aweiner769 White Belt

I dont know where in north jersey you live but if it isnt too far you could check out Alex Wilkies gym in bridgewater. i havent been there yet since im away at college and all but ive heard nothing but good reviews.

17. Jucgar

Jucgar White Belt

If you are close to Lyndhurst try njbjj.com. This is a Royler black belt, I've been training there for a year now and I love the atmosphere there.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  18. yelunatic

yelunatic White Belt

If you are in the North eastern Bergen county, NJ or Rockland county, NY area, check out Renzo Gracie Jiu-Jitsu of Northern Valley. I am the main instrucor and I am a first degee black belt directly under Renzo.

You can't go wrong with any of the BJJ schools listed above - they are all legit. It just comes down to which one is more convenient for you.

Renzo Gracie Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Academy of Northern Valley

19. GS828

GS828 Yellow Belt