BJJ in San Jose

cadubon

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I will be living in Monterey CA and am looking at a school for my 10 and 7 year old to attend. I am willing to drive up to San Jose if necessary. Currently, they both train at AOJ with the Mendes bros. (1.5 hr commute).

My question is, what kids program does the best in that area ? Batata? IMA? AKA? Franca? Heroes? Guerilla?

Thank you all

Monterey Sports Center has a wrestling class that I hear is good but have never checked out personally. I can't remember if they are once a week or twice but at the price anything at the sports center can't be beat. I'd highly recommend any kid learning BJJ to also learn wrestling.

Daniel Thomas has kid's classes in BJJ once a week at Bodyworx. Those are the options closest by that I could easily recommend.

There is a gym in Watsonville that is good (A Claudio Franca BB) but it would be hell to go there in traffic after work. If you found a gym you love in Salinas it might be workable but that 68 sucks with traffic so it would be best to learn how to go there via reservation rd through old Fort Ord.

You might check out Guerilla JJ in San Jose, if you're willing to drive 45 minutes. It's a great school, I've trained there when I've been in town on business.

AKA
Leandro Vieira is the instructor, and you have a plethora of fighters there, duh!

San Jose is a pretty far drive from Monterey...Why don't you check out some the Santa Cruz schools like Kaijin, Claudio Franca or Batata? If you are going to make the trip to SJ, Guerrilla has a great program. The kids all seem to have fun, just won the kids and juniors trophies at this last weekend's US Open.

This guy presumably drives from Temecula all the way to OC for his kids to train at AoJ. Nasty commutes don't seem to phase him for his kids' training. I've heard and seen good things about Guerrilla's program also. Kaijin is a phenomenal school. Be sure to check out the Claudio Affiliates out in your neck of the woods too though.

Thank you all for the replies. Actually, its my wife that makes the commute from Temecula to AOJ (1hr 20 minutes) 3 times a week. Some of you may think that that is crazy but if you checked their kids competition class, you would realize why. There are people that drive from palms spring and some that moved from Hawaii to train there.

How far is Guerilla from Monterey? What is Claudio's home school? Thanks again!

Thank you all for the replies. Actually, its my wife that makes the commute from Temecula to AOJ (1hr 20 minutes) 3 times a week. Some of you may think that that is crazy but if you checked their kids competition class, you would realize why. There are people that drive from palms spring and some that moved from Hawaii to train there.

How far is Guerilla from Monterey? What is Claudio's home school? Thanks again!

Guerilla is about 45 minutes, it's downtown in San Jose.

From Monterey, Guerrilla would be about 1 hour and 40 minutes or so. In any sort of traffic, it would be quite a bit longer. Claudio Franca's school is just called Claudo Franca BJJ. That would be about 45 minutes from Monterey.

Last edited:
From Monterey, Guerrilla would be about 1 hour and 40 minutes or so. In any sort of traffic, it would be quite a bit longer. Claudio Franca's school is just called Claudo Franca BJJ. That would be about 45 minutes from Monterey.

The one in Watsonville is 40 minutes in good traffic (42 minutes from New Monterey maybe 5 minutes less from Old Monterey).

Santa Cruz is a good hour and can take longer in bad traffic.

San Jose is an hour and a half in a good traffic if you drive fast and you are lucky enough to get no traffic. There are a lot of places that can get bottlenecked on the route there.

This is the instructor page for the one in Watsonville. You could try getting music lessons next door and kill two birds with one trip.

If you are working in Monterey (or better yet stationed there) you could pick a place to live in-between Monterey and your ideal place to train.

There is a Zeus BJJ in Monterey... No idea about it.

Kaijin in Santa Cruz is your best bet imo, lots of kids classes, great instructors, and pretty close to monterey

We are revamping our kids bjj program at IMA. We now have 4 assistants in addition to Flavio and Queixinho teaching.

At the US Open we cleaned house in adult and seniors, one area we were lacking was kids and this will change soon :)

Back