bjj in novi michigan

jujitsumaster29

White Belt
Reaction score
tyoone gooden just open vision juijitsu on 14mile in novi.he is a black belt under rigan machado come check him out best in bjj in michigan

Cobbled together from a post on MMA Underground, etc.:

Rigan Machado Black Belt and Pan Am Medalist Tyrone "Houdini" Gooden announces the opening of Vision Brazilian Jiu Jitsu at 14 mile and Novi Road in Novi, Michigan. Former head instructor at East West Martial Arts, Tyrone is also a former boxer who holds black belts in a total of five or six martial arts (forget how many, exactly). A highly sought after MMA coach in the midwest, Tyrone has also been invited and flown in to teach everywhere from California to Saudi Arabia. Following a recent match against seven-time world champion Rodrigo "Comprido" Medeiros, Comprido had this say: "Tyrone Gooden stepped in [at the last minute] because my other opponent . . . had to back out yesterday because of family problems. I'm a lot bigger than Tyrone and I thought he did a great job. He had very good defense, kept his elbows tight and avoided all my submissions." (In addition to his skill on the mat, Tyrone is a great guy, always respectful and sometimes flat out frickin' hilarious as well.)

Mon - Thur : 11:30 AM - 12:30 PM // 12:30 PM - 1:00 PM open mat // 6:30 PM - 7:30 PM // 7:30 PM - 8:30 PM

Friday - : 11:30 AM - 12:30 PM // 12:30 PM - 1:00 PM open mat // 6:30 PM - 7:30 PM**

Saturday - 11:30 AM - 12:30 PM // 12:30 PM - 1:00 PM open mat
(** Signifies open mat training)

31174 Novi Rd. Novi, 48377
(Right next to Tae Kwon Do school)

Email - [email protected] (We check email regularly and will respond within 24 hours.)

Text Only Number - 248 - 252 - 8830

\\ Vision Brazilian Jiu Jitsu //

I've been training at Vision BJJ for the last month or so. There are a lot of advanced students at the school, but as a beginner I've had a great experience. Everyone is friendly and eager to help out. Professor Gooden really works hard teaching and making sure that everyone is getting the most out of their training time. I have been really impressed not just by his technique, but by his hard work and attitude.

On the topic of Michigan, I'm living in pontiac. Would you guys recommend warrior way?

On the topic of Michigan, I'm living in pontiac. Would you guys recommend warrior way?

I train in another school, but I've dropped into Warrior Way. From what I can tell they seem like nice guys, good facilities. Definitely legit training. Go for it.

I've got a friend who trains MT out there. Sounds like an alright place. Vision is only a few minutes down the road from there, so you might want to check out both while you're looking around.

Warrior way is top notch. They have been around the longest of any school in Michigan and have the most black belts. I have competed against their guys and they are good.

I've got a friend who trains MT out there. Sounds like an alright place. Vision is only a few minutes down the road from there, so you might want to check out both while you're looking around.

Yeah, I want to do MT and BJJ. Hopefully I won't get overloaded seeing as I've never done any stand up and only been doing BJJ for about 3 months with a purple belt from warrior way.

Does vision do any stand up too? I kind of want to do some form of stand up +bjj.

Warrior way is top notch. They have been around the longest of any school in Michigan and have the most black belts. I have competed against their guys and they are good.

Good to hear. I'm pretty excited to start at a legit place instead of just a club.

Jamel McCurry has a place in Royal Oak now. He's really cool, and a BB under . . . Carlos Machado?

Don't know what kind of drive that is from Pontiac. (I also don't know how much time Jamel spends in Royal Oak; I think his main academy is in Clinton Twp.)

Last edited:

I train with a guy who was at Warrior Way. He liked training there but hated the drive (from Ferndale). He trains all the way in Romeo at TNT now. Mash Gym is worth checking out, too. All 3 are Caique affiliates.

gotta give another vote for warrior way. 3 bjj blackbelts up there everyday plus matee is easily far and away the best muay thai instructor in the state.

No. From what I have heard from other guys in the area and from people who have competed against others from Warrior Way, unless you are hardcore into competitve training, I wouldn't recomend it. Its my understanding that they are stricktly a competition school.

No. From what I have heard from other guys in the area and from people who have competed against others from Warrior Way, unless you are hardcore into competitve training, I wouldn't recomend it. Its my understanding that they are stricktly a competition school.

I would recommend Warrior Way. It is my understanding that you don't know what you are talking about. They have people of all skill levels, and I have seen there guys of all levels compete. Some are good, some are less good, some are athletic, some are not so much.

Checked out the website and can't figure out who teaches there. As of this weekend, there are now 12 bjj blackbelts in Michigan (Raymond Trammell just got promoted). Many of them are in the southeast, and unless one of them teaches at this place you recommend, I'd look elsewhere. Too many good options in the area: Ray, Tyrone, Ryan at East West, Montise Peterson in Dearborn, Jamel, as I've said, heard good things about Warrior Way, etc. . . .

Checked out the website and can't figure out who teaches there. As of this weekend, there are now 12 bjj blackbelts in Michigan (Raymond Trammell just got promoted). Many of them are in the southeast, and unless one of them teaches at this place you recommend, I'd look elsewhere. Too many good options in the area: Ray, Tyrone, Ryan at East West, Montise Peterson in Dearborn, Jamel, as I've said, heard good things about Warrior Way, etc. . . .

The Ribeiro school in Detroit has one blackbelt, and as of next month will have three (assuming the promotions go as planned).

Back