BJJ on my own???

scubavanja

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I live in the Bahams right now on a island about a mile long and a mile wide, so I obviously don't have the opportunity to train at a school. I started to train back home, but took 2 classes when I got the job and had to move. I want to do something as I feel like I am wasting time. Is there anything I can do on my own to get myself ready for training when I am back home? I am willing to do anything that will prepare me or teach me something.
I am also thinking about getting quite a few instructionals. Is this a good idea if I get someone I can spar with, even though they don't know BJJ? Thanks for any help in getting me started

I guess in your case you can use anything you get your hands on. Laymen are great for BJJ practice since you get a person

scubavanja said:
I live in the Bahams right now on a island about a mile long and a mile wide, so I obviously don't have the opportunity to train at a school. I started to train back home, but took 2 classes when I got the job and had to move. I want to do something as I feel like I am wasting time. Is there anything I can do on my own to get myself ready for training when I am back home? I am willing to do anything that will prepare me or teach me something.
I am also thinking about getting quite a few instructionals. Is this a good idea if I get someone I can spar with, even though they don't know BJJ? Thanks for any help in getting me started

Wow, I never been to the Bahamas but think it would be beautiful. I will suggest the following without knowing if it will work. Try posting adds or getting the word out that you want to train in grappling. Wrestling, judo, pancrase, bjj, etc., and give people a contact number to contact if people want to get together and train. Then get an instructional, magazine article or anything that tells you how to do a move and then do it. There might be some grappler on the island for vacation that may be able to teach you or just want to roll around. This is the way it is with people who want to train without a place to train at or an instructor to teach you. Its better than nothing.

I'm really lucky there's a BJJ club 5 minutes away from my house by car...

me too... its 5 min by gus though...car should be faster! and its a gracie barra

Anything is better than nothing right ?

Sounds like you got a great place to run around though hah

VagabondMusashi said:
me too... its 5 min by gus though...car should be faster! and its a gracie barra

I hate having to take the gus. He stinks.

Well the island I live on is seriously about a mile wide and a mile long and that is it and no one lives here other than the people who work here, so I am kind of out of luck as far as finding partners who know grappling to train with. But as far as instructionals go, is that a good idea or should I just hold off..... the thing is I just want to train so bad.

scubavanja said:
Well the island I live on is seriously about a mile wide and a mile long and that is it and no one lives here other than the people who work here, so I am kind of out of luck as far as finding partners who know grappling to train with. But as far as instructionals go, is that a good idea or should I just hold off..... the thing is I just want to train so bad.

Dude, I would seriously get in just some crazy ass shape. Do tons of drills to make your hips explosive and just workout and work your cardio. When you get back, you'll have much of the battle won. In my opinion, one's ability to scrap is heavily dependent on their athletic ability.

Get some instructionals and a training partner.

Learn moves, try them out, practice them, then roll.

Also do a lot of physical conditioning.

flyingknee16 said:
Dude, I would seriously get in just some crazy ass shape. Do tons of drills to make your hips explosive and just workout and work your cardio. When you get back, you'll have much of the battle won. In my opinion, one's ability to scrap is heavily dependent on their athletic ability.

VERY true! Just working some technique with others will hardly make you an ass kicker. You need to get in outstanding athletic condition first. Cardio and body weight plyometrics are great. Get some instructionals and watch them over and over. Commit moves to memory. Once you get back to civilization you will be ready to kick ass. Much of jiu jitsu and sub grappling is high level conditioning and cardio, as well as strength and flexibility. You really don't need a partner to work on those.

Well that is great news, since I am already in kick ass shape. I work out like a maniac, but I always thought that being in shape just gave you a start, and wasn't everything. But I will definitely be in top shape when I get back home to Vancouver. I do have to work on my flexibility though, as it is not where I want it to be.....I am no musclehead who can't touch his toes, but I need to improve that. Thanks for the feedback guys.........anyone else's feedback is appreciated, especially people who have been doing BJJ a while.

scubavanja said:
Well that is great news, since I am already in kick ass shape. I work out like a maniac, but I always thought that being in shape just gave you a start, and wasn't everything. But I will definitely be in top shape when I get back home to Vancouver. I do have to work on my flexibility though, as it is not where I want it to be.....I am no musclehead who can't touch his toes, but I need to improve that. Thanks for the feedback guys.........anyone else's feedback is appreciated, especially people who have been doing BJJ a while.

Think of it this way...

techhnique is really important. but when two people have the same level of technique, it's going to be their cardio/conditioning that makes the difference. and cardio/conditioning can help you compensate for your technique in case it's not perfect.

I want as much feedback from you guys as possible....I know most of you here really know your shit, so if you have any suggestions or comments, please shoot away.

condition yourself
i think you should get a dummie aswell
and condition yourself

thats all i got to say

Pay for me to fly down and train with you. Dont forget you must allow for 8hrs a day of beach time for me.

I am not complaining about where I live, I just want to get info on how to best use my time here to get good at BJJ........so any info is appreciated

Back