BJJ or Judo?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by D2CZ, Jan 7, 2015.

1. D2CZ

D2CZ White Belt

I'm considering starting one of the two soon, I have been practicing boxing for a few years and I want to expand.

Most of the fighters I know and I am friends with are either boxers, kick boxers, kyokushin fighters and are somewhat biased towards which grappling style i should go for so i thought it would be good idea to ask here.

I mostly want to train these for myself, to expand myself as fighter.

I am studying both styles before i go and visit some gym's but could you state some differences? Sorry for my english also.

Thank you.

2. Mcmoon

Mcmoon Green Belt

Judo Pros:
    Awesome to send people flying with a good effortless throw
    From a self defense point probably more valuable
    give you a stronger clinch for boxing or muay thai
    Normally cheaper

Judo Cons:
    Steeper learning curve
    harder on the body
    Ground game not as advanced as bjj

BJJ Pros:
    easier to learn and become adequate in beginning stages
    widely available

BJJ Cons:
    more expensive
    Many places do not practice good or proper takedowns

Probably more things on both sides that other people can add.

3. ziggyholiday

ziggyholiday White Belt

I would not say BJJ is widely available

4. Kevza

Kevza Blue Belt

I would say theyre both quite different so it depends what you want. More ground based grappling , or throws . That's simplifying it of course but its basically true.

5. Mcmoon

Mcmoon Green Belt

I was basing off of personal experience with that one. Every decent sized place I have lived have had bjj but did not always have judo. In the city I live in now there are probably 3 or 4 bjj schools and no judo.

6. SummerStriker

SummerStriker Black Belt

BJJ = Bullshit Just-like Judo

7. hackenbush

hackenbush Orange Belt

You also need to factor the quality of instruction too. Poor instruction for either is a useless venture.

8. Gojujutsu

Gojujutsu Orange Belt

Just depends on where you live. Here in the local four state area (Oklahoma/Kansas/Missouri/Arkansas) we have 1 judo place as opposed to 5 bjj spots. Further out there are a few more judo schools but a lot more bjj.

9. RJ Green

RJ Green Black Belt

do both. any weaknesses in one art are complimented by the other. BJJ is a great alternate to Judo on the days you wake up sore.

you're going to be good either way, especially if you're training for general efficacy and not pure sport.

10. kjg1672

kjg1672 Brown Belt

If you're a younger guy you might want to go with judo. It's tougher on the body and a harder thing to do later in life.

11. Thai Otoshi

Thai Otoshi Gold Belt

This is a good breakdown, though I'd say the availability of schools is completely dependant on where you live.

I'd add to the judo cons, and BJJ pros, that BJJ schools tend to offer more weekly classes overall than judo schools. Every BJJ place I've trained at or looked into has had multiple days and class times available. Every judo place I've trained at or looked into has maximum 3 days available.

12. Mcmoon

Mcmoon Green Belt

Yea I said in a later post that availability was based off my personal experience. My judo place has 5 days(not that I get to go that much). One thing I dislike about there being that many class times is that I really can only make evening classes but regardless I pay for classes I can't participate in. If places would allow you to pay for only certain time classes it would be a lot better for me and my wallet.

13. doyourkegles22

doyourkegles22 Blue Belt

I do both, if you can't learn them at the same time, I would do Judo first because of the steep learning curve.

14. Uchi Mata

Uchi Mata Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks

Whichever school you can find that has better quality of instruction and training partners. Judo schools are often populated mostly by old guys and kids, BJJ schools are often populated by men in their 20s-40s who don't train very hard. If you can find a Judo or BJJ school filled with serious competitors who come to work hard, go there. They're both great martial arts but in general I always say to train at the best place you can find that's teaching something you're interested in.

15. D2CZ

D2CZ White Belt

Thank you to everyone for your replies! One thing that worries me though, is that i'm pretty tall for my age, im 15 years old and 185cm (6,1) and i have 76 kilos.. Some guys told me today that because of that i'm not fit for either of the sports.. Any thoughts on this?

16. Russky

Russky Green Belt

Just laughing :icon_lol: When I started judo/bjj I was 41, 175cm and 60 kilos.

If you are 15 I'd definitely recommend starting from judo. It is much harder to learn judo when you are older.

17. ChainFlow

ChainFlow Brown Belt

Youre 15? Do judo. As someone who's done years of both, judo is something you definitely should start earlier.

18. Uchi Mata

Uchi Mata Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks

They're wrong. That simple. There is no body type that is right or wrong for grappling, that's one of the best things about grappling as a sport. Your style will be different from someone who's 5'8" and 100 kg, but so what? BJJ and Judo champs come in all shapes and sizes.

19. Einarr

Einarr Banned Banned

Do both. You can find BJJ clubs with awful/non-existent stand-up and you can find Judo clubs filled with nothing but once-a-week guys and kata lovers.

20. jujijimmy

jujijimmy Blue Belt