BJJ learning styles

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by thaifighter541, Jan 22, 2015.

1. thaifighter541

thaifighter541 Orange Belt

A little dilemma in my training and need advice/insight. I have stayed committed to my bjj coach and training partners for quite some time but seriously considering changing schools due to a bjj learning style or deficiency (depending on the interpretation). Without giving away my schools name, lots of famous highly regarded bjj folks come and go training and coaching at the school and it is great for a lot of the people training there as we get to learn abundant amounts of moves/concepts and train with lots of different people. However, I have come to discover that I am really only able to make progress in any activity if I focus intensely on a single area in a more controlled environment, thus a move 'learned' and practiced once or twice is just in one ear out the other for me. I have tried to get training partners to do and implement drill sessions so we can really study and solidify understanding but I have just been laughed at more or less and generated little if any interest-not just at this one school but other places as well. I really want to stay committed to my coach, so Is it necessary to change my outlook and find mental techniques to readily learn and administer new moves/techniques/concepts, or should I find a school that is more drill centric in light of my learning style?

2. yetanother

yetanother Brown Belt

Most people can't learn things they haven't repeated a lot.

3. snakeybizz

snakeybizz Purple Belt

honestly for me I need to drill a move once or twice (but it has to be perfect) but still it takes a good amount of reps to get it perfect

once I'm at that stage I can drill it a thousand times but it does nothing for me...I have to hit in rolling a thousands times to get to the next level

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  4. Mocrates

Mocrates Ik ben Groot.

Are you a shit shooter?

5. Gambledub

Gambledub Brown Belt

The resistance of most bjj'ers to drill outside of class is baffling.

6. Mocrates

Mocrates Ik ben Groot.

TS, good luck finding BJJ partners willing to drill. Seems like a mixed bag.
    The resistance of most BJJers to drill INSIDE of class is even more baffling.

We were just talking about this in another thread.

7. Marbig

Marbig Brown Belt

I think its not so much learning style as it is necessity. I really don't see how a person can drill 3-4 things for 2-3 times each then remember them all for next class.

With that said, what you described seems to be the common structure in most BJJ classes. The part where you get laughed at for asking to drill is not though. I don't know - personally, I have 3-4 training partners that I have drilling sessions with. Most of the time, I just arrive 10-15 minutes before class so that I can grab another early bird and drill with them. I also find drawing flow charts (in terms of what moves you are going to use if one gets blocked etc.) and going through new technique in my head helps too.

I would say go to a better school if there is one...or maybe just look harder to find someone to really practice with. Maybe buy yourself a grappling dummy even if they don't really react at all (which means drilling sequences like arbar -> triangle or eziekal -> armbar -> back take etc hard)

8. Gambledub

Gambledub Brown Belt

Very true, I find it crazy that if you watch a BJJ match from 15 or so years ago you can see a huge difference in technical advancement. Yet when it comes to teaching most schools have probably changed very little in how BJJ is learnt or taught.

9. Higus

Higus Silver Belt

I get what OP is saying. I feel like once you get to a certain point, you really need to focus more on rolling, situation drills, experimentation and theory rather than adding new moves to your repertoire. Sadly, most schools structure their curriculum around the "technique of the week" format.

10. robby241

robby241 Blue Belt

at the two places i train at, we drill like hell for the majority of class. we roll for maybe the last ten to fifteen minutes until the end of class and even then some of us still stay late. we arent a place that produces world champions but everyone is a solid jiu jitsu guy.

11. thaifighter541

thaifighter541 Orange Belt

I guess it is an overstatement that I get laughed at, I do have a few training partners that are eager to drill but the general consesus of the training group is practice a technique once or twice then just roll. My main coach espouses drilling but is never able to organize drilling in a solid consistent manner for classes.

I may be thinking too much but rather frustrated in my training as I feel I have not been learning even though I eagerly show up to train and get better.

12. Gambledub

Gambledub Brown Belt

I think the "just roll" mentality is pretty common in a lot of places. I get why instructors tend to not emphasize drill classes etc, it's because people don't show up and it's a waste of time for them to run it. It often happens with Wrestling/Judo/Takedown classes too.

13. Mocrates

Mocrates Ik ben Groot.

Huh?

Judo classes tend to be like 2/3s drilling. It's the most important part of training. It's also a foregone conclusion that you WILL have to drill. Sitting around and shooting the shit about the last Grand Prix doesn't even enter a judoka's mind.

Consider the intensity of the wrestling mindset, I'd imagine they're similar.

The "to drill or not to drill" mindset is a pure BJJ thing.

14. Balto

Balto Silver Belt

Look bro, I'm just not going to drill, okay? My groin hurts. My left groin. Yeah I pulled it or something. I don't know how. That part is not important. What is important is that I'm just going to sit here and butterfly stretch that bad boy out, all right?

And when we roll, I need you to go about 29%. What does 29% mean? I'll lay it out for you since you seem new around here. 29% means whenever I do a move and it works, you were going 29%. If I do a move and you do something to make it not work, that's way harder than 29%. And that makes you a spaz.

15. snakeybizz

snakeybizz Purple Belt

rolling > drilling

16. smc

smc Green Belt

I was talking about this with the coach at my current school. He was talking about drilling, and how people don't seem to like doing it. It's true, most people don't like doing it. It's much harden than a few shrimps and rolls into talking about techniques.

My experience with drilling was really enforced with Dennis at Connection Rio. We had "Dennis Class" which was a ton of drills. I've never been so tired in a BJJ class in my life. It sucked, I hated it (I wasn't the caliber athlete of everyone else there), but something happened. I started hitting the guard passes, hitting some things off my back. Then I didn't want to miss those classes.

Drilling sucks, and most people know it sucks and will not want to do it, the key is to show them the benefit of it. When they start hitting things more often, and connect the dots, that's when drilling becomes important to them. The problem is, they never usually get to that point because they don't drill enough to get to that point in the first place, because you know, it sucks.

I'm just getting back from a big layoff, and I find that the classes that are a few warmups/straight into technique don't motivate me. We started drilling in advanced classes, and now I can't wait until Tues/Thurs hits, because that ass kicking in training is what I need to get motivated.

17. Mocrates

Mocrates Ik ben Groot.

Shit shooter confirmed.

Tell you what, since I know you cross train in judo now, why don't you try hitting a throw in randori after only fitting in for it twice ever?

Hey bro, did you see Eddie Bravo at Metamoris last week?

18. Gambledub

Gambledub Brown Belt

I was meaning that BJJ schools that have drilling classes often get low turn out for them.

Similar to how if a BJJ school puts in a wrestling/judo class they often get lower turnout of people too. Not the amount of drilling in those styles.

I just worded it poorly.

19. Airdack

Airdack Tiramisu can't melt steel pipes.

get a big fitness ball, tie a gi top to it, and drill the fuck outta any gi-top related techniques without an expensive dummy or a partner. Still drilling with my ball to this day, worked wonders for rolling setup techniques. Originally did the ball thing because I couldn't find anybody in my academy who was free for open mat.

One of the craziest things about drilling I learned was when I went to Renzo Gracie Academy in NYC. Talked to some amazing black belts who literally picked a technique a week and drilled that technique 3 hours a day for 6 days that week, then picked another technique the next week. The dedication that takes is unbelievable. Drilling > rolling all day, its the basics that get ya.

Must be easy as hell to go for a technique when you spent 18 hours in a week religiously working on it.

20. snakeybizz

snakeybizz Purple Belt

twice is a bit extreme...but I guarantee if I focused on a judo technique 70 - 30 sparring to drilling it would be much then if I worked on the same technique 30 - 70