BJJ in NYC: is Josh Griffiths and Studio X the answer?

Also, does anyone at the school other than josh..students I mean...compete in bjj or grappling?

I used to compete against Studio X guys all the time when Marcelo was there. I doubt they stopped when he left.

I used to compete against Studio X guys all the time when Marcelo was there. I doubt they stopped when he left.

Josh's studio X (fyi, he lost that name in court a few weeks ago) is a different school then the one by union square that Marcelo taught at. For the moment we compete as Alliance NY. I have not heard of anyone from the new studio X competing, but the school hasn't been around since january.

I go to nyc studio x it's perfect for me. I took the trial and instantly loved it. Everyone treats me like I'm part of the family. The instructions are of top quality and josh is the man.

Josh is the type of man with the charisma to really trick you into thinking he is your friend. He is a male whore.

Ok, I've read the dirty laundry. But I'm not interested in the drama (at least now that I've read all about it). I'm interested in quality bjj instruction that fits my schedule and Studio X's does, plus the gym looks pretty sweet.

I ask those who are in the know: What is the quality of the instruction? In all honest...bs, moral judgements, and character issues aside.

On a serious note. Josh is a good instructor, although I still couldn't recommend training there because I think a sense of community in jiu jitsu is important. On issues that would really matter to you, I think the only thing you should be concerned with is that since it is a new school there are not many senior students compared to the more established schools in the city. If you are new, this won't matter much. But if you are already experienced you would want a school with purples and browns in order to push you during training.

On a serious note. Josh is a good instructor, although I still couldn't recommend training there because I think a sense of community in jiu jitsu is important. On issues that would really matter to you, I think the only thing you should be concerned with is that since it is a new school there are not many senior students compared to the more established schools in the city. If you are new, this won't matter much. But if you are already experienced you would want a school with purples and browns in order to push you during training.

I hear ya. I'd like to check out Alliance as well. how big are the classes there right now?

I believe Lucas Lepri will be an instructor at Alliance NY later this summer. I would definitely check them out.

I hear ya. I'd like to check out Alliance as well. how big are the classes there right now?

The classes were getting big, but since we have had two classes a night the average is down to around 12-14. Occasionally they will be around 8 or as many as 20. The break down of the classes is pretty evenly split between all the belts.

Is there any hope of Fabio getting the new space back from Josh and Dan K?

Back