BJJ Marketing Rant I filmed 1-8-13

Little_Tony

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
To the community,

On 1-8-13 I posted a video on my facebook wall regarding all of the marketing tactics, blackhat tricks and other events that are happening online with Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Just one day later, I would wake to see the news reports about what had happened in Maryland on New Years Eve. And as the days that followed other SEO tactics would play out.

This video was my message to the community about all the shady business going on and the culture that was being created, and how we need to do better. This was posted on my facebook and others shared. I was contacted by many that saw it. Some where from Maryland and others were Fathers that were upset with the whole mess. Today more people in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Martial Arts are speaking up about what is going on in Jiu-Jitsu.

Here was my message in video just two days before all the bad news hit community.

Last video share from last weeks rant about some of the problems in the jiu-jitsu community filmed 1-8-13. Just two days later the WHOLE BRAZILIAN JIU-JITSU Community would see first hand what I was talking about with the events that occurred in Maryland and Online. It is in these moments in life you should stand for something. Please share!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=408183332594224

Tony Pacenski

Props to you for speaking out Tony, I appreciate it.

I'm pleased that the likes of you and Ryan are willing to speak out, and I'm hoping that this will become a recurring theme. It's a big issue, and I'm very glad you addressed it.

Thanks.

props to you for speaking out tony, i appreciate it.

I'm pleased that the likes of you and ryan are willing to speak out, and i'm hoping that this will become a recurring theme. It's a big issue, and i'm very glad you addressed it.

Thanks.

+1,

Dang, called out Lovato.

Edit: not to say it's not well deserved, just a little surprising(even if it's not by name)

I'm not really familiar with the MMA/BJJ internet marketing community as I generally work with corporations. Sounds like theres some bait and switch shit going on which forget marketing, its just plain bad business all around.

That being said, blackhat techniques in and of themselves are alright, as long as you truly understand the risk and your intentions are good.

For hardcore SEO corporate projects I create custom blog networks for example. At the same time we actually spend some time and coin building out the sites in that network so they aren't spammy crap.

I really don't think I'd use SEO to market a gym.. there doesn't really seem to be a lot of money in it. Whats one new customer worth on average $1000-1500 as most drop out within the first year. People just get mystified with the thought that they can show up at the top of Google and the thought of "hacking the system" gets people excited.

Back