BJJ & Protein Powder ?

879lexus

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If anyone can help please give some advice. I have BJJ classes on Tues/Wed & Fri/Sat. When I go to class on Wed & Sat, my muscles are just totally sore from the night before class. My neck, arms, legs, back are all sore. Will protein powder aid in fast recovery. I am not hitting the weights or anything, but just want something to recover faster on the next day training. I find myself giving only 50% on those days because my muscles hurt and I get gassed faster on the second day.

How old are you?

I'm in my mid 30's and I had similar problems. My solution is proper supplementation:

- Endurox R4 during and after class (the dose is 2 scoops--i load up 2 water bottles, each with one scoop and start drinking during class and after). I recover much faster. This stuff is magic.

- Fish oil morning and night

- Beta Alanine morning and night

- A protein powder shake during the day after and 2 on off-days

Drop me a PM and let me know how this works for you.

Bananas, a shit load of water and some protein wouldn't go astray.

If anyone can help please give some advice. I have BJJ classes on Tues/Wed & Fri/Sat. When I go to class on Wed & Sat, my muscles are just totally sore from the night before class. My neck, arms, legs, back are all sore. Will protein powder aid in fast recovery. I am not hitting the weights or anything, but just want something to recover faster on the next day training. I find myself giving only 50% on those days because my muscles hurt and I get gassed faster on the second day.

First I'll address the protein: If you're not getting enough protein in your normal diet, supplementing with some whey won't hurt you and could help. There's other supplements out there to help but it feels like you're not very familiar with supplementation in general, so you should take your time researching/asking questions (check the diet and supplementation forum, they'll probably act like assholes and tell you to check the faq but whatever, some people don't know what non private forums are for...).

Eventually you should stop getting incredibly sore from it (I'm assuming you're relatively newer to BJJ). You should also consider doing yoga, or at least stretching before/after class (dynamic stretching before class, static stretching afterwards, google the terms if you're unfamiliar). Stretching after waking up and before going to bed can also help.

On the days you aren't training BJJ you might want to go for runs, hit the rowing machine, do some body weight exercises in order to get blood going.

You can also use contrast showers (i.e. when you're taking a shower, end the shower with a couple minutes of ice cold water instead of taking a hot shower all the way through).

Make sure your diet is supportive, vegetables, fruits, etc. Hydrate yourself responsibly before, after, and during training.

Sleep as much as you can and stay active as much as you can as well, sedentary life interrupted with bouts of exercise is a good way to be sore all the time.

Hope some of this advice makes its way to you.

I have a scoop of protein ready in a mixer bottle waiting in my bag after each bjj session. I bring an extra water to dump in there after class. Definitely helps my recovery.
A lot of guys at my gym also use Endurox.

Protein powder shouldn't really make a noticible diff. All protein powder is are bcaa's and milk fats. They provide your body with great material for protein synthesis, which will help with pain once the cycle is complete I suppose; but if you're not lifting weights (muscular overload) and seriously upping your caloric intake you wont be building muscle, so It would be of minimal benefit.

Here is what I would do

A: take some nsaid's (tylenol, asperin) before you roll. Helps reduce the soreness, inflamation and will generally improve blood flow. DON'T OVERDO IT THOUGH! Prolonged use or overdosing can give you future liver problems

B: As previously stated, fish oil. It will help lubricate your joints and to some degree your muscles.

C: You have to stretch really well, theres just no getting around it. Atleast 10min after each class

D: NOT TO BE USED AT THE SAME TIME AS LETTER A!!! Some L-Arginine, it's an amino acid which aids in muscle repair, O2 transport and all around vascularity. But because it is also a vaso-dialator it can cause (rarely) a drop in bp if used with NSAID'S

Hope this helps

Yes it will help, but also a decent diet with plenty of protein will help too.

How long have you been training for because it could very well be that your body is getting used to the training schedule?

If you're going down the supplement route try and get a protein shake with some fast digesting carbs. It'll help speed up the recovery process, or that said above, get a banana down you after training.

Don't buy some cheap shitty protein though. You really do get what you pay for and it'll taste so bad you'll just hate life. But don't buy something that's stupidly expensive either. USN's stuff tastes really good and won't really break the bank.

though its effects are still debated to this day, tests have found that glutamine helps reduce muscle recovery time so you may want to give that a go

First I'll address the protein: If you're not getting enough protein in your normal diet, supplementing with some whey won't hurt you and could help. There's other supplements out there to help but it feels like you're not very familiar with supplementation in general, so you should take your time researching/asking questions (check the diet and supplementation forum, they'll probably act like assholes and tell you to check the faq but whatever, some people don't know what non private forums are for...).

Eventually you should stop getting incredibly sore from it (I'm assuming you're relatively newer to BJJ). You should also consider doing yoga, or at least stretching before/after class (dynamic stretching before class, static stretching afterwards, google the terms if you're unfamiliar). Stretching after waking up and before going to bed can also help.

On the days you aren't training BJJ you might want to go for runs, hit the rowing machine, do some body weight exercises in order to get blood going.

You can also use contrast showers (i.e. when you're taking a shower, end the shower with a couple minutes of ice cold water instead of taking a hot shower all the way through).

Make sure your diet is supportive, vegetables, fruits, etc. Hydrate yourself responsibly before, after, and during training.

Sleep as much as you can and stay active as much as you can as well, sedentary life interrupted with bouts of exercise is a good way to be sore all the time.

Hope some of this advice makes its way to you.

Excellent post.

TS, also keep in mind that muscle soreness is normal and even healthy. The human body is an amazing machine, and eventually it will adapt to the rigors of BJJ.

most protein powders are loaded with sugar, stay away from those. The sugar is a filler and makes the product cheaper to produce and sell. The really good proteins are pretty expensive. I'd try to improve your diet first by adding natural proteins like chicken, fish, milk especially fish high in Omega 3's like salmon.

Fish oil is a good supplement to take not only for joints but it is a natural anti-inflamatory which will help with muscle recovery.

Another thing is up your water intake, you might think you are intaking enough but odds are you are not.

As far as stretching it is alright but a little over rated, just do a cool down it will probably be just as effective if not more. The best option is do do cool down exercises that run a full range of motion that will keep the body moving enough to help circulate out any residual lactic acids in the system. When I played hockey I learned the best way to prevent muscle soreness in my legs the next day was to do a casual skate around the rink two or three times.

Sounds like most everyone here has you covered. My only advise would be to maybe use a protein powder with L-glutamine added. It will help aid your recovery. Protein and glutamine is most effective when ingested within 20 minutes of your workout. Also, I see a lot of people drink entirely too much at one time. Your body is really only prepared to handle 25g of protein at a time. Any more than that and you're just going to piss it out and waste a serving. My recommendation would be Body Fortress Advanced Whey Protein. They sell it at Walmart and it's only $15 for 30 sevings. It's low in sugar and should help you with your recovery. Out of all of them I have tried, it's also the one that doesn't taste like the inside of an ass.

Nor sure if its a fact , but for me cold showers seem to help against the soreness,
i think i've read something about the cold water making your muscles lose some sort of acid, anyway you\ll need to google it yourself, but imo it works.

fish oil
protien
greens
fiber
one a day pills (do your research)
hot ass shower followed by 2 minutes of ice cold make the body feel amazing afterwards.

and my personal favorite-
sauna.
working stretches and breating exercises in the sauna on my off days and/or after training have really helped my cardio and how I deal with stress from day to day.

Your body is really only prepared to handle 25g of protein at a time.

as far as protein goes;
"There has been a lot of research done on protein needs, although not much of it has focused specifically on the maximum amount digestible per meal. There have been studies where a large bolus of protein was eaten at one time rather than in small, frequent meals, and yet positive nitrogen balance was achieved. This would suggest that the 30 grams per meal limit does not exist and that 60 grams over three meals would allow your body to utilize the majority of that 180 grams.

30-40 grams per meal may be a pretty good rule of thumb for bodybuilding diets with an eating frequency of 5-6 small meals per day (slightly less for females). However, I have never found any research which says that the body has a "30 grams at a time" absolute limit and it doesn't seem likely that one fixed amount could apply to every person in every situation, with no accounting for body weight and activity level....

"The best way to figure out how much protein you need in one sitting is to first calculate your total daily protein needs. One gram per pound of bodyweight is a common recommendation (for active, strength-trained individuals), although total protein needs should be customized according to age, gender, body size, lean body mass, activity levels, energy status (deficit or surplus) and personal goals. Then take your daily needs and divide that amount by the number of meals you eat each day; usually five or six in a bodybuilding-style nutrition program.

As a bodybuilder or someone participating in regular strength training, the one gram per pound of bodyweight guideline is a pretty good estimate for daily protein needs (although some competitive bodybuilders go as high as 1.25 to 1.5 grams per pound on reduced carb pre-contest diets). If you weigh 180 pounds and you

Back