1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

BJJ or 'MMA'?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Tungtvann, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Tungtvann

Tungtvann Blue Belt

I'm due to move location soon for my work to a place where I don't really know so I thought a good way to entertain myself and also to get to know some new people would be to start going to some martial arts classes. I've primarily got an interest in BJJ and found a local spot which has BJJ classes, but it's also an 'MMA gym'.

Now, I don't aspire to be a pro MMA fighter one day, my job probably wouldn't allow for this, but should I just stick to the BJJ classes or try out MMA? Or both? Is this done often? BJJ one day and then MMA another day in the week?

I only really want to go for fitness and a bit of fun, see how that goes and then maybe take part in some tournaments down the line so guessing I should probably just go for BJJ. I can't really afford to be going into work the next day too beaten so MMA probably wouldn't be suitable then!

So does anyone go to classes in both? Did you start BJJ and then venture into MMA later on? Also, how do I know if a gym is any good and not a 'McDojo' as you call it. Or do any of the UK people here have experience of anywhere on the South East coast?

Thanks guys, sorry for all the questions but I haven't been to a martial arts class since I was in school and don't want to look like some punk who watched Brock Lesnar fight then decided he wants to be in the UFC.

2. boboplata***

boboplata*** Banned Banned

for shits & giggles i'd jump right in on the mma class.

BJJ is good too, although i recommend judo 1st.

3. Tungtvann

Tungtvann Blue Belt

:icon_lol:

Well, I'm either going to get my ass kicked or I'm not. What's the worst that could happen!

4. Sloth

Sloth Brown Belt

Try both, they can both be fun and get you in good shape. As for the McDojo thing, tough call. Do some research on the coaches and verify thee backgrounds if possible. If not, check around on te web to see if anyone has experience with the gym. Get as many opinions as possible from as many places as possible.

5. Tungtvann

Tungtvann Blue Belt

They've got a real life Brasilian instructor who is a BJJ black belt, it must be gen! Haha.

Infinity Mixed Martial Arts

This is the place, I'm sure it's alright, but it just looks like it's trying to appeal to the new UFC fan. Nothing wrong with this as long as it still will teach the real side of BJJ and actually have some substance.

6. JoLOveS

JoLOveS Yellow Belt

I'm new here but why do people like to throw the word McDojo around so much.

7. YeahBee

YeahBee Samdog Original Nine

would definitly do some BJJ first, just to get used to training and rolling without the potential of a real ass whopping. I just dabble in MMA now and again but will try to focus some more on it later before I am too old and tied down by work/family

gonna get my hands up to speed first now thou if I can fit it in

8. boboplata***

it's not mcdojo, it's a team minotauro affiliate, but the head instructor is purple, nothing wrong with that but it's better to have an actual blackbelt that can supervise you instead of visiting a couple of times a year.

9. Tungtvann

Tungtvann Blue Belt

Yeah, I think I'll start off with the BJJ and there will probably be guys who train in both so I can get an idea of how it all works by talking to them. Just don't want to go to an MMA session and then get bust in the face straight away!

10. boboplata***

no way would they do that to a paying member...

on the 1st week.:icon_chee

11. MMA junkie

MMA junkie Purple Belt

Both is fun. Try it, if you like doing both, do both.

12. Rws177die

Rws177die Yellow Belt

I would start with BJJ for a bit. You will defiantly get your work out in and learn a lot at the same time.

13. xcydal

xcydal I am in here.

Happened to me back in my first MMA training day, happens to a lot of people I'm sure. It was a fucking reality check.

I think it was a good to have that gut check there, too. The gym where I started was a competition gym, not really a hobbyist joint. Around 15 pros fought out of there at any given time, it wasn't really a place to 'start' with no previous combat sports experience.

14. Matt Hilton

Matt Hilton Amateur Fighter

They have a blackbelt there though.

15. Tungtvann

Tungtvann Blue Belt

Yeah, the head instructor is not the head BJJ instructor. Anyway, looks pretty legit and I think I am going to give it a go. Can't find any info on prices though, no idea what I should be paying for classes.

16. CoventryBJJRI

CoventryBJJRI White Belt

17. TheNinthCloud

TheNinthCloud Orange Belt

I like my Judo classes, but I'd go with BJJ.

18. NoodlesRap

NoodlesRap Yellow Belt

Plenty of MMA fighters don't master BJJ.

19. td82394

td82394 Brown Belt

I thought McDojos were indigenous to 'murica. You know, with all the rampant capitalism threatening to tear apart the government.

20. BC2000

BC2000 Orange Belt

In my oppinion, if you wanna get skilled in MMA, you specialize on different aspects seperatly and then incorporate them.

I know guy's who jumps right into MMA (Vale tudo) and they never get skilled either standing or on the ground.