bjj positioning

I use North and south the most from top. Armbar, Kimura or take the back. From bottom I use a tight guard/Rubber guard a lot at the moment. I also play around a bit with the half guard.

From mount, I like to get as far up the body as possible until I'm crushing my opponent's elbows together with my knees almost over his face. This is good against the guys who lie there with their arms crossed defending chokes. He's got to expend a lot of energy to wriggle up and fight me off.

If you get it right you can sometimes armbar your opponent against your inner thigh.

You have to watch out for him escaping under you or bringing his legs around and hooking your chest. Some guys will be too strong or fight too well for position but I've had some success with this. Anyone else ever try it?

I'll respond even though it might end up costing me a few subs as you figure out my game. That's ok, I'm there to learn not to prove my manhood against everybody in the gym. :)

for me,

standing - I used to be totally defensive when standing. That actually worked ok as I'd catch guillotines or get a takedown on an off balance guy. But over the past month or so I've been more aggresive because I'm trying to get better. It costs me north south sometimes but that's the price of learning.

in closed guard - I can hold guard against people for a long time. However, lately I've been going for subs more from the bottom because I'm working on that part of my game. It gets me passed sometimes but it also gets me subs against the weaker white belts. Over time I'd like to be dangerous from the bottom.

in an open guard - Open guard for me is usually just a temporary position until I sweep or close it.

pulling guard - I used to do this on purpose but now I just do it if I'm losing the takedown. Because we're in an MMA school pulling guard will get you hazed and made fun of. :) It's not something I'll be doing unless I'm trying to work on something specific or I've clearly lost the takedown. I plan on working on sweeps from here because the competition I just entered really showed me the value of a good sweep from here.

in half guard - From half guard I usually either go for full mount or full guard. Sometimes I'll work the kimura or guillotine (top and bottom respectively) but for the most part I need more control to win with them.

pulling half guard - I don't do this. If I'm on the half guard on the bottom it probably happened from the takedown.

side control - With the gi, I have a number of chokes I can work here. Without it I feel like I have the best body control here but not too many subs.

in side control - I get double underhooks use one of my three escapes to get the guard. I'm sure there are cool sweeps from the bottom getting to the guards works for me a lot.

When I look at myself my main areas are more offense from the bottom and better takedowns. When I look at you I think you need 1) Put your head in the middle during the single leg to avoid the choke 2) More subs from every position. Sometimes you get the body position and it's clear that you've just run out of ideas. That's cool, it happens to me too, especially in no-gi. :)

my gi should be here in time for thursday's class... and i've never been so not excited for a package to be arriving. great now i'll have handles around my neck, chest, waist/back (belt), ankles and wrists. whose idea was this?

my single/double would be a lot better if i did it like i normally do, but that's with a head and shoulder into the gut and solar plexus..more of a spear or tackle with you taking the legs. i just dont roll that rough in practice so i've got to tighten up the technique a bit.

run out of ideas? no doubt lol. then again, the only basic submission i've drilled was the triangle on monday or tuesday. i'm a bit worried to apply something i havent drilled even if i've seen it before. honestly frightened i might hurt someone.

once i get my 3 moves from every situation, i'll be able to mix it up instead of just positional wrestling or whatever it looks like i'm doing. i'll be there tomorrow with the advanced guys and purples trying to get more mat time in as they tap me continually.

Waxwingslain said:
From mount, I like to get as far up the body as possible until I'm crushing my opponent's elbows together with my knees almost over his face. This is good against the guys who lie there with their arms crossed defending chokes. He's got to expend a lot of energy to wriggle up and fight me off.

If you get it right you can sometimes armbar your opponent against your inner thigh.

You have to watch out for him escaping under you or bringing his legs around and hooking your chest. Some guys will be too strong or fight too well for position but I've had some success with this. Anyone else ever try it?

I use this a lot. In fact, I pretty much use this high mount or a low mount with my legs trapping his. I get a lot of one-handed keylocks from here, and it makes a good transition to a mounted triangle. When they work hard on my hips to get me lower or keep me lower, they end up giving me an ezekial (no gi).

TheHighlander said:
I use this a lot. In fact, I pretty much use this high mount or a low mount with my legs trapping his. I get a lot of one-handed keylocks from here, and it makes a good transition to a mounted triangle. When they work hard on my hips to get me lower or keep me lower, they end up giving me an ezekial (no gi).

A no-gi Ezekial? How does that work?

I go to the triangle a lot too. If you keep your weight on them it's hard to excape.

I think you're right. Sitting in mid mount doing nothing is definitely NOT the way to go.

It's basically an RNC done from the front. I think it's been discussed on a few threads in the past. Wrap an arm around his neck (deep as possible), then slide your other hand across his neck. Your bottom hand grasps your biceps and your top hand reaches over to grap your deltoid (if it makes it that far...most guys tap by this point). When in doubt, press down with head or body on your top forearm.

A lot of guys that go for the triangle like to fall back to put the triangle on. I prefer to close the triangle from the top. Then, if he makes me fall I have a chance to tighten it up, but I usually finish from the top, 90% with the armbar (while keeping the triangle).

Mount is good to play if you have a good sweep game. Under most BJJ rules reversal from mount gets him nothing, but you get 2 pts for the sweep and another 4 for getting back to mount. I'm a finisher, but I'll take points where I can get them.

got the mount - i dont like mount at all. i always use side control or knee on belly but if i am in mount im looking for a rolling triangle or armbar

mounted - i escape either to half guard with elbox knee or upa to guard

in someones side control - i'm just trying to get my guard back or escape and making sure i don't get cross faced.

someone in my side control - this is my domain. im looking for gi chokes or the armbar, kimura, or keylock... this is my position

north south on someone - looking for gi choke

in someones north south - just trying to escape or reverse.

knee on stomach - 2nd favorite position. looking for gi choke, triangle or armbar... my knee on belly has gotten much better as of lately and i love using it on fat dudes

knee on my stomach - making sure i don't put my hand on their knee and giving up the kimura and trying real escapes.

someone in my closed guard - looking for sweep or armbar/triangle... i dont usually stay here long

in someones closed guard - trying to open them up and get a pass or an ankle lock.

someone in my half guard - love using eddie bravos techniques and sweeps from here. but my halfguard isnt that good

in someones half guard - just trying to pass.

standing guard pass on someone - trying to feel them out and keep the pressure on them so they don't get time to settle in and sweep.

someone doing a standing guard pass - spider guard, de la riva, or x-guard

butterfly guard- This is by far my favorite position. I love working hooks and sweeping people. my submissions are pretty good from here and i love sweeping guys twice my size.

Takedowns-- This I would have to say is my biggest advantage on people in tournaments etc. I have a background in judo and im agressive and have good balance from years of tennis and football.

TheHighlander said:
It's basically an RNC done from the front. I think it's been discussed on a few threads in the past. Wrap an arm around his neck (deep as possible), then slide your other hand across his neck. Your bottom hand grasps your biceps and your top hand reaches over to grap your deltoid (if it makes it that far...most guys tap by this point). When in doubt, press down with head or body on your top forearm.

A lot of guys that go for the triangle like to fall back to put the triangle on. I prefer to close the triangle from the top. Then, if he makes me fall I have a chance to tighten it up, but I usually finish from the top, 90% with the armbar (while keeping the triangle).

Mount is good to play if you have a good sweep game. Under most BJJ rules reversal from mount gets him nothing, but you get 2 pts for the sweep and another 4 for getting back to mount. I'm a finisher, but I'll take points where I can get them.

This sounds pretty simple - I'll go over it with my instructor next time I see him.

Staying on top is good! You can try to switch to side control or something if you mess the triangle up.

I'm working on my triangles and triangle armbars at the moment - I missed one in a competition that I should have got.

Back