BJJ in Cincinnati (US Martial Arts Academy, Amelia)

G

grantsd

I'm trying to find a review for this school... I am interested in learning, and this is the closest place to me! But I also don't want to end up at a McDojo or anything.

Here's their site:
USMAA Home Page

Anyone have experience with them?

i saw this place too. theyre offering a great deal, two private lessons, two weeks of classes, and a gi for $20. Thinking about checking it out anyone trained there?

Looked through the website briefly and did not see any mention to his rank or background in BJJ.

If you want the best BJJ instruction in Cincinnati you are going to have to go to Jim Kelly's or Jorge Gurgel's

If you want to not learn BJJ, that would be a great place to go.

Looked through the website briefly and did not see any mention to his rank or background in BJJ.

If you want the best BJJ instruction in Cincinnati you are going to have to go to Jim Kelly's or Jorge Gurgel's

I agree with this. The place you listed looks, based on the website, to be terrible. No mention of Bjj training based on the instructor page. and classes look like it may be 1hr twice a week.

Jim Kelly's looks much better than that place.

I would recommend JG academy in west chester, you can train 3 hrs every week night under Dan Doerner(brown belt) and Jon Stutzman(black belt).

Guy is a blue belt. I went there once a long time ago...he's not very good.

There is a school in Anderson and also one in Georgetown...http://gtownbjj.com/

Solid purple belts under Shawn Hammonds (a Black Belt under Lloyd Irvin)...great guys. I've trained with them...very solid.

Dan

Guy is a blue belt. I went there once a long time ago...he's not very good.

It must have been a REALLY long time ago - their head instructor is a brown belt, and they have a visiting black belt that does testings and seminars.

I have the pleasure of training there and at a few other schools in the Cincinnati area. Their Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu program is solid. Though they have significantly fewer students than a school like JG, their members have done OK in the tournaments they've gone to (OGC and NAGA, White and Blue levels). Their members also go together to a few seminars and events every year (some of you may even have rolled with their members and instructors at the Pedro Sauer seminar in Louisville last year). Every person I've met there has been extremely nice, and their staff is highly professional.

What USMAA is NOT is a training facility for MMA fighters. One of the very cool things I've seen them do in the past is send students that wouldn't be a good fit there to other local groups. USMAA is for people that want to learn Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu but that don't want to get their arms torn off or punched in the head till they have black eyes every week. To some people, that may seem odd - but, if you are the kind of guy (or gal) that works a 9 to 5 job and is just looking to add a martial arts experience to your life, it makes sense. :) In July, they are moving to a much larger facility about five minutes down the road from their current location - go check them out.

Back