Bjj/Judo or Mma with Muay Thai training?

Cashy11

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi I'm 13, I train Muay Thai and want to start training for mma. Should I focus on bjj/judo classes to develop a solid grappling game or should I take some mma classes. Any replies would be appreciated.

MMA is not a sport or technique. It's a ruleset. If you go to judo club you will learn judo. If you go to BJJ club you'll learn BJJ. If you go to an MMA club what you learn depends on a coach. Most likely that would be crappy version of judo and jiu-jitsu.

At 13 judo is the best sport. You can start bjj later when your body gets older.

MMA is not a sport or technique. It's a ruleset. If you go to judo club you will learn judo. If you go to BJJ club you'll learn BJJ. If you go to an MMA club what you learn depends on a coach. Most likely that would be crappy version of judo and jiu-jitsu.

At 13 judo is the best sport. You can start bjj later when your body gets older.
Thanks for your reply, the gym i train at has great trainers in most martial arts (bjj judo Muay Thai kickboxing) and a few others so it's pretty easy to find classes.

If you're in America, do you have wrestling available in local highschools (if you're there already that is).

Really overall it depends, are you looking to compete in MMA in the future?
I think judo will play well into your MT since you are training with clinching; However, I would say that BJJ is more essential to MMA than judo. Even if you don't plan on being a sub artist, you still need to know how to survive on the ground, and at least keep it on your feet if MT is your base.

MMA classes are better for sealing the holes in your game, all styles have to adapt when it comes to MMA, every individual style has weak points.
eg.
  • MT being to upright is easier for takedowns to land, and harder to sprawl, MT clinching habits (hips close, jock-to-jock) and the double collar tie is asking to be put into takedown city
  • BJJ being too used to hanging out on the ground is bad when strikes are raining from above. 2-to-1 grips are bad as well since you are open to strikes. More focused on subs on top when really its about position -> strike until the cows come home (if the ref doesn't stand you up, and you're allowed to gnp for the whole round, do it) -> sub when the chance occurs.
  • Wrestlers being too used to stuffing takedowns are more susceptible to headhunting setups
  • etc

Last edited:
If you're in America, do you have wrestling available in local highschools (if you're there already that is).

Really overall it depends, are you looking to compete in MMA in the future?
I think judo will play well into your MT since you are training with clinching; However, I would say that BJJ is more essential to MMA than judo. Even if you don't plan on being a sub artist, you still need to know how to survive on the ground, and at least keep it on your feet if MT is your base.

MMA classes are better for sealing the :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: in your game, all styles have to adapt when it comes to MMA, every individual style has weak points.
eg.
  • MT being to upright is easier for takedowns to land, and harder to sprawl, MT clinching habits (hips close, jock-to-jock) and the double collar tie is asking to be put into takedown city
  • BJJ being too used to hanging out on the ground is bad when strikes are raining from above. 2-to-1 grips are bad as well since you are open to strikes. More focused on subs on top when really its about position -> strike until the cows come home (if the ref doesn't stand you up, and you're allowed to gnp for the whole round, do it) -> sub when the chance occurs.
  • Wrestlers being too used to stuffing takedowns are more susceptible to headhunting setups
  • etc
Thanks for the reply! I'm not from America so there's not much wrestling around my area or in high schools. I am looking to compete in mma in the future.

Thanks for the reply! I'm not from America so there's not much wrestling around my area or in high schools. I am looking to compete in mma in the future.

Where are you from? I may be able to help more if I know.

Hi I'm 13, I train Muay Thai and want to start training for mma. Should I focus on bjj/judo classes to develop a solid grappling game or should I take some mma classes. Any replies would be appreciated.

learn bjj. add wrestling if its in your school.

If you want to compete MMA, add BJJ to your game. It is what the pros do. This board will be the only place you'll hear Judo--it is a nice compliment to your game and not a waste, but use the next few years most wisely in BJJ. You can always learn some Judo technique, and when you train MMA it is incorporated by most coaches. That said, my experience is that coaches have a hard time training guys for MMA until they have basic competence in MT and BJJ. You technically can go other routes, and I always recommends trying new things and borrowing from other arts, but also firmly believe people are doing you a disservice if they tell you to do anything other than focus on mastering anything other than MT and BJJ first.

I'd say do mostly BJJ + Muay Thai.

Once in a while do a class in MMA, wrestling, boxing...or whatever else is available in your gym.

If you go to an MMA club what you learn depends on a coach. Most likely that would be crappy version of judo and jiu-jitsu.

Completely depends on the school. My gym is more bjj focused so they win a lot of tournaments and the pro mma fighters who's records I've seen at my gym got the majority of their mma victories by submission. They also have boxing, muay Thai, judo and wrestling there. The boxing coach is a former golden gloves boxer so it really depends on the credentials of the coaches that these gyms are able to bring in.

Judo is pretty high impact with being slammed on the mat so much. Add to the fact that high school wrestling is an invaluable skill set that I wouldn't pass up on a chance to learn but is going to be added stress on your body and I'd probably put judo off until a little later. BJJ is an essential skillset for mma these days and isn't going to be as rough on the body at 13.

Back