bjj in novi michigan

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by jujitsumaster29, Aug 14, 2010.

1. jujitsumaster29

jujitsumaster29 White Belt

tyoone gooden just open vision juijitsu on 14mile in novi.he is a black belt under rigan machado come check him out best in bjj in michigan

2. Joshu

Joshu Blue Belt

Cobbled together from a post on MMA Underground, etc.:

Rigan Machado Black Belt and Pan Am Medalist Tyrone "Houdini" Gooden announces the opening of Vision Brazilian Jiu Jitsu at 14 mile and Novi Road in Novi, Michigan. Former head instructor at East West Martial Arts, Tyrone is also a former boxer who holds black belts in a total of five or six martial arts (forget how many, exactly). A highly sought after MMA coach in the midwest, Tyrone has also been invited and flown in to teach everywhere from California to Saudi Arabia. Following a recent match against seven-time world champion Rodrigo "Comprido" Medeiros, Comprido had this say: "Tyrone Gooden stepped in [at the last minute] because my other opponent . . . had to back out yesterday because of family problems. I'm a lot bigger than Tyrone and I thought he did a great job. He had very good defense, kept his elbows tight and avoided all my submissions." (In addition to his skill on the mat, Tyrone is a great guy, always respectful and sometimes flat out frickin' hilarious as well.)

Mon - Thur : 11:30 AM - 12:30 PM // 12:30 PM - 1:00 PM open mat // 6:30 PM - 7:30 PM // 7:30 PM - 8:30 PM

Friday - : 11:30 AM - 12:30 PM // 12:30 PM - 1:00 PM open mat // 6:30 PM - 7:30 PM**

Saturday - 11:30 AM - 12:30 PM // 12:30 PM - 1:00 PM open mat
    (** Signifies open mat training)

31174 Novi Rd. Novi, 48377
    (Right next to Tae Kwon Do school)

Email - [email protected] (We check email regularly and will respond within 24 hours.)

Text Only Number - 248 - 252 - 8830

\\ Vision Brazilian Jiu Jitsu //

3. CAP-10

CAP-10 White Belt

I've been training at Vision BJJ for the last month or so. There are a lot of advanced students at the school, but as a beginner I've had a great experience. Everyone is friendly and eager to help out. Professor Gooden really works hard teaching and making sure that everyone is getting the most out of their training time. I have been really impressed not just by his technique, but by his hard work and attitude.

4. curb1850

curb1850 Green Belt

Damn, looks like a great opportunity!

5. Bryk

Bryk White Belt

On the topic of Michigan, I'm living in pontiac. Would you guys recommend warrior way?

6. akdms

akdms Blue Belt

I train in another school, but I've dropped into Warrior Way. From what I can tell they seem like nice guys, good facilities. Definitely legit training. Go for it.

7. CAP-10

CAP-10 White Belt

I've got a friend who trains MT out there. Sounds like an alright place. Vision is only a few minutes down the road from there, so you might want to check out both while you're looking around.

8. Wrestleben

Wrestleben Brown Belt

Warrior way is top notch. They have been around the longest of any school in Michigan and have the most black belts. I have competed against their guys and they are good.

9. Bryk

Bryk White Belt

Yeah, I want to do MT and BJJ. Hopefully I won't get overloaded seeing as I've never done any stand up and only been doing BJJ for about 3 months with a purple belt from warrior way.

Does vision do any stand up too? I kind of want to do some form of stand up +bjj.

Good to hear. I'm pretty excited to start at a legit place instead of just a club.

10. Russo93

Russo93 Yellow Belt

11. akdms

akdms Blue Belt

If anyone is wondering how it ended, Ty started opening Comprido's guard, they both stood up. Comprido drop-seoi'd Tyrone. Tyrone recovered guard. Match ended with Comprido standing to open Ty's guard.

I still have my vid -- just never uploaded it.

12. Joshu

Joshu Blue Belt

Jamel McCurry has a place in Royal Oak now. He's really cool, and a BB under . . . Carlos Machado?

Don't know what kind of drive that is from Pontiac. (I also don't know how much time Jamel spends in Royal Oak; I think his main academy is in Clinton Twp.)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  13. ChiliDavis65

ChiliDavis65 Blue Belt

I train with a guy who was at Warrior Way. He liked training there but hated the drive (from Ferndale). He trains all the way in Romeo at TNT now. Mash Gym is worth checking out, too. All 3 are Caique affiliates.

14. Nate Brow

Nate Brow Amateur Fighter

gotta give another vote for warrior way. 3 bjj blackbelts up there everyday plus matee is easily far and away the best muay thai instructor in the state.

15. jujitsumaster29

jujitsumaster29 White Belt

tyrone is the best black belt in michigan train with the best my friend

16. gocubs1815

gocubs1815 Black Belt

No. From what I have heard from other guys in the area and from people who have competed against others from Warrior Way, unless you are hardcore into competitve training, I wouldn't recomend it. Its my understanding that they are stricktly a competition school.

17. tjitsu

tjitsu White Belt

I've been training here for almost 2 years now.

Martial Arts Unlimited | BJJ, Muay Thai, Kali, Wing Chun | Clawson, Michigan

Instruction is awesome. The school was like a diamond in the rough (almost no one I had talked to prior to training there had heard of it). Anyway, we seem to be getting a lot of guys from other schools joining up.

Just another school to consider if your out toward Royal Oak.h

18. Jdonw

Jdonw Green Belt

I would recommend Warrior Way. It is my understanding that you don't know what you are talking about. They have people of all skill levels, and I have seen there guys of all levels compete. Some are good, some are less good, some are athletic, some are not so much.

19. Joshu

Joshu Blue Belt

Checked out the website and can't figure out who teaches there. As of this weekend, there are now 12 bjj blackbelts in Michigan (Raymond Trammell just got promoted). Many of them are in the southeast, and unless one of them teaches at this place you recommend, I'd look elsewhere. Too many good options in the area: Ray, Tyrone, Ryan at East West, Montise Peterson in Dearborn, Jamel, as I've said, heard good things about Warrior Way, etc. . . .

20. akdms

akdms Blue Belt

The Ribeiro school in Detroit has one blackbelt, and as of next month will have three (assuming the promotions go as planned).