BJJ + Powerlifting = competition wins

any vids?

Unfortunately no, today I was lifting alone in my gym and my phone doesn't have a camera... I have a BJJ tourny at the end of april that if I win I'll get 500$. So I plan on using that money to buy a tablet to use for lifting help. along with some bumper plates for my gym haha.

3/8/13 PM

1 hour 45 minutes or so of BJJ including a 30-40 minute round with my instructor.

I'm officially taking a break, today and tomorrow. Between monday and friday i racked up 13 hours of training, and i'm pretty sore at the moment lol. Monday's another clean day, so imma just hold out until then. Bodyweights at 175, should be 174 by monday and 171-172 by friday.

3/11/13

Front squats: 135x10, 135x8, 165x6, 195x6, 225x3, 245x3, 225x3

lil' over an hour of BJJ

Clean pulls: 135x3, 185x3, 225x3, 235x3, 245x3
Cleans: 135x2, 145x3, 175x3, 195x3, 225x0, 225x3 (new PR)

Cleans felt pretty decent today, I was tired coming into them so considering that it was great to hit a PR. I also DO have videos of the last 2 sets (195/225) so will get those up when my coach sends em to me.

3/11/13 PM

1 hour BJJ

Popped me knee tonight in class...so hopefully that's not too bad...fuck.

3/12/13

little over an hour of BJJ

BNP: 65x10, 75x8, 85x6, 100x6, 115x3, 130x3, 115x3

Also have a job "internship" lined up for the summer, so I'm good to go on that.

3/12/13 PM

1 hour BJJ

40 minutes of JKD stick work (bratta).

Most of both of these was me working with a new guy.

3/13/13

1 hour of light BJJ, just drilling. (off of a marcelo garcia dvd, learned a pretty sick arm crush variation, and a couple small details for different armbars that I liked.)

3/13/13 PM

Very low box squats: 135x5, 185x3, 225x1, 245x1, 285x3
power jerks: 95x10, 125x8
Split jerks: 145x6, 175x6, 195x3, 225x3 (PR)

1 hour BJJ

Squats felt like shit honestly. These 2 adays are starting to take it's toll on me. Prolly do some light bjj tom morning and skip the night, so that I have the energy to lift heavy on friday/saturday.

Bodyweight is at 174

I'm horrible at identifying jerk problems. But I think you're horsestepping a bit. Which is a term I stole from Jake.

Look at Klokov's left foot, It lifts very little almost unnoticeable.

It's the same with Ilin.

EDIT:
Anyway, a horse step is a "lunge" forward on to the front foot during the dip and picking it way off the floor. Compare my split to that of this Chinese lifter and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
Given how rarely I see your vids now it's crazy the progress you've made. Congrats.

A 3/4 and front/rear-on view would help out a bit more but from the side angle my input would be:

--You're coming forward sooner than you need to. By which I mean stay on your heels harder and longer. Push the butt back slightly, push the knees out slightly, coiling every up from mid foot right back to the ball of your heel and then boom. Same violent punch you deliver in the clean and snatch followed by no hesitation into the retreat.

--Being on the fore foot of your dip and drive can lead to "horsestepping" or "donkey kicking" as mentioned above my belphasaurus rex. You want to step that lead foot out and get right back on that heel.

--Right now your torso is coming forward a but more than I'd normally like but I'm willing to bet that decreases significantly if you can drive off of your heels harder and cut down on your air time during your foot shift.

--Can't really get a good feel of your foot work laterally in relation to your body from the camera angle.

--There are other details that could be improved but I generally try to address the lowest issue(in this case your weight shift) and wait to see how that effects everything else before trying to change a bunch of shit elsewhere. If the base is correct everything else tends to follow.

That's all I have off the top of my head. I'm tired.

Belph, Ok yea I remember talking to jake about when he was trying to fix that for himself. Thanks a bunch man. And man, watching both of those guys lift is just awesome, never get tired of it.

Given how rarely I see your vids now it's crazy the progress you've made. Congrats.

A 3/4 and front/rear-on view would help out a bit more but from the side angle my input would be:

--You're coming forward sooner than you need to. By which I mean stay on your heels harder and longer. Push the butt back slightly, push the knees out slightly, coiling every up from mid foot right back to the ball of your heel and then boom. Same violent punch you deliver in the clean and snatch followed by no hesitation into the retreat.

--Being on the fore foot of your dip and drive can lead to "horsestepping" or "donkey kicking" as mentioned above my belphasaurus rex. You want to step that lead foot out and get right back on that heel.

--Right now your torso is coming forward a but more than I'd normally like but I'm willing to bet that decreases significantly if you can drive off of your heels harder and cut down on your air time during your foot shift.

--Can't really get a good feel of your foot work laterally in relation to your body from the camera angle.

--There are other details that could be improved but I generally try to address the lowest issue(in this case your weight shift) and wait to see how that effects everything else before trying to change a bunch of shit elsewhere. If the base is correct everything else tends to follow.

That's all I have off the top of my head. I'm tired.

Thanks a bunch man, really appreciate it. i'll definately be working on those things. As for my progress, all of it started with you and the lifters here. Definately wouldn't be where I am without this forum haha :D. And then having my friend come back in town (he'd been working in canada for like 6 months) and having him able to coach me weekly has helped a ton too in the last few weeks.

3/14/13

1.5 hours BJJ

bodyweight at 173.4

I really don't have anything more to add outside of what has already been addressed. Really work on keeping your hips underneath you and not sliding forward. Control your dip to help with this.

I really don't have anything more to add outside of what has already been addressed. Really work on keeping your hips underneath you and not sliding forward. Control your dip to help with this.

A'ight awesome. Thanks a bunch man!

3/15/13

little over an hour of BJJ

OH squats: 65x3, 85x3, 105x3, 125x3, 145x3, 155x3, 145x3
Snatch pulls: 125x3, 155x3, 175x3, 185x3
Snatch: 95x2, 115x2 + 1f, 125x1, 145x1, 155x0

Today just felt shitty..just terrible really, been quite a while since I"ve just had a terrible day in lifting lol. I was supposed to triple all of these snatches, but it just wasn't happening. I was getting lightheaded during the snatch pulls, so when I failed the 155x0 I just called it a day.

3/18/13

Paused front squats: 125x10, 135x8, 165x6, 195x6, 225 2x3 ( These sucked...and I mean that in the best way possible lol)

1.5 hours of BJJ

Clean pulls: 185x3, 225x3, 235x3, 245x3
Cleans: 135x3, 155x3, 185x3, 205x3, 225 2x1

a little bit of shadow boxing.

Cleans felt great technically, I felt a little weak physically though (probably from the first time doing paused front squats, combined with nothing really to eat, combined with a long ass weekend. But I caught all but 1 rep, in what felt like a perfect position)

Back