BJJ on a "student visa"

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by akqjt, Mar 18, 2008.

  1. akqjt Orange Belt

    Nov 16, 2005
    Likes Received:
    SE Asia
    I have a friend who is currently on a one-year student visa in Australia training Wing Chun. There's a bunch of classroom learning, and he has to attend like 75% of them or he gets it revoked, but overall I get the impression that it's kind of a joke.

    BJJ being as informal as it is, I wonder if it is accredited in any countries such that you can get a student visa for training BJJ there full-time. It doesn't even necessarily have to be Brazil. I mean, say you're an American who just wanted to spend a year in say, Sweden, hooking up with blonde porn stars? Can you just find a BJJ school in Stockholm and have them write a letter saying you're going to train there full-time? I mean maybe to make it all legitimate you have to watch some ADCC videos in class and write a term paper on half-guard sweeps or something. I dunno.

    I'm sure it varies by country, but has anyone ever looked into doing anything like this?
  2. kimurense Brown Belt

    Jul 12, 2002
    Likes Received:
    mate, do you live in coocoo land?!? are u sure this is what is happening with your friend?

    in order to get a student visa, I recon it has to be a proper accredited school... you know? from the ministry of education or something. you can't just go to a gym and ask for degree in weight lifting.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.