BJJ in Film & Television

In The Last Samurai during a sparring session one of the Samurais takes tom cruise down and kneebars him. Since it was supposed to be in the 1800's though, it was probably Judo or JJJ.

Its at about 58 mins. Cruise has his back standing, samurai bends down and grabs Cruise's leg. Takes him down and spins around for a kneebar.

Last edited:
OH NO YOU DIDN'T!!!!

(Forget Tokyo Zombie)

Which includes a spinning triangle from leg lasso spider guard!

How did this get to the third page without anyone mentioning Brazilian Brawl? Starring a posse of Machado brothers, picking crops and breaking bones.

That's right, Dexter is always using that RNC. Dexter is awesome. I bet his character would be beast at jiu jitsu :icon_twis

If you go back to one of the seasons before doakes dies he's investigating dexter (college etc) and finds out dexter has a few years into some martial art...trying to remember which one it is...for some reason I want to say judo or jiu-jitsu.

Edit: It's Jiu-Jitsu, specifically mentioned in the show....

Its a movie made in Hong Kong, but Flash Point was amazing. Used Judo, BJJ, all sorts of other martial arts and just mashed them all together.

I suggest everyone watch it!

In The Last Samurai during a sparring session one of the Samurais takes tom cruise down and kneebars him. Since it was supposed to be in the 1800's though, it was probably Judo or JJJ.

Its at about 58 mins. Cruise has his back standing, samurai bends down and grabs Cruise's leg. Takes him down and spins around for a kneebar.

I've seen this, and forgot to mention it-- didn't it look like a heel hook to you? I'm sure I'm remembering it incorrectly, or I didn't know enough jiu jitsu when I saw it, but I thought it was a heel hook.

Good reference though-- I liked that one a lot.

If you go back to one of the seasons before doakes dies he's investigating dexter (college etc) and finds out dexter has a few years into some martial art...trying to remember which one it is...for some reason I want to say judo or jiu-jitsu.

Edit: It's Jiu-Jitsu, specifically mentioned in the show....

Yeah, Doakes says Dexter took "Advanced Jiu Jitsu" in College-- how fucking awesome would it be to get college credit for Brazilian Jiu Jitsu?

Talk about a class I'd never skip :icon_twis

I've seen this, and forgot to mention it-- didn't it look like a heel hook to you? I'm sure I'm remembering it incorrectly, or I didn't know enough jiu jitsu when I saw it, but I thought it was a heel hook.

Good reference though-- I liked that one a lot.

I don't think its a heel hook. He does grab the foot though but he doesn't twist it. It looks more like a lazy reverse knee bar where you trap the leg while you are facing the same direction as your opponent and push the leg away from you. I say lazy because he doesn't figure four the leg. It doesn't look technically correct now that I watch it again (got it on my DVR). The more I watch it the more confused I am, lol. I guess it could be as much of a heel hook as it is a knee bar.

Last edited:
In one of the Fast and Furious movies Paul Walker puts Tay Diggs or whatever his name is in a guillotine.

In an episode of Walker Texas Ranger the Machado brothers beat up some dudes and then spar with Walker at the end. In Repo Men Jude Law puts a dude in an arm triangle to try to recover a liver.

The last airbender. The main character Ang pulls guard on the firelords son to get control of him. Don't remember what happens after that.

Does anyone notices that on TV, when someone goes out from a choke (usually from a RNC), it is automatically assumed that they are dead, when in reality the choke would have to be held long after the victim passes out.

This kinda pisses me off as I am always waiting for them to wake up, but they never do.

OH NO YOU DIDN'T!!!!

(Forget Tokyo Zombie)

Which includes a spinning triangle from leg lasso spider guard!

I read this thread to see if I could say Tokyo Zombie first... alas ShanghaiBJJ got there first :icon_chee

Back