BJJ or Judo?

thegamer96

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Which one should I take up? For those who know about both, what are the pro's and con's of each?

I can't find a Judo school near me that fits my schedule. They are all at night. While some of the best BJJ is near where I live. Easy choice.

Judo: much better throws and standup in general, solid groundwork more focused on control and pins. Harder on your body. Usually cheaper.

BJJ: poor to adequate standup depending where you train, more complex groundwork which is more submission focused. No-gi option may translate better MMA.

On paper Judo seems the better option. I like the idea of Judo but I prefer BJJ.

Why can't you go along to a couple of classes of each? Most gyms don't even charge for a taster session or two.

Depends on what schools you are looking at, how much they charge, how good they are, and what your price range is.

There are very few good judo schools in the US (don't know where you are), so I doubt you even have the choice to train judo at a good school unless you live in the Bay Area, in Los Angeles, Chicago, or New York.

Starting with the 'art' is pointless. You need to define your training options more concretely, and then choose between them.

I'm going to say something that I think I might catch flack for. I train both BJJ and Judo. I am saying this based on the people I've trained with. I find the standup in BJJ to be better then the groundwork in Judo. Judo groundwork is not very good, you will probably never learn a side control escape, or a head an arm choke, a a triangle from the guard. Now a days, most BJJ instructors teach takedowns. ALSO, you'll more then likely learn how to wrestle in BJJ, but it's forbidden in Judo. Literally.
I love Judo equally as BJJ, but if you only can do one I'd go with BJJ

Bjj all day man and I have a black belt in Judo but when I first started bjj I was in over my head. My answer BJJ all day

I do both. If your body can tolerate judo then do judo. You can switch to bjj once you get older and judo becomes too tough for your body.

To me judo is much more fun than bjj. My old body does not agree with that, unfortunately.

Having received my black belt recently in BJJ I am just now really starting to focus more on my wrestling and Judo. Learning it all takes a damn long time. That said I would try both and see which one you enjoy more and start from there. I'll only comment on BJJ since that's where my focus has been so far.

BJJ (Good)
-more submission oriented
-more ground oriented
-maybe easier on your body
-more competitions?

BJJ (Bad)
-usually less focus on stand-up

Which one should I take up? For those who know about both, what are the pro's and con's of each?

Take the one that you like .

Take as many free classes as available and make a decision.

It really depends on the clubs and you cannot generalise it.

What you are looking for?

Close to home. Travelling long distance will suck after a while.

A club that has people of similar weight and age.

Instructors that seems normal and not too crazy. Profit oriented gyms are more friendly but it does not mean they really care about you.

Gyms that emphasise on a solid consistent curriculum. You do not want to train at a place thAt just teach random stuff.

You can do both at my club. So maybe there is similar options in you location.

If you want a better physique, I say go for Judo, and maybe after sometime you can switch as you will have an advantage in takedowns and top control. But BJJ is better for the bottom game, but I take Judo top game > BJJ bottom game.

Quality of instruction and quality of training partners mean a lot, as well.

You can argue the strengths and weaknesses of either style all day long, but if one gym is full of hard-charging and fit competitors, and the other is full of out-of-shape casuals, it should be an easy call.

Last edited:
Find a BJJ gym that focuses on takedowns too.

Problem solved.

I'm obviously biased but I'm going to say judo.

I love BJJ, so much so that I'm leaning towards making it my main sport sometime in the future, but I'm glad I did it this way round.

The standup factor takes a lot more to learn IMO and I've tapped guys that have been doing BJJ as long as I've been doing judo.

If you want a better physique, I say go for Judo, and maybe after sometime you can switch as you will have an advantage in takedowns and top control. But BJJ is better for the bottom game, but I take Judo top game > BJJ bottom game.

This is what I don't get. The top game in BJJ is WAY better then the top game in Judo. I've seen one guard pass taught in a judo format, by a very old Japanese sensei. It was a rough and unpolished version of a knee cut. BJJ has EXTENSIVE guard passing, leglocks, and better top control.

Yes, Judo's Kesa Gatame is a brutual pin, but no serious player will tap to it, pins will only win you a Judo, Sambo, or wrestling match. Any other form of grappling, (Sub Wrestling, No Gi, MMA, Self Defense, or when your punk friend starts saying his HS wrestling can beat your Martial Arts) it is useless. Because you have given up the underhook you have no way to strike, or advance your position without creating a scramble. You have to finish the fight there, and all you can attack is the one free arm and an iffy head and arm choke.

I train both, but whenever I'm training open Gi Grappling against a Judoka, I either A) shoot a single/double leg or B) pull guard. The sprawl isn't usually good as Judo has banned touching the legs, and I usually don't have to worry about getting passed.

Sorry to rant

This is what I don't get. The top game in BJJ is WAY better then the top game in Judo.
I think he meant standing instead of top.

However, from judo point of view, even you play bjj top game you are still crawling somewhere down there on the bottom doing newaza.;)

Yes, Judo's Kesa Gatame is a brutual pin, but no serious player will tap to it, pins will only win you a Judo, Sambo, or wrestling match. Any other form of grappling, (Sub Wrestling, No Gi, MMA, Self Defense, or when your punk friend starts saying his HS wrestling can beat your Martial Arts) it is useless

I think I'd disagree with your self-defense point of view on pins. Anyone without grappling experience will be completely drained out of energy in less than a minute in a pin.

Last edited:
Nice to see the good old 'lal no1 wud tap 2 chest compression lolz' myth getting trotted out still.

'Cro cop? Dean lister? Dan Severn? all those guys r pussy lolzollozlolz'

Back